FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums!

Alloy Wheel Corrosion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Author
moggith View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moggith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2010 at 12:42pm
All sorted 4 shiney new alloys fitted free of charge under warranty!
First Kuga - Kuga Zetec 2.0 TDCI, AWD, Moondust Silver with convenience pack & Bluetooth

Second Kuga - 2.0D 140bhp 2WD Zetec in Ginger Ale, with appearance pack and convenience pack
Sponsored Links

ukcobra View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ukcobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2010 at 7:30am
This is not a bad batch issue, but a common design flaw, my 55 PLate Mondeo had the same issue, and unfortunately I left it too late.

The corrosion appears under the laquer, typically where the polished metal is visible. My 18" Kuga wheels are of a similar design to my old Mondeo, and I expect it to happen to them at some point in the future.

I am keeping a close eye on them, and making sure they are kept clean at all times.

Mark
NOW Sold : 59 ( Jan 2010) Moondust Silver, Titanium AWD, Appearance, USB + BT, 18" Wheels (PM Me for Details)
moggith View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moggith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2010 at 11:48am
yes when oicking mine up - i had a look around some cars on the forecourt - they were going the same way too! very poor!
First Kuga - Kuga Zetec 2.0 TDCI, AWD, Moondust Silver with convenience pack & Bluetooth

Second Kuga - 2.0D 140bhp 2WD Zetec in Ginger Ale, with appearance pack and convenience pack
win-doc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote win-doc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2010 at 2:41pm
Hi moggith & uk cobra,
I must be a glutton for punishment as I actually bought an 18" "rotted" trade in on fleabay. Got it for a good price but £187.00 for a Continental tyre took the smile off of my face. WHY you ask? I pull a caravan and did not fancy having to cope with the spacesaver and 1.5 ton of caravan in some remote spot where a puncture repair might be days away.
Sterling Eccles Jewel with a Titanium AWD in front.
The Shiner View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Shiner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2010 at 5:03pm

I have 3 out of 4 moth eaten after 2 years

any answers other than a total referb by someone that knows their job unlike ford
had mine tarted up by chipaway....nice job £35 each dun on vehicle, but how long till they need doing again?
DAJJ View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAJJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2010 at 5:21pm
I've just had a refurb on all of mine, courtesy of Mr Ford.  My vehicle is also 2 years old and the wheels cost £240 to get all of them done by a local repairer, which was all arranged through my local dealer.  I'm hoping that they should have been sealed properly this time, so should last a few years.
ips View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2010 at 10:26am
Yep mine are showing signs of wear and I havent kerbed em at all. £50 per wheel is the going rate for a proffesional refurb thats according to my mate who owns a body shop.
Mk1 Titanium 163 AWD, Powershift, in white. Appearance and convenience packs.
DAJJ View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAJJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2010 at 9:57am
Ford's are fully aware of the alloy issue and I understand it's still happening on newer Kugas.  My advice would be to contact Ford's and get them to pay for the refurbishment.
Scooby Doo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scooby Doo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2010 at 11:08am
I have all four showing corrosion on the polished part of the wheel. Its 2 years old and it seems to have been brought on by last winter.  Dealer said he would get Ford to look into it, took some photos, gave me a claim ref and a number to ring.

I was told by Ford Customer Services that they take into consideration the age (1 year beyond their miserable 1yr warranty) , any damage (no)  and if I had owned a previous Ford vehicle (no).  On those points they would not make any payment.

Seems a bit counter-intutive to pay out to a loyal Ford brand buyer but penalise a new consumer to the marque.  Surely I am less likely to buy Ford again, given that this is a well known product failure and they are avoiding any responsibility for supplying a poorly made product.  

You dont breed brand loyalty by dodging the issue and deliberately excluding the newbies.
Kuga Titanium Black 08 with Gangsta pack and an Impreza for play.
DAJJ View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAJJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2010 at 11:39am
If it helps this is also my first Ford and I wasn't asked this question.  I've had a few issues with them and they have paid up on everything.  From speaking with Ford Customer Services they have a maximum budget of £300 for repairing/replacing wheels.  I would advise Ford Customer Services that 2 years is not a reasonable amount of time for alloys to last, taking into account that they probably started corroding some months ago!!  Good luck.
bobuptown View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobuptown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2010 at 11:51am
Re: First time Ford buyer.  Unfortunately Scooby, this is the kind of puzzling, and shortsighted criteria Ford have in place.
It's not rocket science, look after your customers well, now, Today and they in turn will repay you with their continued loyalty Tomorrow, that's how it should work. I hope that some Ford mover & shaker reads the contents of some of the posts on KOC, because if I was FMC right now I would be extremely worried and concerned. I love my Kuga, but the outstanding issues Ford refuse to address are building up, so replacing the Kuga for another Ford is sadly . . . highly unlikely.
kugey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kugey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2010 at 12:32pm
Unfortunately if FMC are hitting there sale targets, nothing we say will make them change,  I to love the Kuga, but Fords dealers, not all, but way to high a percentage are crap and as such when the time comes to replace, owners are going to remember the bad issues more than the good.   
roadster1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roadster1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2010 at 4:54pm
bob and kugey im with you i love the car but poor back up and niggling faults taint the whole experience !
most i have ever spent out on a car and i doubt i will do it again after this.
i thought sharing focus parts would be good but creaking seat base & interior, blowing headlamp bulbs flaking alloys , my last two focuses were rock solid , im wondering if they have gone backwards or is it just cause they are using cheap parts but charging premium prices !
rog
09 vision blue zetec 2wd
bobuptown View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobuptown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2010 at 8:53am
Hi roadster1,  all courtesy of the all new, Ford Standard? Ford along with other manufacturers are resisiting offering a 5yr, no quibble warranty.   Greed, or as companies like to call it, making a huge profit is the one thing that drives Ford's outdated thinking.  FMC still think,  "the tail wags the dog"  I think they are in for a shock,  but hey, what do I know, so lets just wait and see.
roadster1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roadster1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2010 at 2:20pm
i bet it wont cover interior or inferior as i would like to call it !
they replaced one seat base after 3 visits and now the passenger one is heading that way and guess what its out of the 12 months.
if it was 18 years old like my mx5 i would expect rattles and creaks as standard of which it does of course.
i would think about a 5 year warranty over a ford next time for piece of mind although a fords does transfer 
cheers rog

09 vision blue zetec 2wd
bobuptown View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobuptown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2010 at 10:37am
Kuga's 15 month old body has now began to creak (mines 50+ and creaks badly) and occasionally makes a single cracking sound I'm sure that although a bit premature this is probably quite normal for a steel structue to flex and make all kinds of noises. 
ips View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2010 at 11:53am
I must admit that mine has a few creaks seems to be from the facia at the side of the seat were the seat belt goes into. Oh and of course my drivers seat still creaks even though dealer was sposed to replace the base, I have given up entirely now and just turn radio 4 up a bit more. Tongue

As for the alloy wheels (nuther thread ongoing about this issue) will jusy get my bodyshop owning mate to refurb em for £50 per wheel (or less if mates rates apply Wink) cos I really cant be bothered arguing the toss with some jobs worth as to the fact that "wheels are only warranted for 12 mths sir"

Edited by ips - 01 Nov 2010 at 12:15pm
Mk1 Titanium 163 AWD, Powershift, in white. Appearance and convenience packs.
bobuptown View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobuptown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2010 at 1:05pm
Hi Ips, great looking car, but unfortunately I feel exactly the same as you. Must add that with two Ford dealer sponsors now onboard supporting the KOC website I would of expected some positive/encouraging dealer feedback?     Regards.   Bob. 
DAJJ View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAJJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2010 at 2:09pm

Hi ips.  I would agree, it is a hassle and there needs to be an easier way to log such issues.  However, saying that from what I understand this is how Ford's gauge whether a recall is required or not.  I was a bit reluctant to pay out £200 to get all my wheels refurbished, especially when I could get a tank of diesel for that money, well maybe a couple.  I have also mentioned this site to Ford Customer Services on a couple of occasions, however as it isn't an "official" Ford website then they have no interest in it.  Maybe we should ask Mr Ford to sponsor this site.  Any volunteers?

Pennine MC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pennine MC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2010 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by DAJJ DAJJ wrote:

I was a bit reluctant to pay out £200 to get all my wheels refurbished, especially when I could get a tank of diesel for that money, well maybe a couple.  

Strewth, your local garage is expensive isnt itShocked
Ian

Sep 2010 - April 2016: 2010/60 163ps/4WD Titanium in Sea Grey with appearance pack.

Feb 2017 - : 2016/16 180ps/4WD Titanium X in Magnetic with appearance pack and Sync2 satnav.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
  Share Topic