FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums!

Engine " rattle ".

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine " rattle ".
    Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 4:22pm
Advice please. I have a 2012 " 62 "plate 2litre diesel Kuga with a mileage of 31,700. It runs well and gives a good mpg.
For the last few weeks there has been an engine rattle, similar to ' pinking ' when the engine was cold . Early this week I filled up with supermarket diesel, and engine has become more rattley even then hot. Is there any truth in the rumours that supermarket fuel is questionable and should I worry about long term damage.
Sponsored Links

hillybilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hillybilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 6:21pm
I always ran the kuga on the best I could get the same goes for its replacement but iff it's that bad rattle a rattle you might have some contaminated fuel in the tank if it were me and it's that bad I would be taking a fuel sample and having a close look at it possible have it tested
Chad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 6:43pm
Thanks for that. I'll check it out. Any idea what the rattle itself could be. Diesels don't have tappits as far as I know which is a similar sound.
Chad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 6:59pm
Thinking about it, the sound is best described as " pinking ", as with a badly timed petrol engine.
paul.m View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paul.m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 7:56pm
I have a customer who had problems while on holiday first thing breakdown company asked was had he put supermarket petrol in . In the end had to have a new set of injectors . Wife has a Suzuki Alto and even she can tell it runs better on quality petrol .
Chad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 10:13pm
Many thanks Paul. Seems fuel could be the problem then. I'll check it out tomorrow.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hillybilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 9:50am
The cars ecu can cope to a certain extent with a differance in fuel cetane rating the rattle
Is pre ignition it may also help to get it on the motorway for a good blast over 2000 rpm
Chad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 12:25pm
Ha ha.... Oh Hillbillie. That is a good idea, but unfortunately my nearest motorway is 100miles south of here. Nevertheless I'll try a blast down the A9 next time I'm over East. Put a water disposal product in the tank this morning and it's near sorted the rattle. Thanks for advice. Much appreciated.
tarmo120 View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tarmo120 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 2:38pm
What kind of oil do you run in your engine?
2008 Ford Kuga Titanium AWD Tango(Red)
Chad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 4:07pm
Hi Tarmo.   I wasn't sure as vehicle had been " serviced " by dealership when I bought it last May. In view of the Rattle I had my garage change oil and filter to recommended oil just in case. Good point though. I simply do not trust dealerships " servicing " nowadays.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hillybilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 6:36pm
So your up the top have a blast round the 500 might be entertaining was two years ago when wee were up,
Chad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 10:48am
Hi Hillybilly. Am doing the 500 first week in May. Have done it three times previous, but we do it on motorcycle. Weather permitting it should be good.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hillybilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2018 at 6:39pm
We went round the top with our caravan summer 2016 dodging old land rover was the biggest challenge
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic