New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - KOC member review - Canada in a Kuga Mk2 / Escape
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums!

KOC member review - Canada in a Kuga Mk2 / Escape

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Dozers Dad View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!
Suspect #1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozers Dad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2013 at 2:51pm
Hi Malph,

I also prefer the look of the MK1. However the MK2 isn't wildly different in terms of looks. So based on that alone I may have considered a MK2.

However if the MK2 doesn't have the same firm/sporty ride. I won't be interested in changing my MK1. I don't drive fast or fling my Kuga around corners but I love the fact that it drives like a normal car not an SUV. Having driven a vast assortment of Range Rovers & Landrovers. I was very pleased to find the MK1 Kuga didn't handle like a pi$$ed hippo! If that has changed with the MK2 I'll keep what I have.

Regards Jez
Owner of "Freddy" the Moondust silver 60 plate TDCi Titanium Z pack, Appearance pack, Bluetooth with USB & Voice control, Reversing camera (Thingy owner but it's been removed for it's own safety) :0)
Sponsored Links

malph View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2013 at 3:24pm
Hi Jez
I'm not saying the Escape wallowed about, far from it, it just didn't feel as close to driving a normal, good handling car as the Mk1 does. I think most of the motoring press have picked up on the point and my experience certainly backed this up.
Lunar Sky Titanium X 163 AWD, Powershift, Appearance/Convenience Packs, 19" and Mud Flaps - Now sold. Now an Audi Q3 211bhp SLine.
Kuga King!
Kuga King!
Suspect #1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozers Dad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2013 at 3:59pm
Hi Malph,

It'll work just fine in a country where good cornering is only something they read about in European car mags then!

If everything else has been improved i.e. more gadgets etc? Why mess with the way it drives/corners?.... "If it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Regards Jez
Owner of "Freddy" the Moondust silver 60 plate TDCi Titanium Z pack, Appearance pack, Bluetooth with USB & Voice control, Reversing camera (Thingy owner but it's been removed for it's own safety) :0)
malph View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2013 at 4:34pm
Hi Jez
From a commercial point of view, I can see where Ford are coming from. The Mk1 and the old Escape were due an update and it was a convenient time to apply their 'global' policy to them. One of the main criticisms of the Mk1 was it's lack of rear seat and boot space and addressing that in combination with the needs of the huge SUV market over the pond, we've got the Mk2. The driving experience has definitely been tilted towards the requirements of the larger market where, as you rightly said, "good cornering is only something they read about in European car mags", not that the car is bad in that respect at all.
Ford's bean counters will probably rubbing their hands together because, in Canada at least, the new Escape is everywhere (common as muck if you likeWink) and it's probably even more common in the good ol' US of A - Yee Ha!!

Mal
Lunar Sky Titanium X 163 AWD, Powershift, Appearance/Convenience Packs, 19" and Mud Flaps - Now sold. Now an Audi Q3 211bhp SLine.
bill3 View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bill3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2013 at 5:46pm
I expect it will be the same in the uk in 12 months.
As for the handling of the mk2 when you push on down a country road it fills like its on rails.then when you want to just cruise it still has all the comfort you could want. I don't think you have this with the mk1 the comfort I mean
I don't understand why people go on about the way it handles there are not many cars you can do this in.

bill
Kuga King!
Kuga King!
Suspect #1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozers Dad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2013 at 7:05pm
Originally posted by bill3 bill3 wrote:

As for the handling of the mk2 when you push on down a country road it fills like its on rails.

bill

Hi Bill,

What does it fill up with? Jelly doughnuts & Big Macs! .... Only kidding, I'm sure it's fine mate?

Regards Jez
bill3 View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bill3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2013 at 7:16pm
hi Jez don't knock it until you have tried it that's my motto and I have tried both. The mk1 was okay but a bit hard on my back and the dash was okay but looked so dated when compared to the mk2.same as when I got back into my 2010 superb with all the bells and whistles which I thought was cutting edge looked so dated compared to the kuga

bill

Edited by bill3 - 01 Jul 2013 at 7:18pm
Kuga King!
Kuga King!
Suspect #1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozers Dad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2013 at 7:31pm
Hi Bill,

Ok mate, maybe I need to have a go in a MK2? However my comments were only based on Malphs findings?

As for the instruments being loads better in the MK2. I don't recall ever not being able to see/use any of my MK1's instruments. So my comment (mainly to Malph) was that I wouldn't be willing to trade the proven superior handling of the MK1 for some pretty blue lights around the instruments.

None of what I wrote was intended to be a pop at yourself or any other owner of a MK2. It was just an opinion based on the experiences of a current MK1 owner who's just completed an extended test drive in a MK2.

Regards Jez

PS.... I'm pleased your like your MK2 enough to spring to it's defence

Edited by Dozers Dad - 01 Jul 2013 at 7:34pm
malph View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2013 at 8:10pm
Something I meant to say earlier. Going from Mk1 to Escape, the difference in the driving experience wasn't that apparent straight away. From Escape back to Mk1 the starkness of the difference was immediately noticeable; strange!
Anyway, wouldn't life be boring if we all liked the same thing. We'd all be driving around in identical tin boxes, probably black or white ones and forums like this would be pointless. Viv le difference I say

Edited by malph - 01 Jul 2013 at 8:11pm
bill3 View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bill3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2013 at 9:03pm

hear hear to that malph, its always nice to have a bit off banter on a forum.no offence taken jez but I still think my kev would show your freddy a clean pair off heels
bill
Kuga King!
Kuga King!
Suspect #1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozers Dad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2013 at 9:39pm
Hi Bill,

Glad to hear that mate

If we are having a race are we allowed to nominate any of our other vehicles? If so I'll get the Mrs to do my stint on "Dizzy" her Triumph trike (see the biker thread in idle chit chat) Or maybe Malph can fly the flag for us MK1 owners whilst piloting his BMW 125i

Regards Jez

Edited by Dozers Dad - 01 Jul 2013 at 9:40pm
bill3 View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bill3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2013 at 10:50pm
that will be okay with me but on the grounds off old age I will nominate my grandson and his bike a Suzuki 750gsxr

bill

Edited by bill3 - 01 Jul 2013 at 11:20pm
Kuga King!
Kuga King!
Suspect #1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozers Dad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2013 at 11:14pm
Originally posted by bill3 bill3 wrote:

that will be okay with me but on the grounds off old age I will nominate my grandson and his bike a Suzuki 750z

bill

Hi Bill,

Is your Grandson the guy on what looks like an orange Kawasaki Z750 (no such beast as a Suzuki 750z) If so I'm kinda impressed. If he's the guy showboating at the front? Somebody needs to tell him his bike will go over another 15+ degrees more before he needs to steady it with his knee! Mind you I can't talk, when I was a youngster I thought scuffed knee sliders impressed blokes & snapped girls knicker elastic at 50 meters?

Regards Jez
bill3 View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bill3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2013 at 11:26pm
hi jez

he is the one on the right and its a Suzuki gsxr so I am told
my bike was a matchless 650 csr that shows my age

bill
Kuga King!
Kuga King!
Suspect #1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozers Dad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2013 at 11:49pm
Hi Bill,

My neighbour has a Matchless. Not 100% what model but I think it's a 500? (I'll ask him) He's had it for donkies years. Infact he & his wife did their courting on it. I believe "Courting" was a popular passtime for young people many years ago?

He's recently retired & after years of ribbing from me about his two wheeled ornament. He got me to help him put it on his bike ramp the other day & once the service items arrive I've got the job of recomissioning it (under his watchful eye of course) I know lesss than jack all about old brit bikes but I'm sure with his expert guidance we'll crack it. I've been winding him up about it being a big job cos some idiot has fitted the gear change on the wrong side! He just shook his head, told me I was a philastine (forgive spelling) & said I can be the tea boy whilst I learn about "Proper bikes!"

Regards Jez

PS....Probably best not to pass my "Showboating" comment on to your Grandson? These youngsters can be very touchy when critisized by the older generation?

Edited by Dozers Dad - 01 Jul 2013 at 11:51pm
A||[a]N View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A||[a]N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2013 at 2:47am
Waoh.... great scenery and great car...
I like the touch screen which Kuga doesnt have Cry
Escapism View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Escapism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2013 at 11:15am
The 2014 Escape have much darker vent trim on the dash, thus eliminating the reflection. Some 2013 owners have swapped them out.
2013 Ford Escape Titanium 2.0
Panoramic Roof, Tow Package, Roof Rack, Kuga Rear LED Tail Lights, Husky Weatherbeaters, Ford Mud Flaps, Kuga Rear Fog Lights, Spoiler, Added NAV, Added Rear Camera
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic