FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums!

Alloy Wheel Corrosion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author
DAJJ View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAJJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2010 at 2:22pm

Maybe a slight exaggeration, although it does seem to be going up each week, currently about £1.23.

Sponsored Links

kugaphill View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kugaphill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2010 at 2:32pm
Anbody thought about trying watchdog? Once / If  they get involved Ford might look at the amount of people having this problem.
kuga titanium App pack, AWD frozen white and loving it :-)
roadster1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roadster1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2010 at 3:10pm
my cousin has it on a 57 plate focus so its  not just effecting a kuga, he had problems getting his done because he bought the car at 10 months and did not spot it before 12 months so i would say its a more wide spread problem always seams to be the polished surface that scabs up on them all !
09 vision blue zetec 2wd
Notts Apothecary View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Notts Apothecary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 6:21am
Many proprietary wheel cleaners contain Phosphoric Acid.  If not washed off well, it will corrode everything it has come into contact with. I've stopped using these products and find that water with a little washing up  liquid does just as well. I use a microfibre cloth which I keep for the purpose and find it's easier than using the commercial wheel cleaners.
ips View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 6:26am
Originally posted by Notts Apothecary Notts Apothecary wrote:

Many proprietary wheel cleaners contain Phosphoric Acid.  If not washed off well, it will corrode everything it has come into contact with. I've stopped using these products and find that water with a little washing up  liquid does just as well. I use a microfibre cloth which I keep for the purpose and find it's easier than using the commercial wheel cleaners.

Interesting post.
I use "fenwicks motorhome cleaner" apply from a trigger spray and like previous poster use a micro fibre cloth. Way cheaper and IMO just as good as propper wheel cleaner stuff. Not sure if thats got any nasty phosphoric or similar in it ????
Mk1 Titanium 163 AWD, Powershift, in white. Appearance and convenience packs.
quatroxquatro View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quatroxquatro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 7:03am
Good call, Notts Apothecary.
 I have the 18" wheel option and don't use any proprietary wheel cleaners for the same reason you mention. I travel many kilometres over winter on salted mountain roads, and my wheels are still perfect after 30 months use. After a wash with warm water and mild car wash solution, I dry and then apply a quick polish of car wax (AutoGlym or similar) to keep them bright, and easy to wash next time.

Edited by quatroxquatro - 02 Nov 2010 at 8:56am

Stick-in-the-mud? Moi? My flickr Kuga set
kugey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kugey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 11:43am
Get a acid free wheel cleaner such as valet pro Bilberry, don't think it has anything nasty in it and cleans well. Will have a closer look on the bottle next time. 
Brokerman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brokerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2010 at 8:11am
I have a 58 black, diesel Kuga purchased October 2009. A few months ago I noticed that the top surface  of the wheels (probably the lacquer coat(?)was  flaking off in irregular spots about 2" square. I have no explanation for this. All wheel cleaning has been done with ph nuetral 'stuff'.

As the car's still under warranty, I contacted local main Ford dealer, Busseys of Norwich, who told me that I couldn't make a warranty claim because the wheels are demed to be TRIM and aren't covered by the warranty!!!

Have you ever heard anything quite as ridiculous as this? Wheels are deemed to be "trim" Yeah, right!

Anybody else suffered from flaking wheels?

Gutbucket View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!
Fully paid up member of the Caravan Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gutbucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2010 at 8:38am
Loads of people - search the forums and you you will see this is very common, there is I'm sure at least one thread dedicated to it
GUTBUCKET

MPG 39.9

Panther Blk Titanium AWD, app pack, parking sensors, roofbars, touchscreen satnav, net thingy, RGM bumperguard, KOC stickers, 18"+17" alloys +2 golf tees (for putting my balls on)
Brokerman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brokerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2010 at 12:39pm
Thanks I will
c130jtechie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c130jtechie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 2:24am
This has been discussed before but just thought it would be interesting to consolidate info on Alloy Wheel Corrosion, so maybe the following questions:

1) Have you got/had corrosion?
2) Wheel size
2) How old is/was car?
3) Have they been replaced/repaired by Ford?

Mine (all 4) have got corrosion
18"
Car is 2 years old
Currently awaiting Ford response

Thought this may help for those who may have to raise a case with Ford. Even though Alloys only officially have 1 year warranty, they should not corrode after two years, corrosion is on machined rims and is a "known about issue".
kejm View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kejm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2011 at 1:01pm
Hi,
I noticed corrosion on all my wheels, 1 day before the first years warranty was due to run out. Took car straight to dealer to get fault registered. All 4 wheels were changed during the first service. Now, 10 months later the new wheels are corroding again. I had an argument with dealer who said they were not aware of any problems with the alloys, obviously idiots, anyway could not be bothered with fight as waiting for my new Kuga which is due in march.

My wheels are the Zetec ones and the corrosion was on the flat parts which look like they have been machined. The laquer musn't be keying properly to shiny surface!!!

Regards
KEJM

roadster1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roadster1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2011 at 1:57pm
yep same here had 2 replaced a 3rd doing it now pain in the arse 18 months old 
starting to look very scabby Cry
09 vision blue zetec 2wd
ips View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2011 at 4:27am
My 58 plate has corrosion on all wheels but way out of warranty for wheels now. When they get really bad I will get my mate who has a body shop and also does alloy refurb to sort em out. £50 a wheel. 
Mk1 Titanium 163 AWD, Powershift, in white. Appearance and convenience packs.
DAJJ View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAJJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2011 at 5:42am

I noted that all four wheels had corroded after 2 years and Ford Customer Services agreed to pay to have them all refurbished, as they had a cap of around £250 to repair ALL wheels and replacing them would have cost a lot more and probably meant that they would go again.

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c130jtechie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2011 at 7:23am
Ips

Dajj is correct, my local bodyshop have been dealing with this after I contacted Ford, they have had the OK from Ford to refurbish, only problem is as they don't do Diamond Cut refurbishing they will have to go away. The rims are Diamond cut the rest are painted. They were originally goint to paint totally but seemingly this isn't advised as the paint doesn't adhere properly to the Diamond Cut part.

Give Ford Customer Service a call you may be surprised.

My Kuga is 26 months old.

Edited by c130jtechie - 21 Feb 2011 at 7:25am
moondust View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moondust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2011 at 8:04am
Avoid diamond cut wheels like the plague gritblast and paint or better still powder coat.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c130jtechie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2011 at 4:18pm
Bodyshop painted some wheels normally, unfortunately paint won't adhere properly when originally diamond cut, so they won't do them.
moondust View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moondust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2011 at 4:40pm
Forget bodyshops you want wheel refurbishers, diamond cut is a finish so destroy that finish with gritblast/sandblast and powdercoat see the advert above in Birmingham £20 per wheel www.citypowdercoating.co.uk.
COOL KUGA View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote COOL KUGA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2011 at 6:44pm
I have corrosion on all 4 of my 18" alloys and the corrosion is only on the machined part of the wheels and starting to look like a 10 year old car not one that is just coming up for 2 years old.

I went to the dealer but got the standard reply that the wheels were out of their 12 month waranty but he did say that they cant be repaired and would have to be replaced.

I am still waiting for Ford customer care (what a joke) to get back to me regarding the issue after 2 weeks. I have spoken to them several times but I am still no further forward.

This may have been done before but can anyone who has had problems with their alloys please post so I can show Ford that there is a problem with their alloys as I am sick of them stating that "Its not a known issue".Angry

This may help others in the future if they have problems with their wheels.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
  Share Topic