FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums!

Alloy Wheel Corrosion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
cornish View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cornish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alloy Wheel Corrosion
    Posted: 24 Apr 2009 at 2:07am

Posted in another thread that I informed the dealer at the last service that I had corrosion on the front drivers wheel that is under coating of the wheel.

Noticed it on the drivers rear wheel last week and then last night noticed it on the N/S rear wheel  - so only one to go!!!

Has anyone else noticed any corrosion of their wheels, mine is an early batch with the upgraded 18" wheels.

I put it down to the snow, but the rears have only just started as I didn't notice them when I last washed it a few weeks ago...

Sponsored Links

dapper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2009 at 6:03am
Our Kuga has also suffered from this.  We now have three wheels affected in all, 18 inch version.  Dealer has ordered in two under warranty, we now have to inform them that a third is showing same signs so will need replacing.  The corrosion is under the lacquer and now looks pretty awfull on the worst two wheels.  We also initially thought it may have been snow but not convinced.  Mind you, even if the cause is snow it's certainly not acceptable.  Certainly lets the car down to onlookers when parked and otherwise clean 
cornish View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cornish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2009 at 7:18am
Phoned my dealer today to let him know that three wheels are showing it...

Will let him know that you have the same, what dealer - I am with Bristol St. in Stroud.
Wildyce View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildyce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2009 at 4:51pm
Mine is suffering too - both rear wheels although the fronts are so dirty I can't see them properly yet.  Mine's a September 58 with 18 inchers. 

I have to give the car back to Ford in 18 months, so I'm going to speak to the dealer and let him know it's not my fault.

Updated 27/04/09 - size 800x600
Rear Right

Rear Left

Edited by Wildyce - 27 Apr 2009 at 8:51am
cornish View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cornish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2009 at 5:18pm

I will get out there with me camera over the next few days and get some pics, I let the dealer know and he is contacting Ford.

Update on the door seals and after a clean and some Gumi Pflege applied and they are silent which is fantastic.  Don't know how long it will last but the Audi/Bimmer forums seem to thik this stuff is  cure - will drop a post in a couple of weeks.

If someone lets me know how big the pics should be and how to upload I will have a go...
Jase1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jase1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2009 at 11:54pm
Would be really interested to see pics of this guys! I also have a Sept 58 Titanium with 18's. My previous ST3 suffered from this and found out that it was down to the wheel cleaner i was using.....too abrasive? The refurbishers recomended Meguiars wheel cleaner, it's a bit pricy at 7 quid a bottle from Halfords but it does the job and kept the wheels blemish free after refurb. Used it on the Kuga fro new and no blemishes as yet....however i am currently in Kabul so will have to get the wife to check the wheels for me........yes dear the round black things you insist on bouncing up the kerb...lolLOL
cornish View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cornish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2009 at 3:43am

My car gets washed when it goes to the dealer, so no wheel cleaners here....

One of the marks is like a blister and has raised from the wheel...

Wildyce View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildyce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2009 at 8:52am
Photo's added above
moggith View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moggith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2010 at 7:24am
Just washed my kuga and noticed that 3 of the wheels have gone scabby and started to rot?

has anyone else had this problem, and was it covered under warranty?

not best pleased on a car just under a year old, and less than 10 k on the clock Angry
First Kuga - Kuga Zetec 2.0 TDCI, AWD, Moondust Silver with convenience pack & Bluetooth

Second Kuga - 2.0D 140bhp 2WD Zetec in Ginger Ale, with appearance pack and convenience pack
cornish View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cornish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2010 at 8:03am
You need to get them reported to the dealer asap as they are only covered fro 12months....

I had three replaced on mine at around 9months old.

Some members have managed to get some money towards a refurb after the 12months, but best to get them changed.

kugace View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kugace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2010 at 12:54pm
 what wheels are on your kuga standard 17 inch or 18 inch.?i have the 19 inch on my kuga ok condition wise (no rot) but easy to kerb,as cornish says get it back to the dealers ASAP 
moggith View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moggith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2010 at 3:06pm
just the standard zetec ones - just been out and checked em over again - all 4 are knackered!

car is one year old a the end of the month, called the dealer and will take it down to be inspected.

I expect I will have a battle on my hands - bet they say its my fault, used wrong cleaner of took it off road or something.

im working for the next few days, but will report back when i have more news.

Really poor- and hope its just a dodgy batch rather than this being a common fault.

i have had several new fords and never experienced this before?
First Kuga - Kuga Zetec 2.0 TDCI, AWD, Moondust Silver with convenience pack & Bluetooth

Second Kuga - 2.0D 140bhp 2WD Zetec in Ginger Ale, with appearance pack and convenience pack
roadster1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roadster1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2010 at 4:21pm
mines in on the 23rd 12months old on the 7th next month, 2 of mine gone others look ok
i will let you know how i get on
cheers rog
09 vision blue zetec 2wd
moggith View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moggith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2010 at 8:22am
quick update - yes all 4 wheels are shot!

dealer agreed it was due to water ingress, and 4 shiney new wheels are on order for me!

thanks for the tip off about making the complaint before the year was up - got the fault registered with 2 days to go!

wheels to be fitted when she goes in for her 1st service - btw quoted £240! which i thought was very steep!

TK View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2010 at 8:58am

Well done Moggith,

Nice to hear a good result from a dealer for a change. Clap

Shame about the service cost though, mine was £160.

TK
moggith View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moggith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2010 at 10:40am
quite concerning that this has happened though, seems to be a common problem? there is a set of wheels for sale on fleabay that have gone the same way-

hope its just a bad batch, that has now been and gone, really wont be happy if these new ones go the same way and in a years time i have no warranty to have them replaced!

quatroxquatro View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quatroxquatro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2010 at 11:18am
I think genuine parts have their own 12 month warranty?

Stick-in-the-mud? Moi? My flickr Kuga set
charlie01 View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlie01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2010 at 12:39pm
Hi there,
             to confirm-any new parts fitted should honour the original warranty, so should be covered for 12 months from day fitted. Mine also looks like it has alloy corrosion. Noticed a couple of small white marks in unusual places i.e. not kerbed, they look like small white cracks but are under the lacquer. If i run my finger over them they feel slightly raised and are affecting 2 wheels. As my Kuga is over 18 months old, they are out of warranty. Do these sound similar to what others have experienced?
                        regards, charlie01 
moggith View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moggith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2010 at 1:30pm
Hi Charlie - thats exactly it im afraid! might be worth a trip to the dealers to see what they say,

someone quoted that fords will pay some money towards having them refurbed, but i agree with what my dealer says, in that they cannot be refurbed, as they are machined, and not a painted finish

ceebee View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Suspect #2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceebee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2010 at 2:12pm

I got mine refurbished. Didnt get the outer edges skimmed and polished, but just left them painted.

This way I should be guaranteed not to get future rot due to the laquer peeling and you cant really notice the difference anyway?

They now look as good as new, but without the problem areas.

Money well spent to me.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
  Share Topic