FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums!

Alloy Wheel Corrosion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
Author
Stupot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stupot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2012 at 8:55pm
Slighty off topic. I wash and clean my wheels, then polish with AG Super Resin Polish then apply a layer of AG HD wax. Question is, will a correct wheel sealant, (thinking of getting Poorboys), last longer or will I be wasting my money.
Kuga 1 08-58 Titanium TDCi 136 AWD, Panther Blk.
Kuga 2 11-61 Titanium X TDCI 163 AWD. Panther Blk. P/Shift.
Kuga 3 14-14 Titanium X Sport, 163 AWD, Frozen White, P/Shift.
Sponsored Links

mulder View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mulder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2012 at 2:23pm
Any protection is better than no protection Wink

The main issue though is with temperatures, which are higher at the wheels than that on paintwork, so a dedicated wheel sealant would be better, as it is designed for it; though with most things, preparation is the key.

If you have Autogylm's Extra Gloss Protection, this would probably work better on top of the SRP, than the wax Lamp

Something like FinishKare 1000P Hi-Temp Sealant can be used on wheels and paintwork

Stupot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stupot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2012 at 4:59pm
Thanks Mulder, I do have AG EGP, will try some of that first, going to remove all wheels and give them a good clean and seal, and again just before the cold weather sets in.
BrightonBird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrightonBird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2012 at 9:02pm
Like others, my 18" wheels are corroding really badly on the diamond-cut area. I can't imagine Ford will accept a complaint as the car is now 2.5 years old so I've been trying to get quotes for refinishing the wheels. I want the diamond-cut area sprayed like the rest of the wheel.

The quotes I've had come out at about £250 for the 4 wheels which is too much for me. I've tried getting in touch with the powder coating people in Birmingham but they've not got back to me. Are they still in business? Their website says that the price is held until the end of 2010! Obviously Brighton to Birmingham wouldn't be the most convenient thing to do anyway. Does anyone know anywhere closer to Brighton that might be able to do the job more cheaply?

How does the powder coating look anyway? Is it the same type of finish as the original wheel finish?

What's most annoying about this is that the wheels have been really well looked after. They've been cleaned regularly with non acidic wheel cleaner and even get taken off periodically to really clean inside the rims. (OCD Hubby!) So it seems really unfair that they look so very bad.

Many thanks
BB

Stupot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stupot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2012 at 9:13pm
The price you have been quoted is rougly the going rate. Normally £60 a corner. Well it is in the Basingstoke, Reading area, a few friends and work collegues have had theres done at My alloy. http://www.myalloys.co.uk/
KugaTone View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KugaTone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2012 at 10:12pm
£60 a wheel is about right
Kuga 4 : Titanium X Sport Moondust Silver
Mightyhunter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mightyhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2012 at 10:14am
I too have the 18" alloys, and as a lot of people are finding I am also experiencing some corrosion. My Kuga is a 60 plate and is past the 1 year warranty on the wheels. I took it in to my local dealer and (for once) they were pretty helpfull, they contatced ford and got authorisation to repair the damaged wheel. I just said that the wheels should last longer than a year before corroding and that this was a well know issue. My dealership agreed and sorted me out. It would be worthwhile contactoing your own delaer or ford before splashing out and having to pay for the repairs yourself.

Will have to take mine back again as i can see that another of the wheels is alos starting to bubble up and peel!! Great!Cry
163 AWD Titanium,Frozen White App & Con Pack, Bluet.+USB, 18" Alloys,Pano. Roof, Keyless Entry, Front&Rear Sensors, Load Liner, Brushed Steel Bumper Protector, Mats & Flaps, Blue LED Int. lights
Microbe View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Microbe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2012 at 10:22pm
Is this something specific to the 18 inch wheels or does it also affect the 19 & 17 inchers? They don't look like they have the same diamond cut rim in the pictures I have seen.

Mk1 Panther Black Titanium X AWD Powershift , with app & conv packs, 19 inch wheels factory fit sat nav LED light upgrades, TDH & KOC sticker too!
Morph View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2012 at 10:35pm
19" no diamond cut area so no issue.

17" used to have a diamond cut area so older one's could suffer, but the alloy finish was changed at some point and sprayed silver all over with no diamond cut area.

18" have stayed the same and still feature a diamond cut area.

Deep Impact ST Line 180PS AWD, Nav, Camera, Drivers Pack, ST Style Pack, Family Pack, Winter Pack, 19's, Towbar, Keyless.
HugaKuga View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!
The forums Youtube & Google King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HugaKuga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2012 at 10:30am

Maybe consider the 18" Focus ST alloys these aren't diamond cut

DrNiss has fitted these
Jenko View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2013 at 9:11pm
hi guys been looking at my alloys funny enough today i wondered what these marks were im cars on a 60 plate i guess im not covered now i take it? i have the 18" alloys anyone had them repaired if so how much did it cost ? anymore pictures??

cheers
Skippy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skippy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2013 at 11:49pm
I went to my dealers with corrosion on two 18" alloys. The car was out of warranty (16 months old 14k on the clock) and they changed the two rims for new ones after taking photos and sending them to Ford. I argued that it is nothing to do with the warranty but the fact that the rims are not of 'merchantable quality' and would you expect rims to corrode like that after 16 months. Comes from the sale of goods act, the warranty is purely a get out for Ford and can be argued. I had the same with my gear lever surround cracking after two years, again I argued merchantable quality and they changed it FOC!
2011 Lunar Sky Titanium X AWD app & conv pack AND DRL's factory fitted 😉
Jenko View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2013 at 7:44pm

Edited by Jenko - 03 Apr 2013 at 7:46pm
Jenko View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2013 at 7:46pm
Hi guys!
Ive been reading about the corrosion alloys never noticed it on my kuga (only had it a week) untill i read about it so ive taken some pictures i thought at the time they had some sticky material on them untill i looked deeper let me know what you guys think and what you think i should do?!
Jenko!
Any1else View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Any1else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2013 at 7:36pm
Mine are going the same way. Car is three years old in June with 25k on the clock and never kerbed. I dont fancy my chances with Ford after this time so was considering getting them sorted myself.

If Ford DID offer to pay towards the refurbishment I assume that it would be a place of their choosing?

My plan was to speak to a wheel refurbishers here and get some advice from them re the diamond cut part. I had hoped to get it blasted and painted along with the rest of the wheel but maybe with a more "silver" paint to try and maintain the metallic look.

Anyone has this done? How long should a wheel refurbished this way last?

2.0TDCi Zetec 6-speed Manual; Panther Black; June'10; Bluetooth, Voice, Appearance Pack, Convenience Pack, non-corroded 18" Alloys with non-Ford wheel nuts, mudflaps, Westfalia demountable towbar.
Jenko View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2013 at 8:41pm
I've had a quote for all for wheels stripped back and resprayed for 100 or 60 per corner to be machined treated and done will take 1 day to be done but I'm booking it in with ford for a service mines a 60 13000 miles see if they check the alloys over on the corrosion check or il be getting a set of 20 ally's with summer tyres and keeping these for winter with winter tyres let me know how you get on
HugaKuga View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!
The forums Youtube & Google King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HugaKuga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 9:04am
My (18") alloys started off with those little white lines under the lacquer, then after about 12 months it gets steadily worse and the lacquer lifts and dirt gets under, leaving an inch of corrosion on the bare metal (looks terrible). (must point out that I do a lot of miles +20k a year , which might account for the accelerated corrosion).

I do wonder what you can do once these 'tracks' appear as it means theres a weak spot in the lacquer?

When I priced up have the wheels repaired / shot blasted / sprayed it's almost as cheap to buy new alloys (have seen some on FordPartsUk for £240)

What's the point of diamond cut (bare alloy) wheels that only last a year or two, would rather have them just sprayed silver ... wonder what the QashQai alloys will look like ... they're nearly all diamond cut ...

Would agree that you should raise it with Ford at the earliest opportunity

Edited by HugaKuga - 07 Apr 2013 at 9:10am
Jenko View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 6:13pm
I did see that ford offer a corrosion check not sure if it over the alloys though and if it comes under the service? I will be booking mine in end of the month
Gazwats View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Kuga Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gazwats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by Jenko Jenko wrote:

I did see that ford offer a corrosion check not sure if it over the alloys though and if it comes under the service? I will be booking mine in end of the month
I'm happy to stand corrected on this but a very quick Google search seems to imply that the Ford Corrosion check only applies to the paint & bodywork (thus doubtful it would cover alloys) and is an extra charge and not included as part of a service.

There's posts on t'internet where folks have encountered rust and paint damage within the 6 year warranty period which Ford have refused to cover because a corrosion check hasn't been performed and stamped in the pages of the Service Manual.

Edited by Gazwats - 07 Apr 2013 at 6:23pm
09 Zetec with factory fitted: parking sensors, xenon headlights, roof rails, tyre deflation system
Feel like adding your Kuga pictures to Flickr?
Jenko View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 10:49pm
Looks like if you have corrosive alloys tuff luck either pay to get them repaired or buy a new set ?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
  Share Topic