FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums!

AWD Malfunction / Haldex servicing info

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2526272829>
Author
Orbit24 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orbit24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by DUA1961 DUA1961 wrote:

I had the awd malfunction light came on on saterday, and by sunday it had cleared itself. I contacted Fords who said it would probabl need a new pump filter and oil but would try just changing the oil and filter first  at a cost of £228 just wondered what your thoughts were on this. By the way I think Fords customer cares attitude towards this problem stinks and have told them so, I realy don't know why this department exists because they diddnt  give me any help even when my car was in warrenty. I had a wheel noise appear and they told me it was feathering on the tyers 3 times my car went in and they couldn't find the problem,the first time I took my car to an independent garage for an MOT they found that both front shock absorbers were leakin this is what caused the tyres to go out of shape but on 6 visits to main dealer incuding 3 services they did not find the  problem or maybe they didn't want to.

I am sorry hear that, what Kuga do you have? how many miles on the odo?

Assuming you have a Mk1 a filter and oil change is best but I strongly recommend that when doing this you have the pump removed from it's recess. Have the filter (attached to it's intake) cleaned of any sludge.
Look at reducing your Haldex fuse to a rating of 5 amps from 15. I have done this with no ill effects.
Volvo also stock the parts (Haldex Mk3/4)- I bought oil and filter (Ex Germany - none in the country) this last week. Translating currency they were £60. 2 hours labour from an independent will be a further £40. Cheaper than agents.
2012 Mk1
2.5t 147kW AWD Trend, AW55-51SN Auto Box
Electric White, Black Leather
18" A-Line Claws
Sponsored Links

DUA1961 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUA1961 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 1:05pm
Thanks for your replies Iam most greatful.
My car is an 03/2010 2.0 zetec mk1 I believe in frozen white manual
DUA1961 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUA1961 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 1:06pm
SORRY 42000 MILES
Orbit24 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orbit24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by DUA1961 DUA1961 wrote:

SORRY 42000 MILES

You probably have a Gen IV pump which is a good piece of kit. There is information here.http://www.awdwiki.com/en/ford+europe/

The actual hardware (actuators, clutch pack etc) rarely fails. It is more likely pump, Haldex controller (on the unit) or possibly the fuse.

For what it's worth my Ford dealers (and one Volvo I visited) said servicing the unit would be new ground covered, had never serviced one at a customer's request!

On a side note the Mk1's seem very sensitive to a lack of tyre rotation which will result in feathering and other anomalies on the tyres. I bought mine second hand with a shocking noise coming from the rear that sounded like a wheel bearing or some such was about to part company with the vehicle. After swopping out the spare with each wheel the culprit was found and against the wishes of the fitment centre had the tyre turned around on the rim which solved the noise issue.
2012 Mk1
18" A-Line Claws
barks1410 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote barks1410 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2016 at 10:36pm
I have over the last couple of days removed the Haldex unit from my 2010 Kuga after getting the AWD malfunction light. I replaced the oil filter and the oil, I also removed the oil pump and cleaned the filter. The car now seems to be running much smoother and more responsive and no warning light. I was quoted £56 +vat for the filter and £22 + vat for the oil by my local Ford dealer, thanks to the information on this forum I called a Volvo dealer, £27 +vat for the very same filter and £15 for the oil !!!!
My car has 48500 miles and the way it's running after I've done this maintenance I suspect it's been stuck in 4wd for some time. It's a fiddly Job but we'll worth it. Ford dealer quoted minimum £250 and they wanted to put car on their diagnostic machine..... it's only £95 they told my wife. Lol
Many thanks to Tarmo for his post on this forum on servicing the Haldex, I genuinely couldn't have done it without that.
If anyone needs the Volvo part number for the filter it's 31325173, for the oil it's 31367940 (take care as the filters are different depending on which generation Haldex, I think mine is gen 4)
Barks
GKRK View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GKRK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 1:18pm
Does anybody have a TSB on the rear diff for a Kuga 2.5 turbo 4x4.
The rear unit needs an oil and filter change and the pump cleaning.
We are having running battles with Ford. Infact Volvo have been more help but will not service the rear diff. (Our engine is Volvo)
Ford C/S atrocious and keep asking us to take the vehicle to Ford only to be told they wont service it.
Can anybody let me know if their is a TSB on the rear diff???
Kuga Titanium 2.5 Turbo, Induction Kit, Intercooler, Stainless Scorpion Exhaust System, polished black alloys chrome lip, reversing camera.
Orbit24 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orbit24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 1:48pm
I have not heard of a TSB for the unit, maybe someone else on here can help.

Are you referring to the Haldex unit? The diff does not have a filter or pump but is part of the same casting as the Haldex.

None of the Ford dealerships I have spoken with will service the Haldex unit. It may be different where you reside.

What seems to be the problem?
2012 Mk1
18" A-Line Claws
GKRK View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GKRK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 2:13pm
I am referring to the Haldex system. The one with the oil filter and pump attached.
We can hear a whine at low speeds and not all the time, which makes me think it is not the bearing.
The noise is directly under the rear seat.
Well somebody has to service this! How can Ford not service this item yet they stock the parts? I am sick of their nonsense.
Kuga Titanium 2.5 Turbo, Induction Kit, Intercooler, Stainless Scorpion Exhaust System, polished black alloys chrome lip, reversing camera.
Orbit24 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orbit24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 3:16pm
None of our dealers could even find the parts on their system bar one bloke who found an oil filter Ex Germany for twice the price of the Volvo unit.
Ford considers Haldex a seal-for-life unit and as such they don't (locally speaking) offer servicing on it. If it fails under warrantee - order a new unit, replace, claim job value from factory, done.
The upshot of all this may explain the Haldex servicing vacuum you find yourself in.

I also have a whine from the rear that sounds like the diff. Played with the tyres and it went away.

I would also start with a check of oil level in both diff and haldex units.

Are you still in warrantee?

2012 Mk1
18" A-Line Claws
GKRK View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GKRK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 4:35pm
Not under warranty.
I asked that exact question - If it is a sealed for life, a no maintenance required unit why are we having to pay to have it fixed and replace parts inside?
Response - no answer and stated that is what Ford state.
Fillco View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fillco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 4:46pm
I've posted this observation before if it looks like an inherent fault due maybe due to the fact its supposed to be maintenance free when clearly it isnt, then you have 6 years from date of purchase to lodge a complaint.

Contact Motor ombudsman.

Edited by Fillco - 11 Jan 2017 at 4:48pm
Kuga Titanium X Sport 180 Manual(AWD), Magnetic (with a few extras). March 2016.
Makes you want to drive it, though not necessarily buy it.
Orbit24 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orbit24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by Fillco Fillco wrote:

I've posted this observation before if it looks like an inherent fault due maybe due to the fact its supposed to be maintenance free when clearly it isnt, then you have 6 years from date of purchase to lodge a complaint.

Contact Motor ombudsman.

+1

In addition, since you're out of warrantee and the cost of a Haldex failure is considerable I'd get someone look at it in the interim.

In my experience an independent mechanic, ex-Volvo, familiar with the XC90 drivetrain and who has his own setup is first prize but they are somewhat scarce!
2012 Mk1
18" A-Line Claws
barks1410 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barks1410 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 7:28pm
I'm assuming TSB stands for Technical Service Bulletin...?  I dont know if there s one but if you are going to change the haldex oil filter, oil and pump filter yourself then i found Tarmo's thread invaluable when i did mine. 
I really dont see how Ford can claim the Haldex is not serviceable, if its got oil in it and an oil filter then surely its for a reason and eventually the filter at least will need renewing. 
I took the Haldex unit off the rear diff to do mine, it would probably be possible to do it without removing but the filter is very difficult to access and its very easy to snap the lug off the plastic cover that sits on top of the filter, particularly if its never been removed before.....then i cdoubt whether the filter could be removed without taking the unit off
Good Luck with it
Ian

Orbit24 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orbit24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by barks1410 barks1410 wrote:

I really dont see how Ford can claim the Haldex is not serviceable, if its got oil in it and an oil filter then surely its for a reason and eventually the filter at least will need renewing. 

My armchair theory is that in the design process Ford/Haldex considered that the unit should make in warrantee mileage without failing, saving the manufacturer time, money and making the vehicle appear low maintenance to prospective buyers. This saving may offset the cost of replacing failed units or Haldex themselves may have to fit the bill due to some vendor/supplier SLA. Think extending engine oil changes to 20000km or more and advertising powertrain components as 'sealed for life'. Not just Ford BTW - Google 'TDV6 broken crankshaft'

Cost saving for the manufacturer and sub optimum for the long term vehicle owner and their ride.

Greg, just an FYI, on my 2.5 the Haldex pump could not be removed without disconnecting the drive shaft (and flange) or taking out the complete unit as Ian did.
2012 Mk1
18" A-Line Claws
Gazwats View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Kuga Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gazwats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by GKRK GKRK wrote:

We are having running battles with Ford. Infact Volvo have been more help but will not service the rear diff. (Our engine is Volvo)
Ford C/S atrocious and keep asking us to take the vehicle to Ford only to be told they wont service it.
Try looking through this thread for posts by Essexeddie because IIRC his Ford dealer in Essex is also a Volvo main dealer and they serviced his Haldex unit. That said I suppose it depends how far his location in Essex is from you in Kent.

09 Zetec with factory fitted: parking sensors, xenon headlights, roof rails, tyre deflation system
Feel like adding your Kuga pictures to Flickr?
Gazwats View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Kuga Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gazwats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by Gazwats Gazwats wrote:

Originally posted by GKRK GKRK wrote:

Try looking through this thread for posts by Essexeddie because IIRC his Ford dealer in Essex is also a Volvo main dealer and they serviced his Haldex unit. That said I suppose it depends how far his location in Essex is from you in Kent.

A few seconds using the search facility and here's the details (dealership location and cost) from Eddie:

09 Zetec with factory fitted: parking sensors, xenon headlights, roof rails, tyre deflation system
Feel like adding your Kuga pictures to Flickr?
peter c View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2017 at 6:42am
My Ford Main Dealer has serviced my Haldex IV twice I have it done every two years. They change the oil and filter. Originally they said it wasn't a service item. I gave them the chance to service it or go next door to a guy who services Land Rovers including Free Landers which have Haldex units. Guess what they serviced the Haldex!

HTH

Peter C Wink 
The end justifies the means
Juha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2017 at 3:51pm
I'm the next lucky one to get 'AWD malfunction' -alarm on my kuga (-08, 2.0tdci)

I looked through this thread, but couldn't draw a good conclusion how expensive this most likely will be? The alarm goes away after restart, and then I don't see any error codes with my OBD-reader. Anyway, I got the error twice today, always after ~20min drive. (It was -18C in the Morning so maybe cold weather have something to do with the issue as well)

Haldex oils/filters has never been replaced (if they are not part of the normal service program).

Any sophisticated guesses what might be the issue and what needs to be done to fix this?
spanner555 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spanner555 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2017 at 4:26pm
Welcome to the club😯. I've been driving my 2010 awd tdci around for the last 10k miles approx with the awd fuse removed due to this problem.
You could get the oil and filter changed on the haldex, but the impression I've gotten so far is that this will only buy you maybe 1000 more miles. The problem will probably return and the oil change will no longer work. But it's probably the best place to start. At this point you either drive away without it (what im doing), which certainly isn't ideal, or perhaps get a new haldex pump, approx £350, which is what I'm planning on doing... eventually.
However I don't know for certain if this will resolve the issue. But it maybe worth a try as from what I can gather, otherwise you're looking at £1000s to have the whole unit replaced at a dealer.
Some of the other guys on here might have better ideas of course. I can only tell you that this is what I've learned from reading this forum and others in their entirety.
Juha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2017 at 4:55pm
Well, to be honest I now think that I only need to be able to drive from the repair shop to the nearest car dealer to buy something else than Ford. Smile Should have done that already a long time ago.   

Anyway, I'll take the car for repair tomorrow, and let's see how this proceeds. I live in Finland, so most likely I can multiply all the cost you mentioned by 2. :( If I can remove this issue only by replacing oil & filter, then I guess costs should be somehow acceptable..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2526272829>
  Share Topic