FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums!

Head unit

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Amnesia180 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amnesia180 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Head unit
    Posted: 31 Dec 2016 at 1:39pm
Hi all,

I'm in the market for a new head unit for my Ford Kuga.

I have a Samsung S7 Edge which has Android Auto and something called MirrorLink.

Ive been looking at double DIN head units and they're mainly geared toward Apple. I do a lot of driving so want something that will connect to Spotify, preview my texts, show caller info etc.

My current setup just involves the Ford Kuga SatNav head unit, so ideally I'd still like this to work (I.e use the GPS Navigation functions through new head unit and Bluetooth calling).

Then the next headache will be getting it to fit in the current head unit space without butchering the dash.

Any advice or suggestions are welcome as I'm pretty new to this!

Cheers!
Sponsored Links

KugaTess View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KugaTess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2016 at 7:45pm
Hi Amnesia, I have a Pioneer AVH-X3800DAB double din unit in my mk1 Kuga it works perfect with my Samsung S7 Edge the only thing with my radio is that there is no satnav on it I use a Tom-Tom satnav unit. Pioneer may do a different model with satnav but I am not sure, you will need a fitting kit. I bought the fitting kit and had it fitted by Car communications. I bought the radio from Halfords and let them fit it they made a right pigs ear of it scratched the dash. I did an engine search and came up with this company you would also need another dab antenna mine is stuck in the corner of the windscreen. To be honest after seeing the fitter install it didn't seem to bad to fit. Hope this helps.

mikesmith2939 View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikesmith2939 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2017 at 4:49pm
Which head unit do you have?

Is it the touch screen version?

If not there some good chinese head units that fit in the dash that include sat nav, bluetooth,  phone mirroring etc.

These are made to fit straight in.

Are the Ariel inputs a standard plus fakra or both fakra?

If both fakra then an adapter will also be needed.
MK1 CDTI Titanium with appearance pack and powershift. 150 bhp.
KugaTess View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KugaTess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2017 at 7:16pm
Hi Mike, Yes the unit has a touch screen the Ariel has a SMB connecter as the Sony must be the fakra. The Ariel is from Autoleads the unit plays dvd's also you can connect a reversing camera, I bought the extra connectors to run from the steering controls, you can obtain a module if you want to run the satnav on it. I haven't had any dealings with Chinese units so I can't comment on them, all in all I am very satisfied with the Pioneer but it's every body to there own taste. I also run a USB flash drive with pre recorded music on that sounds ok.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amnesia180 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2017 at 12:28pm
Hi,
Mine is not the touchscreen version. Just normal SatNav.
It already has all the steering controls etc.

Essentially all the head units I see for iPhone allow you to use your phone maps program, and Spotify, and see email notifications etc. But I don't see anything equivalent for an Android auto or mirrorlink type head unit.
mikesmith2939 View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikesmith2939 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 5:05am
Here's one,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Transit-Mk7-Kuga-Android-5-1-HeadUnit-DAB-Radio-GPS-Sat-Nav-WiFi-Stereo-DVD-/182270481342?hash=item2a702ad3be:g:KKcAAOSwMgdXzt7p

Just type in kuga radio

MK1 CDTI Titanium with appearance pack and powershift. 150 bhp.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Amnesia180 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 9:43am
As an update, I've been doing a lot of research and nearly all Headunits (Joying, etc) state that if the Headunit had factory fitted SatNav, these replacement Android Headunits will not work... Can anyone explain why this is? Surely it's not different to replacing the standard Headunit, it's only the workings of the Headunit that contain the SatNav and that will be removed when the new unit is installed?

tarmo120 View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tarmo120 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 5:11pm
When you have some electrical knowledge, you can make everything work.
I fitted the Eonon GA2114 and even managed to get the steering buttons work.
So everything is possible.
2008 Ford Kuga Titanium AWD Tango(Red)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic