FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums!

Driving in Europe

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Kugal View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kugal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Driving in Europe
    Posted: 04 Apr 2010 at 4:30pm

Hi All,

We are off on holiday in a few weeks time, 14 nights travelling in Europe.

The route is pretty much unplanned but we intend to drive down to Southern Germany/Black Forest area, then into Austria and Switzerland, back up through France. Channel crossing using the Tunnel.

We have driven in Belgium/France and Germany before but only for long weekends.

Not sure exactly what we need to take with us, so far we have a Warning Triangle and First Aid Kit.

Unsure if we have to do any mods to the Headlights, will not be doing any night time driving.

Anyone have any advice on things to take, places to stay etc.

al

Panther Black 2.0 AWD Titanium Appearance Pack Convenience Pack Bluetooth 18 inch wheels
Sponsored Links

malph View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2010 at 4:48pm
If you're going through France, I think it's law to have High Vis Vests for all the cars occupants. And, apparently, it's against the law in Belgium to use Cruise ControlConfused

Edited by malph - 04 Apr 2010 at 4:52pm
Lunar Sky Titanium X 163 AWD, Powershift, Appearance/Convenience Packs, 19" and Mud Flaps - Now sold. Now an Audi Q3 211bhp SLine.
Kugal View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kugal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2010 at 5:08pm

Hi malph,

thanks for the link, didn't know about the hi-vis jackets, but do have a couple that I use for work!!

al

Panther Black 2.0 AWD Titanium Appearance Pack Convenience Pack Bluetooth 18 inch wheels
stu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2010 at 7:06pm
also a fire extinguisher !

Cheers

Stu
Hartly View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hartly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2010 at 7:11pm

Stu,

I would also check the score with using a space saver tyre in Germany ............ got a funny feeling its against the law which is why Audi's and Passats have full size spares ???

Nick
Sorry guys has to Panther Black all the time ...... Zetec AWD and loving it
tartan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tartan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2010 at 7:56pm
I think its a requirement to carry a spare set of car lamps.Take your car documents and insurance with you.There is also a road levy in Austria and Switzerland of about 40 Euros but it lasts a year.A must to see is the St Gotthard tunnel so carry on into Italy and you won't be disappointed coming back through the St bernard tunnel into France.Try Luxembourg for your fuel as there was this hill and it had about 10 garages on it all selling fuel at prices we can only remember.Pop into Leclerc supermarche in France for your wines on the way back and select the ones with a gold or silver disc on the label.I'm off touring next year in Europe,enjoy yourselves
Gazwats View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Kuga Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gazwats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2011 at 10:44am
From reading a few posts from other members it seems like a few of us regularly spend time driving around France in our Kuags.

I've just read the following info regarding changes to the road traffic laws including the removal of the signs giving advance warning of speed cameras:

Quote The French government has announced it will remove the road-signs that warn drivers of an approaching speed camera, as one of a number of measures aimed at improving road safety.

Ministers took the decision at a specially arranged inter-ministerial committee meeting on road safety.  Amongst other measures:

• Drivers caught doing more than 50km/h over the speed limit will be punished through the courts
  • Drivers caught drink driving with more than 0.8g of alcohol in their blood, will receive an eight point penalty, rather than the six currently in force
  • Drivers caught using a telephone at the wheel will receive a three point penalty rather than two.
  • Those caught driving with a screen (assuming this means Sat Nav or radar detecting) screens or operating in the field of view of the driver will get a hefty increase in fine from 135€ to 1500€, as well as three points taken away, with the possibility of their equipment also being seized.
On motorways, those caught driving on the hard shoulder will now receive a fixed penalty of 135€ and a three point penalty, and rumble-strips will be rolled out to all motorways as a safety measure, as and when they are upgraded.

The French government also has plans to roll-out 1000 new fixed speed cameras across the country between now and the end of 2012, whilst a trial of a new radar system will start next month using unmarked vehicles carrying equipment that can monitor the speed of a number of vehicles at the same time.  The radars are not detectable by radar detection equipment.

The changes will come into force immediately, and the prime minister has ordered that the new measures are fully in force for the long holiday weekend in June.  The government has acted on the back of a sharp increase in the number of deaths on French roads in 2011, with an increase of 10% since the turn of the year, and an increase of 20% in April.

http://www.gouvernement.fr/presse/comite-interministeriel-de-la-securite-routiere

09 Zetec with factory fitted: parking sensors, xenon headlights, roof rails, tyre deflation system
Feel like adding your Kuga pictures to Flickr?
newtoford View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newtoford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2011 at 3:18pm
Also don't forget;
Spare bulbs
Triange
Yellow jackets [inside the car, not in the boot]
Spare glasses [thats specs]
GB sticker
Headlight convertors
Spare fuel can

And we think we are worse off!!

Allthough the fuel is a bit cheaper and the roads are better.Wink

163 AWD; Manual; Titanium
Gazwats View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Kuga Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gazwats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2012 at 6:20pm
Seeing as the summer months are rapidly approaching I thought it might be worthwhile mentioning the following to those KOC members who might be planning on driving to or through France as once again there's been a change to the driving laws and what ALL drivers have to carry inside their vehicles.

Although the law kicks in from 1st July there is a 'grace period' until 1st November but it might be worth bearing in mind all the same:

Quote   Motorists and Motorcyclists in France must carry alcohol breathalysers from 1st July 2012

As we reported at the turn of the year in our article 'Tougher Road Traffic Laws in France', the French government was proposing to make it obligatory for all motor vehicles (excluding mopeds) to be equipped with breathalysers to test alcohol levels in a driver’s bloodstream.

Now it’s official with the publication last week of the new law in France’s Journal Officiel, the official French government gazette where all new laws in France are promulgated.

From 1st July 2012, any driver of a motor vehicle (including motorcyclists) will need to add a breathalyser to the list of equipment to be carried while driving in France such as hi-viz vests and warning triangles. The new French breathalyser law applies to all drivers whether French or foreign and any driver discovered by the gendarmes to be not carrying an alcotest breathalyser kit whilst driving will face a fine of €11 once the law is fully in force come 1st November 2012.

Between 1st July and 1st November, the new French breathalyser law as published  in the Journal Officiel provides for a period of grace whereby although the obligation to carry the breathalyser kit on French roads remains, motorists with no on board breathalyser will be warned of the necessity of carrying them. The delay in the imposition of fines is to allow for more publicity of the new driving law in France and to ensure manufacturers of breathalysers in France can cope with demand.

In France, the only exception to the new breathalyser regulations amongst motorised vehicles is mopeds (cyclomoteurs) with an engine capacity not exceeding 50 cc.

Driving whilst under the influence of alcohol remains a major contributory factor to deaths and serious injuries on French roads despite the French legal limit being half that of the UK. Road fatalities on French roads declined by an insignificant amount in 2011 from the previous year’s figures and still hover around the 4000 per annum mark. By comparison, deaths on the UK’s generally much more congested road network stood at 2222 for 2009 and 1857 for 2010.

A spate of serious accidents and spiralling road casualty figures at the beginning of 2011 led the French government to have a rethink on a number of tougher measures including changes in the law on speed camera warning devices and, of course, the new French breathalyser regulations. A further factor concerns an EU obligation on the French government to bring down the number of road deaths. Unless EU target figures are met, then member states failing to comply face stiff financial penalties.

The French government hopes that by merely having the breathalyser equipment in a car, motorists may think twice before taking to French roads having consumed alcohol above the legal limit.

In supermarkets, the breathalyser kits are expected to cost about €1.50 each but it may be advisable to carry at least two breathalysers in each vehicle. If the one and only breathalyser in a car is used, the test is negative and the driver is subsequently stopped by the gendarmes, he or she will not be able to point to an unused, approved, in-date breathalyser within the vehicle.

For multi-car families, buying online may be a cheaper option. Test-drogue.fr, for example, is selling packs of 10 of the breath-test kits for €12.67 (search under ‘ethylotests’).

Any alcotest breathalyser intended for use in France must comply with the French standard Norme Française or NF. Breathalysers must be ‘in date’ to comply with the new French motoring law and the ‘use by’ date on each breathalyser kit carried in a vehicle should be regularly checked to ensure compliance with the new French motoring law.

Source: The full text of the new French breathalyser law can be found on the French government’s Legifrance website - Décret n° 2012-284 du 28 février 2012

Edited by Gazwats - 17 Apr 2012 at 6:28pm
09 Zetec with factory fitted: parking sensors, xenon headlights, roof rails, tyre deflation system
CONCORDE View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CONCORDE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 3:40pm
Best to leave the car at home me thinks Thumbs Down
2010 Titanium AWD Panther Black, Individual Pack (leather heated seats, 19" wheels, privacy glass, roof bars, aluminium pedals and the seat back trays) Convenience Pack and Bluetooth/Voice Control/USB
petit_jim View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petit_jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 4:07pm

Merci Gazwats, very clear.  Smile

There are lots of breathalyzers out there that are rubbish and not approved in France - the gendarmes will check to see if the bag is marked “NF X20-702”, or “NF X20-702 Certifié par LNE". Thumbs Up

Logos such as “NF” on its own, or “CE” are indicative that the product is unfit for purpose.  Thumbs Down  Check before buying, even from a reputable website.

Full English View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

With 2 slices of toast & mug of tea

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Full English Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2012 at 9:22am
Concorde, I had almost come to the same conclusion though as we are booked on the Roscoff ferry in ten days I ought to be a little more focussed (with a small f)
I have the sticky on headlamp converter with a comprehensive instruction sheet, in English, but might as well be in gobbledegook.  Can't ask the dealer for help as bought the sticker and GB sticker online and saved a few bob............. Given time and help from a friend who travels the same route regularly I may well be legal. Since this trip and four identical trips in previous years have not involved night driving I might just take a chance and drive if necessary on dipped, as in daylight limited visibility conditions
Does any one know if the 2011 Kugas have manually switchable beams for the Xenon vehicles?
The Xenon spare bulb provision is a bit more taxing as an owner cannot usually fit these anyway. Thus would the French police demand the car be towed to a dealer, nearest 50 miles, to fit
Anyone have any helpful experience?
Midnight Sky, 2011 Titanium X, 2.5L Petrol Turbo, AWD, Auto, Appearance Pack, Power Converter, 19" Alloys
Gazwats View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Kuga Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gazwats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2012 at 10:18am
Originally posted by Full English Full English wrote:

Concorde, I had almost come to the same conclusion though as we are booked on the Roscoff ferry in ten days I ought to be a little more focussed (with a small f)
I have the sticky on headlamp converter with a comprehensive instruction sheet, in English, but might as well be in gobbledegook.  Can't ask the dealer for help as bought the sticker and GB sticker online and saved a few bob............. Given time and help from a friend who travels the same route regularly I may well be legal. Since this trip and four identical trips in previous years have not involved night driving I might just take a chance and drive if necessary on dipped, as in daylight limited visibility conditions
Does any one know if the 2011 Kugas have manually switchable beams for the Xenon vehicles?
The Xenon spare bulb provision is a bit more taxing as an owner cannot usually fit these anyway. Thus would the French police demand the car be towed to a dealer, nearest 50 miles, to fit
Anyone have any helpful experience?
In the How To? sub forum: http://www.kugaownersclub.co.uk/forum/adjust-xenon-headlights-for-driving-abroad_topic1490.html if you've got xenons you will never need the old fashioned beam benders.

Re spare bulbs: When I go to France I just carry a cheap set (£3 - £4) of replacement bulbs & fuses in the remote chance that they will be needed mainly should the indicators or rear lights blow as I reckon the xenon bulbs themselves are highly unlikely to blow like the old fashioned halogens.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Full English Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2012 at 10:42am
Thank you so much for that. Thumbs UpWill check under the bonnet when I get home from Spain on Tuesday morning.
Will also check specs for which bulbs to buy
Midnight Sky, 2011 Titanium X, 2.5L Petrol Turbo, AWD, Auto, Appearance Pack, Power Converter, 19" Alloys
KugaSpud View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KugaSpud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2012 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by Full English Full English wrote:

Will also check specs for which bulbs to buy

Hi Full English,

Couple of websites to visit to check on bulb types, just select the right vehicle and they tell you what they are for each lamp fitting:

http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk

http://www.powerbulbs.com

Never used either of these sites to supply bulbs, but will be looking in the near future as off to France in the Summer (when it gets here Wink)

KS.
Frozen White 140 FWD Tit, Manual with 18" Alloys, App+Conv Packs, BT/USB -Born 25 Sept 2011, Added Extras: Mudflaps, Wax, KOC TDH, Westfalia Detachable tow bar. Some LEDs and Ford DRLs.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Full English Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2012 at 9:19am
Yup, I do have the yellow Allen key adjuster in the lamps under the bonnet. Whoopee. Have sold the sticky on bulb adjusters to a fellow traveller, at a loss but hey who's counting.Cry
As to bulbs it's a question of what contributes a spare set for Les Gendarmes. Were we to provide a full set the Xenon head ones cost around £150 eachOuch and the indicators over £10 plus a multitude of others that, leaving out the Xenons, could see well the wrong side of £50
I think I'll settle for the small chance of a fine/points and select a couple as you say although the hazard and rear brake and side lights , ignoring the LED panel still work out very expensive
Will only be driving about 250 miles anyway and in the daylight it is probably going to be OK...............
Have tried those sites and others and the water just gets muddied
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Full English Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2012 at 4:23pm

Hi Gazwats, thought you might like to know how I got on in Brittany.................. Great advice and images about adjustment and this was really easy. Only problem being when driving onto ferry for return I forgot which way I had turned the 'screw'. Guessing, I turned three more turns but turned clockwise. After returning to my pc I realised I have therefore turn 6 times clockwise. However I didn't receive any flashes from anyone else on my way back from Plymouth and will remedy this pm by turning 6 times anti clockwise. Next time will print off the sheet and take it with me.

The satnav was really good apart from an input error which meant 3 convoy cars followed me across the great Brest Viaduct, which otherwise they would not have seen. 

As I was moving up the ramp onto the ferry our satnav guide (known in our family as 'Flossie' warned me 'CAUTION FERRY' when I thought 'CAUTION WATER' would have been more appropriate. It's also worth noting that when I entered Brest into the satnav whilst in Plymouth a straight blue route was traced across the English Channel. I know the Kuga is supposed to be off-road but that's pushing it

I was thrilled with the badges I bought. One false start meant I applied a 8" long badge when the curve of the car was too great and the right hand side came adrift. I then cut a channel in the alloy half way and this 'bend' did the trick

I've just noticed my tag has been accredited 'With 2 slices of toast & mug of tea'. Not my posting but sounds OK
Thanks to all 

BruceKuga View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BruceKuga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2012 at 4:42pm
Just had an email from the AA regarding driving in france....

From 1st July 2012 all vehicles travelling in France must carry a breathalyser "NF" (Norme Française) approved. The AA recommend that two are carried and this handy twin pack fulfils our recommendation. This product carries the French certification mark and is therefore designed to meet the obligation under French law that anyone driving in France carries a NF standard breathalyser from 1st July 2012. It is important that you read and comply with the manufacturer's instructions. AA Media Limited and Associated Companies cannot accept liability for any losses suffered or caused by you or any third party arising from use or reliance on this product where such losses are not foreseeable at the time of your purchase and are not a direct result of a breach of a legal duty of care owed by us or a direct result of a breach by us of the terms and conditions of sale. Nothing set out above reduces your statutory rights regarding defective or mis-described goods or limits liability for death/personal injury caused by negligence.

June '16 Titanium X 180 AWD Shadow &
June '17 Titanium 150 2WD Magnetic
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Full English Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2012 at 5:37pm
Have just returned from Brittany where I was told although the law is effective from July no penalties will be applied before November to allow for drivers to comply................ Check yourselves though. Definitely shop around as I have seen them for £34 in Halfords but they should be a lot cheaper in France. I have a friend in France looking for them as he is hosting a party of 30 drivers later this summer. Beware as some are only €6 but uncertified
HugaKuga View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!
The forums Youtube & Google King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HugaKuga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2012 at 8:32pm

What a stupid rule ... was this introduced by the French Association of Breathalyser Manufacturers ???

What next - every car must have half a kilo of locally produced cheese, and an assortment of patisseries???

Or have the French Police run out of money - so they'll borrow your breathalyser if they suspect you of drink driving...?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic