FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums!

How to - Check you have AWD!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Mike S View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to - Check you have AWD!
    Posted: 22 Oct 2009 at 4:14pm
Hi,  I have recently took delivery of my Kuga, there was a cock up with what specification I ordered, anyway I asked the salesman apart from cock up with the spec. (I ordered a DAB radio, but it came with standard) if he could confirm it was def a AWD model, he couldn't, not physically anyway! Hopefully I have, I have searched this forum and read various threads on the subject, but i am still a bit unsure, I haven't been able to look under a 2WD version so not sure exactly what I should be looking for! Can anyone on here supply a photo or two of underneath?

Edited by Mike S - 22 Oct 2009 at 4:26pm
Sponsored Links

Snowman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2009 at 4:43pm
I'll try and photo later on when the missus gets home with the car.
However look at the inside of the rear wheels and see if you can see the driveshaft and joints with rubber gaiters etc. The FWD car won't have them
Titanium, X-pack, Comfort package, blue tooth, Sony, parking heater, 18" alloys AND THE SEAT BACK TRAYS!
Mike S View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2009 at 4:58pm
Thanks snowman, appreciate your help, I'm going outside now to look!
basilfalty View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote basilfalty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2009 at 11:14am
hi all ,havn,t picked up my kuga yet had some hassle about hp that i didn,t need and doing a deal regarding paint protection in exchange for a small amount of hp(the car got sold without much profit £14,987 for a 58 zetec with 6,000 on the clock)buying from dagenham motors.the point i,am getting to at last is the paint protection ,any ideas about d.i.y.regards to all
Dalesman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalesman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2009 at 3:23pm
Hi  Basilfalty
 I posted thequery below on a different thread a few days ago.  No one has told me that they have tried doing it themselves yet.

'My dealer has quoted £199 for Pureguard Paint Protection. There is a chap on e-bay selling the Pureguard kit for £6. He says all you need is a cloth and you apply it in two stages like a polish. Has anyone gone done this route and done it themselves?'
Titanium,TDCi,Chill,X-pack, Conv pack, App pack, Bluetooth+USB
basilfalty View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote basilfalty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2009 at 8:46pm
hi Dalesman,thanks for the info,i have only just joined the club so any info is great.picked up the car this afternoon it drives like a dream,very pleased.been driving a company vw pass for 3 years so driving my own car is great.
mick74 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mick74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2009 at 9:00pm
hi dales man, yeah i can help many years ago i used to be a car valeter and have used all the car protection treatments, and yes they are cheap to buy but greedy dealers are just after big profit  i would recommend do it yourself,after all the hard step back and admire knowing its right
SteveP View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2009 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by basilfalty basilfalty wrote:

hi all ,havn,t picked up my kuga yet had some hassle about hp that i didn,t need and doing a deal regarding paint protection in exchange for a small amount of hp(the car got sold without much profit £14,987 for a 58 zetec with 6,000 on the clock)buying from dagenham motors.the point i,am getting to at last is the paint protection ,any ideas about d.i.y.regards to all

Shocked It must be a Dagenham Motors thing, we collected our year old Kuga on Friday, after a HUGE HP mess up. its now cost us £237 more. Angry letter been sent now tho. Similar price just under 8k miles on ours. Dag Motors in Enfield tho, wouldnt recommend them again. 10 am collection turned out to be 1:30pm....Cry they hadnt taxed it after we put deposit down 10 days before, also never checked the tracking that i requested. Still we live and learn.

Nearly forgot the reason for my post there with my Rant,.LOL

You can check all the vehicle details here  http://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do 

Just punch reg in and spec will be shown, also if any recals are needed.

Edited by SteveP - 27 Nov 2009 at 1:13pm
bobuptown View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobuptown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2009 at 5:11pm
Hi SteveP,  many thanks for that link. When I typed in my reg all my vehicles details were listed build date and even date vehicle was registered.  VIN Number.  Inbuilt Features. Dual Zone A/C, Driver and Passenger seat lumber support.   Advice anyone.   It would appear that my vehicle has an Outstanding Field Service Action,  A Kuga power assisted steering hose.  Reference  9S262. Who will inform me about this hose replacement?  As some will have noted have been forced to return to dealer several times recently, obviously they have got all my details up on the system but unsurprisingly never mentioned anything about an Outstanding Field Service Action,   ie a   replacement P/S Hose.    SteveP  thanks again for a really useful and informative link.   Bob.  
bobuptown View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobuptown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2009 at 5:14pm
Sorry SteveP.  Until I read your story I was beginning to think it was just me.  Listen Good Luck with your Kuga.   Best Regards.     Bob.
Mike S View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2009 at 7:11pm
Hi, thanks for great link, best confirmation yet that I have the 4wd version, did look underneath, but did have some reservation as the salesman didnt know what the difference was! I did look at the list of things my vehicle has, but on the list it stated the vehicle has 'With Supplemental Air Heater', whats this then, does anyone know? or is it ford speak for heater?! Smile
malph View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2009 at 9:56pm
It might be referring to a heater that is fitted to the Kuga for the Scandinavian market. It can be programmed to heat the oil, water and car interior before you set off on cold mornings. The heater runs off a feed from the fuel tank and is programmed through the menu system via the left stalk and dash display.
Sounds brilliant but it's not fitted to UK spec cars!!
Lunar Sky Titanium X 163 AWD, Powershift, Appearance/Convenience Packs, 19" and Mud Flaps - Now sold. Now an Audi Q3 211bhp SLine.
PortKuga View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PortKuga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2009 at 9:34pm
Hi just tried punching in  reg details and found out I had a 4wd rather than 2wd.
Can this site be wrong ?
2.0L TDCI Zetec Moondust silver, Con pack, App pack Panoramic roof, Illuminated scuff plates. Kuga Bootliner, Mudflaps, chrome side and rear sport bars and Brand new shiny silver Ford DRLs.     

PortKuga View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PortKuga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2009 at 9:37pm
Maybe not fwd may mean front wheel drive rather than what I thought  ( four wheel drive )
2.0L TDCI Zetec Moondust silver, Con pack, App pack Panoramic roof, Illuminated scuff plates. Kuga Bootliner, Mudflaps, chrome side and rear sport bars and Brand new shiny silver Ford DRLs.     

malph View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2009 at 10:04pm

Another check is on the vehicle registration document (V5). Have a look a the emissions. 169gm/km is 4wd, 159gm/km is 2wd.

Lunar Sky Titanium X 163 AWD, Powershift, Appearance/Convenience Packs, 19" and Mud Flaps - Now sold. Now an Audi Q3 211bhp SLine.
KUGA4WD View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KUGA4WD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2009 at 10:26pm
Hi Mike S

When I checked the build details of mine I also had this detailed. After a bit of research I discovered the following.

All Kuga's have a Supplemental Air Heater fitted.

Due to the increased efficiency of diesel engines the coolant water does not heat up quickly enough to supply warm air to the passenger cabin.  To get round this problem the Supplemental Air Heater is fitted to supply warm air quickly.

It is not the same as the auxiliary heater fitted to Scandinavian market.

Nice to know ford think of our comfort.

I must admit the last 2 or 3 cars I have had all managed to heat the cabin up before the temperature gauge showed any temperature and I did wonder how this was done.
malph View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2009 at 10:32pm
We learn something new every day Thumbs Up
Mike S View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2009 at 9:53pm
kuga4wd, thanks for advice.
PortKuga View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PortKuga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2009 at 11:22pm
Spot on Malph, just got in road tax renewal and 159gm/km is correct.
2wd it is...

Portkuga

bobuptown View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobuptown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2009 at 3:32pm
Hi KUGA4WD thanks for that very useful information.   PS.  I wondered why this was happening too.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic