FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums!

Kugas destroyed by fire

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
malph View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2014 at 9:27am
And you Sarah
Got to keep an eye on what all these "newbies" are up to with their Kugas, HugaKuga, Morph and Bob(uptown)excepted of course, they've been around longer than all of us

Edited by malph - 08 Jul 2014 at 11:22am
Lunar Sky Titanium X 163 AWD, Powershift, Appearance/Convenience Packs, 19" and Mud Flaps - Now sold. Now an Audi Q3 211bhp SLine.
Sponsored Links

KUGA_KIDD View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KUGA_KIDD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2014 at 9:38am
Oh GOD, that's the first time I've seen a Kuga with the same colour as mine on the road.... The misty blue grey colour !

I don't think I've seen a Diesel on fire from the engine bay ! Just a thought !!!
unsure View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unsure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2014 at 7:16am
Hello. This was my car. it was a 2010 2.0 TDCI and had covered approximately 50,000 miles. Last serviced and MOT in March 2014. I was driving in the outside lane at 70-75 mph (just in the normal flow) when the car seemed to start "missing". I'm not sure how to describe it but I was uncomfortable with it and thought I'd get off the motorway at the next junction. I changed to the inside line. Before I reached the junction a light came on. I thought it was the passenger seat belt light, but could have been the passenger airbag light. I decided to pull onto the hard shoulder as the car was still not performing properly. I checked the mirror and saw smoke from the rear. i moved onto the hard shoulder and the engine warning light came on and smoke from the bonnet, then all the lights came on, i lost power and foot brake and flames came from the front passenger side of the bonnet. I must have used the handbrake (though can't remember). I was able to get out through the drivers door. The car was completely destroyed. I was and remain grateful to the ex police officer who stopped and ran towards the fire to make sure I was out (no passengers). The insurance company are saying that unless its obvious they won't investigate the cause. the police won't investigate it because I didn't hit any other car. I was able to bet out without a scratch or a bruise, for which I'm very grateful, I was in shock though and to some extent still remain so. I'm sorry for such a long first post. I hadn't found this forum before and have done so now only when friends suggested that I search to see if this had happened to other Kuga's.  
tarmo120 View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tarmo120 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2014 at 8:36am
So you have no idea why your car burned to the ground?
I would atleast expect the insuranse company to investigate, as they insure your car.
Sorry for your loss.
2008 Ford Kuga Titanium AWD Tango(Red)
Morph View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2014 at 8:56am
I'm sure Fords would be interested.

Have you contacted them?

Deep Impact ST Line 180PS AWD, Nav, Camera, Drivers Pack, ST Style Pack, Family Pack, Winter Pack, 19's, Towbar, Keyless.
EddieKUGA View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EddieKUGA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2014 at 6:35pm
Sounds like an electrical fault to me. The main fusebox and battery are both on the passenger side of the engine bay. Cry sad times. 
2012 Kuga Titanium X TDCi 163PS AWD, Panther Black, Appearance pack, 19" 5-spoke alloys (16" Steels + Nokian WRA3 for winter), 7" Touchscreen Nav+, Witter flanged detachable towbar, + loads more...
unsure View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unsure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2014 at 8:09pm
thank you for the replies.

tarmo12 - i have no idea why it burned to the ground and standing there watching it do so was rather scary. I did like/love the car. I am pretty amazed at the insurance companies reaction so far. The police arranged recovery to somewhere local. i informed the insurance company of its location and the police incident number about three hours after it happened. so far its unclear they have even collected it, the comments when I phone are: a) well its out of warranty; b) you weren't hit by anther vehicle so they can take the blame; c) its going to be your no claims that takes the hit and d) it would cost to much unless its really obvious. Maybe when the engineer looks at it I'll get a better idea, I have to ring again at the end of the week.

Morph - I haven't contacted Ford - do you mean the local dealer or somewhere else?

EddieKUGA - I didn't have any warning lights on (dash) before it or anything or would that be irrelevant?
paulyoung666 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulyoung666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2014 at 8:29pm
Insurance, you need to have it but most of the time it is near useless....
kugey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kugey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2014 at 8:53pm
if my memory serves me, wasn't there a thread on here quite a while ago about a Kuga mk1 fire in the heated windscreen washer jets.was caught before it did that sort of damage though 

Edited by kugey - 15 Jul 2014 at 8:54pm
Ford Kuga 2 Titanium 2.0 TDCI AWD 163bhp.Sterling Grey. Convenience Pack. Appearance Pack. Keyless entry.
Gazwats View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Kuga Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gazwats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2014 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by kugey kugey wrote:

if my memory serves me, wasn't there a thread on here quite a while ago about a Kuga mk1 fire in the heated windscreen washer jets.was caught before it did that sort of damage though 
Yep sure was:
09 Zetec with factory fitted: parking sensors, xenon headlights, roof rails, tyre deflation system
Feel like adding your Kuga pictures to Flickr?
Morph View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2014 at 8:02am
unsure. I mean more the customer services.

It's worth a try. It might be a one off, but unless these things are reported to them they won't know and won't investigate to stop it happening in future.

Deep Impact ST Line 180PS AWD, Nav, Camera, Drivers Pack, ST Style Pack, Family Pack, Winter Pack, 19's, Towbar, Keyless.
HugaKuga View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!
The forums Youtube & Google King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HugaKuga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2014 at 7:56pm
Hi Unsure, Thank you for joining and providing some information. Very glad and relieved to hear that you were fine. 
unsure View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unsure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2014 at 8:48pm
Thank you all for your replies.

I have checked the other thread and it described white smoke - mine was very black.

I have emailed Ford - my working hours make it difficult to phone.

I'll post their approach, and the insurance company ......... When I eventually get it
essexeddie View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2014 at 6:55pm

That's why I always carry a fire extinguisher. ( 29 years in the FB)

Edited by essexeddie - 17 Jul 2014 at 6:59pm
KUGA-EDD

The Essex 'KUGA KID'

Driving a 2010 AWD Frozen White Zetec, 47MPG Urban.   With a thingy. And new nuts.
paulyoung666 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulyoung666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2014 at 6:58pm
Surely your typical car extinguisher is going to have little effect on something like this though....
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote essexeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2014 at 7:02pm
Not if you catch it early
KUGA-EDD

The Essex 'KUGA KID'

Driving a 2010 AWD Frozen White Zetec, 47MPG Urban.   With a thingy. And new nuts.
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2014 at 7:07pm
We would all be interested in the outcome.
KUGA-EDD

The Essex 'KUGA KID'

EddieKUGA View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EddieKUGA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2014 at 9:33pm
No warning lights need to be show, as it could be a physical electrical rather than an electronics fault which caused it. It could even have been caused by a fuel rail leak? who knows.
2012 Kuga Titanium X TDCi 163PS AWD, Panther Black, Appearance pack, 19" 5-spoke alloys (16" Steels + Nokian WRA3 for winter), 7" Touchscreen Nav+, Witter flanged detachable towbar, + loads more...
unsure View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unsure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2014 at 12:01pm
Hello

I've spoken to the engineer from the insurance company. He says from my description he considers it electrical. He won't do a forensic examination but will hold onto the car until I get back to him about Ford's response. Ford have asked for more info - police incident number etc. and I have given them the Wales Online details which has another photo as well as the one at the start of this thread.

I'm off to search for market value now to start negotiations with the engineer.

Thank you all - I will update when Ford's get back to me.
superbock View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superbock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2014 at 1:17pm
May I suggest that if it is an engine fire and you have the firefighting  equipment. ,that you only crack open the bonnet about two inches then give the fire a good blast from your extinguisher 
 If the fire does not go out then repeat the drill . 

(Ex Greater Manchester Fireman )

Edited by superbock - 19 Jul 2014 at 1:22pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic