FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums!

Bulb upgrades on st-line kuga

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sam b View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bulb upgrades on st-line kuga
    Posted: 12 Nov 2017 at 8:31pm
So my car will be ready to collect in 2 weeks and am already planning some small changes I have had the style pack so have xenon headlights and LED rear lights but what other bulbs have people changed to improve the overall appearance also does the ST-Line come with puddle lights . Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links

Gmaster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 6:40pm
Hi mate
Yes the st has puddle lights , I’ve changed the orange indicators back and front looks much better.
ST Line in Deep impact Blue.
Sam b View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 8:32pm
That sounds good What bulbs did you get for the indicators also do you no which bulbs it is for the puddle light thanks
Gmaster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 8:49pm
Indicator bulbs are W21W T20 I got chrome bulbs looks so much better especially on the back.
Not sure on the puddle light bulbs though I’m looking to change theses at some point .
ST Line in Deep impact Blue.
Sam b View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 9:13am
That’s great I will have a look
KugaSpud View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KugaSpud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2018 at 7:15pm
Just picked up my new 2018 ST Line X and those Puddle lights Shocked (photo below) need to be swapped over to a better white LED unit, they are just too yellow to me and noticeable against the frozen white paintwork.

So a quick look in the "maintenance" section of the owners manual and these "Approach Lights" (Page 238) can be got at with a screw driver if you turn the mirror glass in. I just hope this is better than the hassle with the old Mk1 puddle lights for changing a bulb. And the manual doesn't list what type of bulb it is Clap Is it a W5W like the Side Repeater ? difficult to tell from the manual diagrams, so has anyone changed the Puddle Lamps yet ?

Edited by KugaSpud - 21 Jan 2018 at 1:25pm
Current Kuga: 2018 MK2.5 150 FWD ST Line X, Packs-Style + Driver Assist, Heated Wheel + Rear Camera + Retract Towbar
Prev Kuga: 2011 Mk1 140FWD Titanium,18"Alloys,plenty of Packs+Extras incl Ford DRLs
murcod View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murcod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 12:28am
Yes, they're T10 (assuming nothing has changed) and you can get to them via moving the mirror for access. From memory they've got a moulded rubber bulb holder that is pushed into the light assembly within the mirror housing.

I think there are other posts on here discussing what LED types people have tried.
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
westie38 View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote westie38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 9:19pm
Hi, there's quite a long topic thread (about 15 pages of info) if you put this into the search facility - 

ALL Mk2 LED, Halogen, Xenon bulbs info

most of them are really easy to do, with great results. For the new owners of ST-Line X (with the Style Pack), what do the rear LED lights look like at night? Quite a deal breaker for me when the time comes to replace my present Kuga.
Cheers,
Trev.
Titanium X 163 (manual) Sterling Grey, Keyless Opening, Appearance Pack, Driver Assistance Pack, Convenience Pack, SONY Sat Nav,19's
BigBear View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 2:52pm
Hi I would be interested on how you get on with replacing the bulbs for LED’s. I’m due to pick up my first Kuga in March and will probably like to change those yellow lamps with cool white LED’s to.

KugaSpud View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KugaSpud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2018 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by westie38 westie38 wrote:

Hi, there's quite a long topic thread (about 15 pages of info) if you put this into the search facility - 

ALL Mk2 LED, Halogen, Xenon bulbs info

most of them are really easy to do, with great results. For the new owners of ST-Line X (with the Style Pack), what do the rear LED lights look like at night? Quite a deal breaker for me when the time comes to replace my present Kuga.
Cheers,
Trev.

Thanks for the heads up Trev, I of course dived into the Modifications section. Embarrassed

Also just to answer your request for ST Line X with Style Pack Rear LED lights see Images below:

Just opening the doors fires up LEDs:

And what they are like during the Day:

Trust this helps,

KS.
Current Kuga: 2018 MK2.5 150 FWD ST Line X, Packs-Style + Driver Assist, Heated Wheel + Rear Camera + Retract Towbar
Prev Kuga: 2011 Mk1 140FWD Titanium,18"Alloys,plenty of Packs+Extras incl Ford DRLs
KugaSpud View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KugaSpud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2018 at 5:15pm
And to keep this Topic back on track, Puddle Lights and to my amazement the fittings is exactly the same as the Mk1. Much like the owners manual giving you the wrong idea and if you follow those instructions you will possibly break a fixing tab on the bulb casing. 

So I dived in by moving the mirror right over and in attempting to take the rubber lamp holder out, the bulb came lose and fell into the fitting Angry . So I took the fitting completely out, yes once the rubber bulb holder is out of the way then angling the mirror glass up you can just about get to the Torx screw (T8 size). Once you have the screw removed then turn the mirror glass all the way out and come at the other side of the fitting through the doorside (window down) and you can unclip the inside clip with a flat blade screwdriver and the fitting will come out then, so be ready to catch it Wink

Below is an image of the complete thing out of the mirror housing and you can see the plastic fixing part (circled) that gets broken off if you try to lever it out with a screw driver (just as the manual says Clap ). And refit this fitting back into the mirror housing before putting the bulb holder back in it, otherwise you wont get to that screw hole / fixing very easily. Shocked

And here's the actually rubber holder of said bulb (now with LED in), you can see wires are short of course, however if you push the mirror glass round and use long nose pliers, grab the grey rubber (not the wires) and carefully in a straight movement you can get the bulb holder out just past the mirror to replace the bulb. If you come out at an angle you'll be in the same mess I was above.

That's a 501/T10 5W  replacement, I got from Fizzmo off eBay some time back, link below:

Trust this helps and good luck. 

KS.

Edited by KugaSpud - 24 Jan 2018 at 8:12pm
westie38 View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote westie38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2018 at 8:12pm
Cheers KS, excellent pics, the rear LED's look great, both day & night. Can't see why Ford make such a big issue of making them an extra when so many car manufacturers fit them as standard nowadays. Far better IMO to the tungsten lamps. 
Fizzmo is a great supplier of LED lamps on eBay, I've been using him for years.

Thanks once again,
Trev. 
Titanium X 163 (manual) Sterling Grey, Keyless Opening, Appearance Pack, Driver Assistance Pack, Convenience Pack, SONY Sat Nav,19's
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic