FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums!

Horrible Grinding noise from offside rear

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Andywsr View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andywsr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Horrible Grinding noise from offside rear
    Posted: 25 Feb 2017 at 1:56pm
My AWD Kuga has developed a horrible grinding noise from the OSR when pulling out of a left hand junction turning uphill.
I'm assuming the AWD is activating and there is an issue with that Halfshaft.

HAS ANYONE ELSE EXPERIENCED THIS? If so what was the solution and cost to repair.
I have confirmed the AWD is working
 Thanks in advance

Edited by Andywsr - 25 Feb 2017 at 3:55pm
2008 2.0 136 Awd in Chill. Xenons, Retractable towbar, rear bumper protector in stainless steel.
Sponsored Links

mikesmith2939 View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikesmith2939 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2017 at 3:50pm
I've had noises like this on different cars without awd, these turned out to be a stone caught between the brake disc and back plate.
Andywsr View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andywsr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2017 at 5:52pm
i think its more serious than that unfortunately
2008 2.0 136 Awd in Chill. Xenons, Retractable towbar, rear bumper protector in stainless steel.
Andywsr View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andywsr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2017 at 2:14pm
UPDATE!

Still not resolved. However, It only does it when cold, drive it a couple of miles and it won't happen again.
This morning as I pulled out of a junction the noise appeared to have swapped sides.
StJo13 View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StJo13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2017 at 3:01pm
After a few miles the lubricants could be heating up and becoming more effective?
64 Panther Black Titanium 2.0 tdci 140ps appearance pack
Andywsr View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andywsr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2017 at 3:19pm
That's what I'm thinking. It going to have the oil level checked tomorrow
Andywsr View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andywsr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 12:33pm
Andywsr View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andywsr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 12:42pm
OK,

So just got my Kuga back from the dealer.

They road tested it and heard the noise and agreed it sounded mechanical. They checked the oils in both the Haldex and the Rear Diff, both levels were correct.

They then changed both oils. and road tested again. The noise appears to have gone, for now. So they sent me away with my car, and told me to try it for a while.

The noise has disappeared at the moment, so I've got my car back and no bill so far. So we'll see what happens.

I'll let you know if it re-occurs.
keithmac View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keithmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 1:23pm
I think it's the clutch packs vibrating because the oil has degraded and not allowing full hydraulic control of clamping the clutches.
Andywsr View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andywsr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 1:50pm
You could be right. They did mention the Haldex not dissengaging be a possibility
Andywsr View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andywsr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2017 at 10:57pm
UPDATE 2
The noise has returned!

I tried out the AWD system on a Muddy lane, not off-road, just a lane used by a Farm. The next morning the noise was back.

The diagnosis is now a failing Haldex Pump. 

The noise would appear to be the Haldex Clutches not engaging properly due to a lack of Oil pressure.

I have pulled fuse 130 to disable the AWD System and prevent further damage. This obviously result in an "AWD Malfunction" warning on the dash and illuminated traction control lamp.

The vehicle is still driveable, all be it in 2 Wheel drive only.

A new pump has been ordered from Ford £860 ! Genuine not pattern.

Apparently there isn't a replacement pump in the country so it will take weeks to get the part.

I took out a Warranty Direct Insurance policy for my vehicle and have renewed it ever since I have owned it.

This fault was the second claim I have made on the policy and they have said "it's not covered" which was the same response I got last time. I'm taking the matter further via the legal channels. if anyone has any advice on who to contact it would be much appreciated if you could post them on here. 

Many thanks
Ozekuga View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ozekuga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2017 at 11:11pm
Seeing as your Kuga isn't under Ford warranty any more why not take it to an independent garage.
My understanding is the Haldex spares are the same as used by Volvo and Volvo charge much less for the parts.
Or try eBay for the pump.
2016 Kuga Trend MY16.5
2.0L Ecoboost 242 ps AWD with Sync 2 8" touch screen
LED DRL's
Andywsr View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andywsr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2017 at 10:57am
**UPDATE**
Thanks for the advice guys.

Ford could not provide me with a delivery time for the genuine part, not even an estimated time.

I have ordered a pattern part from Haldexparts.com The Pump and Filter will be here early next week.

The cost was £265 delivered. My Ford dealer said they only last about 6 - 12 months but at a 1/4 of the price of a genuine item I can afford to change it Annually. 

My Kuga is currently driving in 2WD at the moment albeit with the ESC light illuminated on the dash. It feels like its got an extra 30BHP, turns into corners much better, and has a slight improvement in fuel consumption.
So I was wondering. would it be possible to install a switch to make the AWD system selectable. 99% of the time it's not necessary to use AWD.

The benefits would be:
Improved performance
Less fuel consumption
Less Tyre wear
Improved handling
Vastly reduced maintenance costs of the Haldex.

Would there be a way of doing this without the ESC light being lit?

Could possibly use a genuine switch for the Traction control as fitted to the Titanium X.

Your thoughts please.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic