FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums!

Dashboard flickering and relays clicking

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
andy1212 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy1212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dashboard flickering and relays clicking
    Posted: 12 Dec 2016 at 7:57pm

Hi all,

At random inconsistent times the Kuga will not start when the Start button is pressed, the dashboard flickers and relays click. It does this about once a week and the only way to get it going is to jump start it. When it does not start, the battery has around 12.8 volts still in it so battery is not flat which is confusing, but still requires a jump to start it!! When connected to another vehicle, the car will start within the time it takes from connecting the last lead, walking to the driver's seat and  pressing the Start button, it fires no problem, without leaving it for a few minutes to charge my battery.

So the battery has enough charge in it to start it, but won't Start without a jump and then once started, the voltage reads 13.9 volts so the alternator charging system must be also working and no dashboard warning lights ever come on.

There is no obvious sign that it is not going to start, the other day it started fine at the house (no sluggish turning of starter motor to indicate a low battery), I drove about 3 minutes to a garage to fill with fuel, and the car would not start so thankfully someone gave me a push away from the pumps and gave me a jump start, and it started straight away. It has been fine now for the last few days since then.

I've checked battery leads, any connectors if I can access them, checked for any water ingress into fuse box, no external or internal lights left on, nothing plugged into 12v sockets, I've read about battery drain from malfunctioning bluetooth modules in Kuga's but mine doesn't have bluetooth.

I am reluctant to buy a new battery or alternator as the voltages seem to be ok each time, and both are expensive to buy if it is probably not them causing the problem. I am really hoping someone out there has had a similar experience or has any suggestions to try out. And as it is an intermittent problem, I don't want to put it into a Ford garage for ages, for them to try all the things I've tried already and to come back with nothing.

Does anyone think it could be a sticky relay or a module within the starter circuit that kicks back into life when it receives a bit of extra current from the other car?

Thanks very much

Andy

Sponsored Links

mikesmith2939 View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikesmith2939 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2016 at 5:12am
A guy at work had similar issues with his Chrysler, turned out to be corrosion on one of the leads to the starter motor.
tarmo120 View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tarmo120 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2016 at 5:44am
Originally posted by mikesmith2939 mikesmith2939 wrote:

A guy at work had similar issues with his Chrysler, turned out to be corrosion on one of the leads to the starter motor.

I was thinking the excact same thing. Start there with your inspection. Also while you're in there, go ahead and check the engine to battery ground also.
They are almost next to each other. (Atleast on the MK1 2.0l TDCi)
2008 Ford Kuga Titanium AWD Tango(Red)
Fillco View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fillco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2016 at 6:23am
As then guys above have suggested, this sounds like a poor battery connection, however, 12.8V is high so what meter are you using to measure this and are you measuring this immediately after charging or after turning off the engine? Expect anything between 12V and 12.6V if measured a few hours after any charging having taken place if nothing is discharging the battery.

Assuming the 12.8V is just an inaccurate meter or you've measured as above, the battery itself may have gone soft and has an internal high resistance. You can check this by switching on your headlights and the measure the voltage directly across the battery terminals only and if the voltage is below 12V the battery is not charged or its got internal high resistance, the latter can be due to not being charged or just failing battery.
Kuga Titanium X Sport 180 Manual(AWD), Magnetic (with a few extras). March 2016.
Makes you want to drive it, though not necessarily buy it.
toyer00 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toyer00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 10:28am
Was this issue sorted I am having the same issue. First started before christmas had the battery changed due to low voltage. I have been running with no issues since then. Then this morning started the car went to the petrol staton then wouldn't start up again. Pushed it off the forecourt then tried to jumpstart again no luck. Have had to leave it for the day now while I go to work but will try again later. Hopefully I can get it started to get the battery and alternator checked again.

I do have bluetooth in my Kuga which I have read about on various posts as well.
andy1212 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy1212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 1:09pm
Hi there, I had checked the battery connections and the ground point to the car but were all ok. The problem was with the alternator being on its way out, it was intermittently charging the battery so thats why I had to jump start it every now and again and why when alternator was tested by myself, neighbour and 2 garages it kept showing as healthy. In the end it started smelling of hot metal/plastic which the lad from the AA said may be the alternator windings overheating and breaking down. AA man tested the alternator and confirmed it dead. The alternator was replaced (around £550 for parts and labour!!) and it worked spot on but had to get a new battery after a week cos it was totally dead after being drained and jump started so many times. Hope that helps you out a bit cos I can feel your pain with an intermittent charging problem and that sickening feeling of the flashing dashboard.
Andy
Fillco View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fillco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 1:23pm
Ah yet another alternator on a Mk1 in Winter..
Kuga Titanium X Sport 180 Manual(AWD), Magnetic (with a few extras). March 2016.
Makes you want to drive it, though not necessarily buy it.
toyer00 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toyer00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 1:53pm
Thank you this sounds like my problem I have smelt something every now and then like this but not consistently I put it down to smells from outside the car. Im getting a price on a new alternator now and hopefully a mechanic friend of a friend can help fit for cash. I have been reading a guide on this site but im not sure if this is something i should try for my self.

Thank you for your reply to this matter
andy1212 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andy1212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2018 at 2:24pm
No probs, hope you can get a good price and can get it fixed quickly. Mine failed a week before christmas so wanted it fixed quickly. I looked at that guide and it was well detailed and had photos all the way through but looked like a 2 man job at times too, good luck
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic