FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums!

AWD Malfunction / Haldex servicing info

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 29>
Author
spanner555 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spanner555 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2016 at 2:30pm
I'm seriously considering buying the pump.
http://www.haldexparts.com/9V4N4C019AA_FORD_KUGA_AOC_Oil_Pump_Rear_Differential/p2624653_12573409.aspx

still must do a few checks like read the error code in case it's not a pump issue at all. From what I've gathered, the code should be something like P1889 -pump pressure performance.

But what really is the big question for me is, will I need to have Ford reprogram the ECU. I know Tarmo had this experience, but I've not found anywhere else this was needed, mind you, I've not found many others who have changed the pump. Cillitbang way back on page 25 of this thread said he changed his pump alright, but it turned out to be a fuse box problem with his AWD.

I went into my ford dealer the other day with this question, and the first thing they said to me was... "what's a haldex?", so I wouldn't have too much faith in them for reprogramming it!
Sponsored Links

Dan65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2016 at 6:55pm
Hi I've changed oil and filter six months and very few miles after doing it before to clear the AWD malfunction alarm. This time it hasn't cured it. Drives fine. How do I find out which alarm it is, and where do I buy the pump from? Thanks Dan
tarmo120 View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tarmo120 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2016 at 10:44pm
Well the ECU always learns and goes with the motor.
So if you replace the old motor/pump with the new one, there might be the case where the ECU need to re-learn the parameters. If let's say the old pump was too bad. There is too much of parameter difference with the old and new.
The fact that some of you have just changed the pump and it works, might be that you cought it on time.

@Dan65-Read the codes and go from there.
2008 Ford Kuga Titanium AWD Tango(Red)
sildown View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sildown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2016 at 8:14pm
Just had my Haldex oil and filters changed as I had the dreaded AWD Malfunction msg by a Ford mechanic friend of mine. He got the parts from the main dealer. Funny how they sell service parts for something they say does not require servicing
2012 2.0ltr TDCI 163 Titaniun X 4X4 Manual, Midnight Sky metalic. All the usual stuff plus, voice control, privacy pack,Convenience pack, 19inch alloys,zenon lights parking sensors.
Fillco View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fillco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2016 at 8:21pm
Originally posted by sildown sildown wrote:

Just had my Haldex oil and filters changed as I had the dreaded AWD Malfunction msg by a Ford mechanic friend of mine. He got the parts from the main dealer. Funny how they sell service parts for something they say does not require servicing

Oh what a give-away eh!

Surely the doors wide open to contest this with Ford.

Edited by Fillco - 12 Sep 2016 at 8:24pm
Kuga Titanium X Sport 180 Manual(AWD), Magnetic (with a few extras). March 2016.
Makes you want to drive it, though not necessarily buy it.
munnchers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote munnchers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2016 at 9:35pm
Hi there, I am a Ford Kuga owner and have just joined the forum to seek advice and help. I have the dreaded "AWD Malfunction" warning up on my dash. I've been told that it is due to an oil pump failure controlling the rear diff. Is that the Haldex unit you are referring to? My Ford dealership said that the oil pump and diff are a sealed unit and must be changed as a complete unit. Do you know if that is true or bullsh*t? Thanks in anticipation of your help. Jon
moondust View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moondust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2016 at 9:50pm
Lots of reading here but Ford bought in the Haldex unit as a sealed for life part unlike e.g. Volvo and Landrover who fitted the same Haldex unit that had an optional sensor fitted. Oil changing might be in with a service these days? Could be expensive good luck. 
tarmo120 View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tarmo120 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2016 at 11:46pm
Originally posted by munnchers munnchers wrote:

Hi there, I am a Ford Kuga owner and have just joined the forum to seek advice and help. I have the dreaded "AWD Malfunction" warning up on my dash. I've been told that it is due to an oil pump failure controlling the rear diff. Is that the Haldex unit you are referring to? My Ford dealership said that the oil pump and diff are a sealed unit and must be changed as a complete unit. Do you know if that is true or bullsh*t? Thanks in anticipation of your help. Jon

They are in fact servicable. The fact Ford is telling you otherwise is only because they don't have anything in the service book about servicing the Haldex. So Ford is telling you bullsh*t.
When you read through this topic you'll find out everything you need. Parts for pump, filter and oil both for Ford and Volvo.
They are identical but with a huge price difference. Also you will find where to buy and serach for those parts.
The rear differential unit is attached to the Haldex. It may look like a single unit, but they are not. The Haldex is right behind the middle prop shaft. Also see the many pictures in this thread.
Best of luck.
2008 Ford Kuga Titanium AWD Tango(Red)
munnchers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote munnchers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2016 at 11:57pm
Thank you very much for your help Smile

MikeT View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2016 at 7:59am
A local garage/mechanic did my Haldex oil & filter (Landrover parts) with the Haldex unit left in place for around £110 total. It's very hard to get all the old thick oil/gunge out without removing the unit to clean it, so if the unit hasn't been removed to clean it out there's a chance of recurrence later i.e. if the original remaining oil/gunge clogs the new replacement filter. This happened to me on a very hot summers day in a traffic jam when the heat must have loosened the remaining gunge to flow in to the new filter and block it again. So mine's now been done twice within 10 months but will hopefully now settle down to a planned 2-year service schedule.

My understanding is that around 80% of the times this warning occurs it's due to the filter being clogged and just needs replacement (special) oil & filter. Around 10% of the time it needs a new pump motor and the remaining 10% is, er, more serious.

Hope yours is oil/filter.
Mk1 TDCI 163 AWD Titanium X Electric White - with almost matching bumpers
murry-the-hump View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murry-the-hump Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2016 at 8:24pm
Have been watching this topic, hoping that it wouldn't happen to me and guess what "AWD warning" on the dash this morning.

Sticking the OBD reader in, it comes up with:

AWD DTC B2477 - Module Configuration Failure

and

AWD DTC P1889-20 Oil pressure pump performance

Had the oil and filter changed (at my request) at the service in January this year (28000 ish) trying to mitigate the issues I read about on here! I'm guessing that they didn't clean the pump gauze as I requested.

So looks like the pump is blocked/failing? Or could it be something else?

Car is in to the dealer on Friday
Mk1 163PS AWD Titanium X PowerShift; Frozen White; 2012; Conv-Pack, App-Pack, 18" Alloys
Wot No Thingy? (well I have never found it!)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murry-the-hump Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 6:59pm
Update on this:

Haldex pump is broken (35000miles) but the dealer is struggling to get one from Ford.

Anyone know the FORD part number for the haldex pump (or pump kit will has the oil and filter)?

Thanks
Mk1 163PS AWD Titanium X PowerShift; Frozen White; 2012; Conv-Pack, App-Pack, 18" Alloys
Orbit24 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orbit24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2016 at 8:01pm
Sorry to hear it Murry!
I know you asked for a FORD part number but very few dealers seem to keep it in stock. It is available at Haldex (they have it on special!) and from what I've learned should be cheaper than the agents.

http://www.haldexparts.com/8V414C019AA_FORD_KUGA_AOC_Oil_Pump_Rear_Differential_8V41-4C019-AA/p2624653_12392268.aspx

And
http://www.haldexparts.com/9V4N4C019AA_FORD_KUGA_AOC_Oil_Pump_Rear_Differential/p2624653_12573409.aspx

I think the former is gen III, the latter gen IV but they have an on-line contact who can guide you.

Edited by Orbit24 - 05 Oct 2016 at 8:09pm
2012 Mk1
2.5t 147kW AWD Trend, AW55-51SN Auto Box
Electric White, Black Leather
18" A-Line Claws

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murry-the-hump Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2016 at 2:17pm
Thanks for the reply, but I can't see them buying it from Haldex direct, it must be a Ford "badged" part 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murry-the-hump Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 9:38pm
Update and hopefully closure on this!

Ford dealer has got hold of the parts (Pump, oil and filter) and are fitting them tomorrow so I'll get the car back soon! Yay!

Covered by the extended warranty I bought when I bought the car second hand. So no cost to me!

Credit where it's due, top marks to Evans Halshaw, South Wales, for sorting this all out (bought the car and warrenty from them)

Word of advice, if buying a second hand Kuga AWD, buy a warrenty with it and make sure if does cover the Haldex unit!

Fillco View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fillco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 10:19pm
Originally posted by murry-the-hump murry-the-hump wrote:

Update and hopefully closure on this!

Credit where it's due, top marks to Evans Halshaw, South Wales, for sorting this all out (bought the car and warrenty from them)

Is that EH at Methyr?
Kuga Titanium X Sport 180 Manual(AWD), Magnetic (with a few extras). March 2016.
Makes you want to drive it, though not necessarily buy it.
munnchers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote munnchers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2016 at 11:45pm
Hi Fellow Kuga owners and AWD malfunction sufferers. I just had my Haldex Oil Pump and the oil filter replaced by a smart local mechanic. I supplied the pump and filter units which I purchased direct from Haldex and I got the transmission oil from Volvo. Total cost around £500 but that is a lot better than the £2000 quoted by my local Ford dealership to replace the whole rear diff! The oil filter was clogged with sludge and machined metal from the inside the diff. I think may be just changing the filter would have solved the problem but as my vehicle has done 68,000 miles it didnt make sense not to change the pump too (although that is the greatest cost at about £330)

Here is some helpful information for you:

Video showing the Installation of the oil pump and filter: https://youtu.be/uZNC06Z7imQ

Haldexparts http://www.haldexparts.com  The oil pump and filter type depend on which generation of pump and filter you have. My Ford is  a Titanium 4*4 Autmatic AWD 2011 so that is 4th generation.

Volvo transmission oil for Haldex Unit: Part Number 31367940
DUA1961 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUA1961 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 10:49am
Hello orbit 24.
please fogive me or any mistakes as I am old and decrepid and quite new to this sort of thing.
I have contacted this seller and you are not dealing direct with haldex you are dealing with a seller, do you know if these are genuine parts and can the seller be trustedSmile
Orbit24 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orbit24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 11:10am
Originally posted by DUA1961 DUA1961 wrote:

Hello orbit 24.
please fogive me or any mistakes as I am old and decrepid and quite new to this sort of thing.
I have contacted this seller and you are not dealing direct with haldex you are dealing with a seller, do you know if these are genuine parts and can the seller be trustedSmile

Welcome to the forum DUA1961.
I have not bought parts from the seller nor know of anyone who has.

They have a contact page and are quick with their replies. Maybe put your question regarding genuine parts or the warrantee to them.
2012 Mk1
2.5t 147kW AWD Trend, AW55-51SN Auto Box
Electric White, Black Leather
18" A-Line Claws
DUA1961 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUA1961 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2016 at 12:32pm
I had the awd malfunction light came on on saterday, and by sunday it had cleared itself. I contacted Fords who said it would probabl need a new pump filter and oil but would try just changing the oil and filter first  at a cost of £228 just wondered what your thoughts were on this. By the way I think Fords customer cares attitude towards this problem stinks and have told them so, I realy don't know why this department exists because they diddnt  give me any help even when my car was in warrenty. I had a wheel noise appear and they told me it was feathering on the tyers 3 times my car went in and they couldn't find the problem,the first time I took my car to an independent garage for an MOT they found that both front shock absorbers were leakin this is what caused the tyres to go out of shape but on 6 visits to main dealer incuding 3 services they did not find the  problem or maybe they didn't want to.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 29>
  Share Topic