FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums!

hesitation @ 2000 rpm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
appy1968 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote appy1968 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: hesitation @ 2000 rpm
    Posted: 15 May 2013 at 1:13pm
Help.

Now that the weather has warmed up a bit I seem to have got an old problem back.

When driving in 2nd or 3rd gear at around 2000 rpm there seems to be a point when the car hesitates.

If you lift off the accelerator or depress it the fault goes away but just cruising at 2000rpm the car judders as if it doesnt know what to do accelerate or slow down.

It might happen in other gears such as 4th or 5th but the feeling is less.

Does anyone know if this is EGR valve related, throttle body and dare i say it DPF ?

Are there any other valves that controll the turbo that may be oscilatting and cause the affect?

HELP please!!

Edited by appy1968 - 15 May 2013 at 1:14pm
Kuga 2008 AWD Sea Grey
MODS, Leather Gaiter and Arm Rest with Orange Stitching, Carbon Fibre Vinyl Wrap gear stick surround, LED Puddles and Interior Lights
Sponsored Links

hollandjones View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hollandjones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2013 at 2:53pm
I have a 2012 2.0 TDCI Titanium 2WD and sometimes get what I have assumed is a bit of Turbo lag. This also happens at just under 2000 rpm. My previous Kuga (2009 2.0 TDCI Zetec AWD) didn't have this issue. Its not the end of the world but I will mention at first service due in 5000 miles. 
appy1968 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote appy1968 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2013 at 3:20pm
thanks but its not turbo lag as it oscilates between having power and no power
Kuga 2008 AWD Sea Grey
MODS, Leather Gaiter and Arm Rest with Orange Stitching, Carbon Fibre Vinyl Wrap gear stick surround, LED Puddles and Interior Lights
kugax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kugax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2013 at 8:49am
hi appy1968 i get a similar thing on my kuga, i am currently waiting to have a new dpf fitted at cost of £725  but there is a back order from ford for these with no idea of a delivery date  not saying it is your dpf but could be it is  starting to clog, up  could also be you  need a new fuel filter? has it ever been changed ? 
electric white awd titanium x pack appearance pack courtesy pack privacy glass 19" alloys sony 6cd park sensors front & rear(seat back trays)
appy1968 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote appy1968 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2013 at 12:57pm
Hi Kugax, yes fuel filter was changed less than a year ago and have another one ready to fit soon.

It's done 99,000 miles and is  a 2008 plate so lots of motorway miles which should prevent the clogging of the DPF.

Have checked for fault codes and nothing present.

Please let me know how you get on with yours.

Untill then I'll have to put up with the Kangaroo
Kuga 2008 AWD Sea Grey
HugaKuga View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!
The forums Youtube & Google King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HugaKuga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2013 at 8:41pm
Mines done this a couple of times usually when coasting at ~2000rpm.. engine feels like it can't decide what to do, just around where the turbo might cut in ... doesn't do it often

tarmo120 View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tarmo120 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2013 at 8:50pm
Well mine (2008 model) does similar things talked about here. But only when the engine is cold.
And just under 2000 rpm.
2008 Ford Kuga Titanium AWD Tango(Red)
Guitarshrubby View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guitarshrubby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2013 at 9:51pm
Hi,
Could be dpf related. My Kuga kept doing this when I first bought it at 14 months old with 6,600 on the clock. It wrecked the performance and I was quite deflated that it wasn't as quick as my old Honda CRV 130 bhp. However, after a 300 mile journey to Cornwall in February (1,000 miles over the week) I can't say I've noticed it again. In fact, the problem now is keeping the speed down......
Les.
2011 Titanium 163PS AWD, Midnight Sky, Appearance Pack,18 inch alloys, Bluetooth Voice Control & USB.
appy1968 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote appy1968 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2013 at 8:16am
Thanks HugaKuga and others.

It seems there are few of us with similar problem but no conclussive root cause.

I will have to see about changing a few things, starting with the cheapest i guess which is MAF, then EGR.

Kuga 2008 AWD Sea Grey
essexeddie View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2013 at 6:18pm
Mine was the same when I first bought it, but after I had it remapped it disappeared. Now its silky smooth.
KUGA-EDD

The Essex 'KUGA KID'

Driving a 2010 AWD Frozen White Zetec, 47MPG Urban.   With a thingy. And new nuts.
appy1968 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote appy1968 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2013 at 12:58pm
Update

I've not had time to replace any parts yet but thought i'd try disconnecting the MAF to see if the fault went away.

Guess what, it's gone!!!!

no more hesitation or kangarooing around 2000 rpm.

I hope this mean it is just the MAF causing the fault and that disconnecting it isnt masking the problem.

i think i'll try cleaning the MAF and see if that help before buying a new one as they arent cheap
Kuga 2008 AWD Sea Grey
parisisal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote parisisal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2018 at 8:18am
Hello,
did you solved the problem ?
I've the same problem. 
Was the MAF ? Was the EGR (dirty) ?

Can someone help me ?
AllanI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllanI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2018 at 2:06pm
Was it the MAF.? Always good to read solutions not problems.
big al your pal View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big al your pal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2018 at 7:40pm
Hi my 2009 was doing this I have tried putting in two cans of sea foam in over two full tanks then put in new fuel filter and air filter and it has cleared it  for now I will see how it runs over the next  day or two  
Kugarider View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kugarider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by big al your pal big al your pal wrote:

Hi my 2009 was doing this I have tried putting in two cans of sea foam in over two full tanks then put in new fuel filter and air filter and it has cleared it  for now I will see how it runs over the next  day or two  

I'm curious to know what sea foam is
2014 Titanium X 140, frozen white, 2wd, appearance pack, moonroof, park assist, lots of goodies
KugaBuga View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KugaBuga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 6:18pm
Whenever you get a problem like this you really do need to see if a good Italian tune fixes or improves it. Make sure you know the road, no cameras, the hillier the better and keep it high revving and under load for a good 15 or so minutes.

The carbon that coats the internal turbo vanes (variable boost) can be really sticky and cause hesitation, lag and loss of power.

big al your pal View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big al your pal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2018 at 7:06pm
Hi Kugarider seafoam is Diesel Petrol Engine injector cleaner go on to youtube and put in seafoam   
Ozekuga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ozekuga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2018 at 5:01am
The problem with Seafoam is that it can dislodge chunks of carbon which then run through the turbo exhaust side with the potential to cause turbo issues.
2016 Kuga Trend MY16.5 Deep Impact Blue
2.0L Ecoboost 242 ps AWD with Sync 2 8" touch screen
LED DRL's, Mud flaps
bobbuilder49 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobbuilder49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2018 at 9:37pm
i have a kuga 1.5 2016  and seems to have problems haunting now and then an was told its a common fault but surely not right only had car a month 
Ozekuga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ozekuga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 8:15am
Originally posted by bobbuilder49 bobbuilder49 wrote:

i have a kuga 1.5 2016  and seems to have problems haunting now and then an was told its a common fault but surely not right only had car a month 

If you've only had it a month, surely it must still be under warranty.
I would take it back and ask the garage to fix it.
I don't have the 1.5 but I have an Ecoboost 2.0 and that doesn't hunt at all. Who says it's a common fault?
2016 Kuga Trend MY16.5 Deep Impact Blue
2.0L Ecoboost 242 ps AWD with Sync 2 8" touch screen
LED DRL's, Mud flaps
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic