FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums!

Filter change - Bleeding air-locks.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mickycaine View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mickycaine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Filter change - Bleeding air-locks.
    Posted: 28 Dec 2012 at 12:09am
Hi guys, just to add my experience..

I had to change alternator so had to remove filter assy.entirely to gain access.
I didn't remove or changed filter but i did open to check that the body was indeed full with fuel (as tarmo120 said).
On refitting and starting, the engine ran for 2-4secs then died!! Cry
Presuming i'd developed an air-lock i gave it a thorough Googling and none of the tricks i read online worked:
Tried key-on/key-off several times to operate low pressure pump..
Tried squirting carb-cleaner into intake whilst turning over..
Tried filling filter bowl first then doing the two previous tricks again..
I didn't try a tow-start because i was worried about pump damage as the engine would be turning without fuel to lubricate pump, not to mention Cat or DPF damage Dead.

Finally i bought a £12 syphon/priming pump

....and did the following:

I connected the input(lift) side of the pump to the output (marked"out") of the filter body. I then pumped the fuel from the tank, through filter into a container until i was happy there were no air locks.
I then removed the output of the syphon pump from the container and connected it to the diesel-pump fuel-line using an adapter i made from the body of plastic pen. The adapter sleeved inside the syphon pump hose and sleeved perfectly inside the o-ring fitting of the diesel fuel-line.
I could now pump fuel (un-airlocked) from the tank, through the filter and force it up the fuel-line into the diesel pump.

I kept pumping until i could see the fuel through this fuel-line (and i could pump no-more):

I then started the engine with the hand-pump still connected in-line to remove any further air-locks.
After a few seconds of running (to make sure it was okay) i turned off again. I then switched the fuel-line and syphon pump hoses back to their correct positions as quickly as i could.
Basically, tried to do this in one hit by pulling the adapter from the diesel-pump fuel-line connector at the same time i pulled the syphon pump hose from the filter-body output. I then quickly connected the fuel-line in its place.

Finally i restarted and let it idle for a while.

Hope this helps someone out.

Edited by mickycaine - 28 Dec 2012 at 12:46am
Zetec, Black, Conv.pack, 53000 miles and rising ;-).
Sponsored Links

Niall View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!
Billy no mates shiny NEW car!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Niall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2012 at 9:22pm
You seem to have had your problems! But, excellent recovery - and another useful series of tips comes to the aid of the Kuga community.

Thanks on everyone's behalf.

Cheers,
Niall
2.0TDCi 163PS AWD Titanium X PowerShift; Lunar Sky; Dec '12; Conv-Pack, App-Pack, SD SatNav + Rev. Camera; 8-off 18" Alloys + Continental Summers/Dunlop Winters; Seat Trays; Thingy; KOC TDH; BSG !!
petit_jim View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petit_jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2013 at 2:44pm
Nice work!

A question. Before pumping, could you first reconnect the filter outlet to the fuel pump, and then use the pump just on the inlet side, between the fuel arrival line and the fuel filter inlet ?

2.0TDCi 163PS AWD Titanium Manual; Silver; Sept 11; App-Pack; 19" wheels Nokian Z SUV tyres
mickycaine View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickycaine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2013 at 9:56pm
Hi Jim.

To be honest i didn't try this way so it may well work.
What i wanted to be sure of was removal of all possible airlocks and completely fill the filter bowl. I therefore hand-pumped into a suitable container first from the output side of filter then connected into the line to force fuel up into pump. Finally i re-connected quickly afterwards.
The hand-pump seemed to work well this way.

Zetec, Black, Conv.pack, 53000 miles and rising ;-).
tarmo120 View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tarmo120 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2013 at 10:26pm
You had the same problem I had. And same solution helped you out as well as it helped me.
But since you were in the city(I would assume) you could get the special pump. All I had was a glass jar, vacuum clearner and a hose. Worked the same way.
2008 Ford Kuga Titanium AWD Tango(Red)
petit_jim View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petit_jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2013 at 10:46am
I'm truly in awe of guys that are top notch MacGyvers. Respect.  Thumbs Up

Tarmo120, how on earth did you use the vacuum cleaner ?  
2.0TDCi 163PS AWD Titanium Manual; Silver; Sept 11; App-Pack; 19" wheels Nokian Z SUV tyres
W Shep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W Shep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2013 at 11:43am
Originally posted by tarmo120 tarmo120 wrote:

You had the same problem I had. And same solution helped you out as well as it helped me.
But since you were in the city(I would assume) you could get the special pump. All I had was a glass jar, vacuum clearner and a hose. Worked the same way.

I used the same method (vacuum cleaner) to purge the air from the line between the tank and fuel filter by "sucking " it through, but my problem was to prime the line from filter to the pump. 
The way I got around that was to use the same 'bottle system' and connected it to the fuel line leaving the filter to the pump, and blew it through to the pump using an airline, re-connected the pipe as quickly as possible (to prevent air getting in) and started the car.
tarmo120 View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tarmo120 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2013 at 7:56pm
If I have time I'll make pictures tomorrow.
The reason this air lock happens is the fuel flows back to the tank.
Easiest way to prevent this is to connect the two lines going in and out of the fuel filter.
Also I will make pictures of this.

Actually I found explaining pictures from the internet. Also these inspired me to do the vacume /jar device. 2nd post in this link.
http://www.talkford.com/topic/184816-fuel-filter-replacement-problem/

And the problem of air lock just connect these two lines via the quick connect. Fuel in and fuel out.

Edited by tarmo120 - 29 Nov 2013 at 9:13pm
2008 Ford Kuga Titanium AWD Tango(Red)
FIL 70 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FIL 70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2015 at 10:08am
Replaced the fuel filter last night and yes it airlocked .....

I disconected the fuel line going into the head on the engine, which is easily removed and did things the old fashioned way by sucking the diesel through the pipe until i managed to maintain a full fuel line (certainly not recommended as you should never get fuel in your mouth and you certainly should not ingest it) and quickly put the connection back onto the head.  A few turns of the engine and she kicked into life.  I think a very basic but effective way of getting things back working again as I needed the vehicle today and didn't have a pump etc. I will certainly be looking at investing in one.......Tongue

Edited by FIL 70 - 18 Feb 2015 at 11:02am
Newwave19 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newwave19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2016 at 10:24pm
Just had to get my alternator replaced, and got an air lock in the fuel line too. End up just conning a suction pump to the fuel out pipe from the filter, and once the fuel was up that far, quickly connected the pipe again, and started straight away....so didn't need it the full way along the out pipe
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic