FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums!

Gap between rear seats & boot cover

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
murcod View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murcod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2017 at 5:59am
That gap has been talked about on here somewhere as well. I think that may be more intentional design as it makes access into the cargo area easier without having to retract the cover each time.If you haven't got the privacy glass it would be another very obvious gap.
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
Sponsored Links

Fillco View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fillco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2017 at 6:04am
I guess your thread is in the same vein as this thread.

Well Kathryn it seems its taken Ford 4 years since 2013 introduction of the MK2 and the start of this thread it seems, to introduce the modification for the front edge of the luggage cover/shade as Ford call it. So the 10cm gap at the tailgate end may have a few years to go before anything, if anything, will be done to correct that. But the rear gap has been these in 2013 so its nothing new.

It's hard to understand how the designers believe the device is adequate as a security cover and they dont even elude to any security aspect in the hand book other than luggage cover or cargo shade. Its almost like a 'token gesture' at providing some security of the load area and were not given enough time to finish, it so they simply leave it.

Kuga Titanium X Sport 180 Manual(AWD), Magnetic (with a few extras). March 2016.
Makes you want to drive it, though not necessarily buy it.
Pennine MC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pennine MC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2017 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by Lich Lich wrote:

You misunderstand, I think. The rear seats have a standard, comfortable reclined position as in my photo, and a couple of more upright positions should your back or your cargo requirements need it.

This feature is a side effect of the folding mechanism, not an intrinsic part of it.

I don't know if I misunderstand or not, tbh (not that I'm arguing)    

As I understand it (and based on the pre-facelift Mk2), the 'standard' position leaves a gap, and the seats have to be reclined further back to minimise it (although it's still there to some extent). Whether it's cause or effect is a bit of a moot point IMHO.

Originally posted by Fillco Fillco wrote:

I think the lift squab idea actually reduces the length and as it is the payload area is almost level.

Yep, I can see that Phil, and I'd guess it does partly explain why the added 8cm length of the Mk2 produces an additional 8 inches from back of front seats to boot lip. I'd still prefer the traditional arrangement, but I suppose Ford felt under pressure to max out the cubic volume figures for the loadspace compared with the Mk1.

In practical terms, I tend to the view that with privacy glass, it's not a great issue. But sat in the back seat, looking over the loadspace only just half-covered, it does look bloody poor.

Edited by Pennine MC - 08 Mar 2017 at 12:02pm
Ian

Sep 2010 - April 2016: 2010/60 163ps/4WD Titanium in Sea Grey with appearance pack.

Feb 2017 - : 2016/16 180ps/4WD Titanium X in Magnetic with appearance pack and Sync2 satnav.
Fillco View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fillco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2017 at 12:05pm
Yes shamefully poor, if Ford had any pride.
Kuga Titanium X Sport 180 Manual(AWD), Magnetic (with a few extras). March 2016.
murcod View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murcod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2017 at 1:14pm
The rear seat squabs/ base does fold down towards the floorpan as the seat backs are folded forward. So they've at least done that. (I was actually impressed when I noticed they'd gone to that trouble.)

I've had cars in the past where the squab folds forward and found it a pain. (Being a taller driver it often meant I either had to remove the squab completely from the vehicle or drive with my seat further forwards.)
schnipps View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schnipps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2017 at 8:57pm
My new st line has a separate cover at the front for the gap like the edge does. So you can't see in now.
Parisbun View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Parisbun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2017 at 4:12pm
Just bought a new cover, the issue is now resolved
Valkrider View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Valkrider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2017 at 8:06am
Photos and part numbers would be good.
--
Colin
Ford Kuga 2.0TDCi (140ps) AWD Titanium Powershift (mid 2014) in Sterling Grey
Gary Hooper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Hooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2017 at 4:31pm
Hi Queenie, I also thought thiswas an issue, until I realised that the answer is to adjust the seats back.
Just lift the bar beside the seat (that you lift to fold the seat), & push the seatback, back.
This makes more room forany passenger, leans the back to a similar angle to the front seats, & importantly, closes the gap you mention!
Why on earth Ford didn't make this the default setting is beyond me!
Hope this answers your question.
Parisbun View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Parisbun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2017 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by Valkrider Valkrider wrote:

Photos and part numbers would be good.

Not sure how to upload photos, just joined the site. I bought it from Ford parts uk. I have deleted the e- mails but will check if there is a part number.
Parisbun View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Parisbun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2017 at 10:52pm
OK part number is as follows, cost me £130 delivered

2 109 702
CV44-U55066AE-35B8

Made in Poland 

www.fordpartsuk.com

Edited by Parisbun - 07 Apr 2017 at 10:53pm
Parisbun View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Parisbun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 10:55am
murcod View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murcod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by schnipps schnipps wrote:

My new st line has a separate cover at the front for the gap like the edge does. So you can't see in now.

I had mine in getting serviced today and checked out a new Escape (name changed in Australia). One had the tailgate open and what appeared to be exactly the same cargo blind as my 2016 Kuga- it was missing the new piece that attaches to the seat back. It was the bottom of the range, but I'd imagine that would be the same for all 2017 models?

Chris1lord View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris1lord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2017 at 8:02pm
I have noticed the gap and my wife has reclined the rear seats to hide the gap. I owned a Mazda once that had the same issue, on the boot cover it had a thick fabric flap that would hide the gap. Having rear tinted windows helps a little too
2013 Kuga Titanium TDCI auto, Blue colour, 19" alloys
EwenM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EwenM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 6:34am
im a new boy to the Ford Kuga , and this site, and I'm really encouraged if this is all you have to worry about 7 pages about a gap, wow.

i had a BMW X5 E53, go to XOUTPOST and the E53 sub section and look at faults
door handles that break, window mechanism that break, pano sunroofs that fail, rear suspension that cannot be aligned without after market off set camber bolts, motors that leak oil, Vanos systems that seals fail in, electric cooling fans that fail, dash pixels that fail, transfer case actuators that fail, suspension components that prematurely fail, drive shaft boots that fail. motors that are so diabolically complex that the average guy shakes his head and wonders why.

get the point with a prestige car such as the BMW X5 your life will be a misery, four years i had mine before i said enough.

so its heartening to come here and the big debate is in the gap between the rear seat and privacy screen, think I'm going to love this car
Fillco View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fillco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 6:58am
That makes me feel much better Ewan, however unlike BMW, Ford will admit that anything that appears faulty, is designed that way. No joke, that is 100% true and I do have that in writing on Ford headed paper, so they aint bothered about telling anyone.
dexterPicard View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dexterPicard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 8:55am
Originally posted by EwenM EwenM wrote:

get the point with a prestige car such as the BMW X5 your life will be a misery, four years i had mine before i said enough.
Wow! I might think twice about looking for a used X5 in 2027, around 10yrs old, when its down to a cost i can pay :)

I actually thought BMW was quality built and now i know better.

Did i forget to mention the gap is fixed in later models, like the one i got now :)

Edited by dexterPicard - 08 Nov 2017 at 8:56am
Curr: 2017 Kuga MCA ST-Line, 1.5 , Shadow black, rearcam, driver ass. pack, park. pack, panorama, Sync3/SatNav, 18" & 19", rails, keyless.
Prev: Kuga Titanium Ecoboost 1.5 Petrol (2015) Magnetic.
4wdKuga View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4wdKuga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 11:01am
German engineering I`m afraid my Porsche 911 is bad - simple poor quality VW parts that you have to pay a fortune for `cause its got Porsche packaging and part number, and impossible to do any work on, my daughters Mini Cooper is the same, over engineered and awful to work on with expensive over priced  BMW prices!

Stick with a Ford!

Del.

2016 Impact Blue AWD 180 TDCI Kuga Titanium Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
  Share Topic