FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums!

engine oil

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
john1938 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john1938 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: engine oil
    Posted: 03 Apr 2018 at 6:53pm
Totally confused by ad hoc info from everywhere on line. anyone know what is the engine oil grade in a 2l 180bhp diesel engine Kuga 2015
Sponsored Links

Ozekuga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ozekuga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2018 at 7:47am
According to my Warranty and service guide, the Diesel engine uses SAE 0W-30 meeting the requirements of specification WSS-M2C950-A
2016 Kuga Trend MY16.5 Deep Impact Blue
2.0L Ecoboost 242 ps AWD with Sync 2 8" touch screen
LED DRL's, Mud flaps
john1938 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john1938 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2018 at 10:37am
Thanks Ozekuga it is in mine now I have found it among all the other Ford engines listed, should have read to the bottom of the page properly, thanks again  
4wdKuga View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4wdKuga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2018 at 2:31pm
According to Castrol their Magnetec Stop Start fully synth 5W-30 is recommended.

I am  little wary of using 0W oils as I remember when it was recommended for Cosworths which was OK with little mileage but as mileage increased eventually oil used to bypass seals as 0W is like water.

Del.
2016 Deep Impact Blue AWD 209 BHP TDCI Kuga Titanium Sport
ian67 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ian67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2018 at 3:15pm
I use Castrol Magnetec stop start 5w-30 A5 on my 2014 2.0 163 Kuga
Normally buy it when it`s on offer in asda and tesco and keep in in stock. 
Bought last lot from Tescos a few weeks ago it was £9 for 2L.
Ian

tractorboy View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tractorboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2018 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by 4wdKuga 4wdKuga wrote:

According to Castrol their Magnetec Stop Start fully synth 5W-30 is recommended.

I am  little wary of using 0W oils as I remember when it was recommended for Cosworths which was OK with little mileage but as mileage increased eventually oil used to bypass seals as 0W is like water.

Del.

A 0W is is just thinner at low temperature, but still much thicker than at high temperatures.  I can see that an oil with low viscosity at 100C being a problem but I can't see why the low temp viscosity would cause a problem.  Am I missing something?

Bob
2013 Kuga Titanium X 2.0 TDCI 163PS Powershift AWD SYNC1
4wdKuga View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4wdKuga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2018 at 2:20am
The overall viscosity (thickness) of 0W-30 is like brake fluid compared to a thicker oil say a 20W-50 hence it is more likely to be able to bypass some seals as they wear.

My Rotary engined RX-8 uses a 5W-30 oil as it gives less drag hence better fuel consumption but all the Rotary engine builders then discovered that it just wasn`t retaining a good oil film on certain bearings as wear develops compared to the same engine internals as used in the earlier RX7 which used a 10W-40 oil which never suffered the same bearing wear hence we now use the 10W-40.

Ultra low viscosity oils are OK when an engine is new but not so much as wear develops.

Del.

Edited by 4wdKuga - 05 Apr 2018 at 4:26am
2016 Deep Impact Blue AWD 209 BHP TDCI Kuga Titanium Sport
tractorboy View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tractorboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2018 at 11:00am
Yes I used 10w-40 in my Rex too :-)

I still don't see why 0W is a problem though.  It's the 100C viscosity that will cause the problems you refer too if too thin.

Bob

2013 Kuga Titanium X 2.0 TDCI 163PS Powershift AWD SYNC1
murcod View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murcod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2018 at 2:41pm
I'm no expert, but from what I've read the lowest cold rating number is the base viscosity of your oil. Modifiers (my wording) are added that react to heat and thicken the oil when it's hot. These modifiers can be sheared/ broken down which can result in the hot rating dropping back towards your base (cold) viscosity reducing protection.

So the bigger difference between the cold and hot rating the more viscosity modifiers are in the oil. 

That's my simplistic memory of how it works.

As for all the 0W and 5W oils with lower and lower high temp viscosities, manufacturers are using them to improve fuel economy figures.

Make sure whatever you use meets the Ford specifications for your engine. So you're covered for any problems while under warranty.
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
keithmac View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keithmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2018 at 8:01pm
As said above, running lighter/ thinner grade oil is all geared around the fuel economy and emission figures rather than what's best for the engine..
mad skiier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mad skiier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 8:17am
Done a bit of research on the oil specs.

Castrol Magnatec 0-30 D - Broughton Lubricants of preston do 20ltr packs #126 inc vat 
(#8.20 delivered) or can collect

(3 oil changes + some for top up)

Comma also do a oil with the same spec, #120 for 20ltrs

For the sake of six quid over 20 ltrs, I would put the exact stuff ford say for now.
You can send a sample to Millers oils and they will an*lyse it for you, I'm sure that is the first thing Ford would do if an engine warranty claim comes through.

At the time of posting, (so don't shoot me down)
not all oil manufactures do the exact match. Mobil not quoted one yet Morris none 
and even Shell not exact.

two points mentioned: 
My old pug partner van [09] 1.6hdi, (5w-30) similar to the Kuga engine,after 90k miles
was starting to weep oil from different parts, sump seals, & faint turbo leakage.

2nd point:the oil change interval 8-10k miles is better for the engine overall
once soot starts, and fuel debris in oil, it all goes off in the last 2k miles.
(Did tribology at University)

Look at Disco sport forums, re oil issues stretching 22k mls between oil changes.
JLR doing free oil change on warranty at every 8 -10k - what does that tell you??

MK2 Kuga, Frozen white,180hp AWD, shift stick,Sync, reverse sensor, app pack, mudflaps, much better than the 1.6HDi peugeot partner before similar engine.. Looking forward to the Kuga journey
Fillco View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fillco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 1:11pm
And what's the service interval on new Kuga's, should that be a concern?
Kuga Titanium X Sport 180 Manual(AWD), Magnetic (with a few extras). March 2016.
Makes you want to drive it, though not necessarily buy it.
keithmac View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keithmac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 hours 31 minutes ago at 2:29pm
I wouldn't contemplate doing 20,000 miles per engine oil change "long life oil" or otherwise!.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic