FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums!

ALL panel / bumper colour mismatch info

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
moondust View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moondust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ALL panel / bumper colour mismatch info
    Posted: 21 Dec 2013 at 10:16pm
My pearlescent ice white Kuga2 is a great colour…..but the "fuel cap" is noticeably not quite right, this paint reflects to a degree and yes plastic "bumpers" can look different to metal panels in metallic or pearlescent paints and yes perhaps surfaces textures and primers come into play.
      Fuel caps are probably painted at a supplier or are body shell attached but not in final position for body painting, my feeling is its hanging vertical and not the horizontal fitted position and reflects light/colour in a different way to the body shell.
      Anyone else feel that at £795 for a paint job Ford's quality control is overlooking this "mid"-panel variation on paint inspection. 
      Have just ordered another Kuga2 in the similar Platinum White pearlescent could i ask my dealer to add a footnote to the order highlighting this situation.  
Sponsored Links

Fillco View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fillco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2013 at 10:43pm

I’ve noticed this too on new cars, and I agree its probably the way the paint is offered to the panel. I would think Ford know about it but choose to ignore it on the grounds of cost of implementing a new spraying technique. What is more concerning is the design and production departments didn’t appreciate that this could occur, after all metallic and pearlescent paints have been around for a long time. Ford are not quick to change design errors and perhaps production errors.

Kuga Titanium X Sport 180 Manual(AWD), Magnetic (with a few extras). March 2016.
Makes you want to drive it, though not necessarily buy it.
Gazwats View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Kuga Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gazwats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2013 at 11:23pm
Originally posted by moondust moondust wrote:

My pearlescent ice white Kuga2 is a great colour…..but the "fuel cap" is noticeably not quite right, this paint reflects to a degree and yes plastic "bumpers" can look different to metal panels in metallic or pearlescent paints and yes perhaps surfaces textures and primers come into play.
      Fuel caps are probably painted at a supplier or are body shell attached but not in final position for body painting, my feeling is its hanging vertical and not the horizontal fitted position and reflects light/colour in a different way to the body shell.
      Anyone else feel that at £795 for a paint job Ford's quality control is overlooking this "mid"-panel variation on paint inspection. 
      Have just ordered another Kuga2 in the similar Platinum White pearlescent could i ask my dealer to add a footnote to the order highlighting this situation.  
I guess you may have seen it, but on the off chance you haven't here's a thread regarding miss-colour matching on the Mk1:
http://www.kugaownersclub.co.uk/forum/white-kuga-with-off-white-cream-body-panels-bumper_topic5077.html

09 Zetec with factory fitted: parking sensors, xenon headlights, roof rails, tyre deflation system
Feel like adding your Kuga pictures to Flickr?
richardjames View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardjames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2013 at 5:48am
I had this 'off colour' way back when I bought my first Galaxy ie the bumpers being a different shade - its all to do with the base material, plastic/metal.  I had it sprayed a number of times but in the end I had to accept it.  I understand your frustration but this problem is not only with Ford but all manufacturers.  This is why I tend to go for the darker colours in the range but having said that I have just bought a silver Tiguan in place of my kuga and I haven't had chance to look closely at it yet - I will report back when I do
Fillco View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fillco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2013 at 6:37am
But you'd think that in this day and age, that they would experiment with the base material and its natural colour to get the colour right and even if the the base changes ever so slightly between batches, the paint could also be tinted in real time. Though I suspect this could introduce even more errors.

My Hypnonic Silver Mondeo with the light at the right angle, shows the bumpers ever so slightly different. They look perfect in the dark though or when the car wanst a good wash.
Kuga Titanium X Sport 180 Manual(AWD), Magnetic (with a few extras). March 2016.
allerton5 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allerton5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2014 at 1:08pm
Hi,
Could anyone please explain my legal rights as a owner of a new Kuga X Sport
I have bought a platinum white X Sport
The problem is the front bumper,and colour mismatch
I have complained from day one of ownership
I have been in touch with ford customer relations
Have a case number
The factory fit bumper looks a completely different shade than the rest of the car
I looks a yellow shade
I was instructed to take it to a Ford body shop for them to send a report to Ford
They recommended a new bumper from Ford
As the Platinum colour is hard to match and they could end up spraying half way down each side of the car to blend in,so recommend a factory colour code replacement
Fords answer take it off and paint it
I have paid a lot of hard earned money for this X Sport
Even paying above metallic for the platinum colour
Ford customer relations told me the dealer should of explained that a platinum will look different shades
On different panels
I explained I built the car on their web page and not once was this mentioned
And Ford used this colour to promote the new X Sport
Anyone know my legal right as a buyer
Could I take Ford to small claims court for a correct shade colour code factory sprayed bumper?
Any help please?
Gazwats View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Kuga Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gazwats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2014 at 1:59pm
A similar problem occurred on the Mk1 and here's the thread where Mk1 owners were discussing their findings along with the responses Ford gave them regarding the mismatch:

The issue of panel colour mismatch isn't just a Ford problem and I've have seen stories of VWs, BMWs, Alfas, Audis etc etc all having similar issues with folks giving a number of various reasons for the mismatch including things like the fact that the bumpers are painted at the manufacturer and not at the point of the car being built, also a different reaction/finish due to the bumpers being plastic and the body metal.

Anyway there's a fair bit of feedback in that Mk1 thread which might be of use to you before you go back to the dealer/solicitors.

09 Zetec with factory fitted: parking sensors, xenon headlights, roof rails, tyre deflation system
Feel like adding your Kuga pictures to Flickr?
Pickle Pants View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pickle Pants Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2014 at 5:28pm
I personally wouldn't have accepted the car from the dealer and this is something we have done this in the past with Seat. We rejected two brand new cars due to poor paint work, luckily it was 3rd time lucky for us and the dealer was eating out of the palm of our hand as they had 2 cars that they had registered and needed to sell. The only thing I could think of is your rights under the sale of goods act.

http://sogahub.tradingstandards.gov.uk

Good luck
Tongi kuga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tongi kuga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2014 at 8:10am
New Sport arrived in Sterling Grey. Front bumper is NOT same colour. Dealer says it's just reflection from plastic to metal. Very disappointed.
richardjames View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardjames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2014 at 4:21pm
I have had this problem with a silver car and there was no solution - its the same for all makes I'm afraid - it is down to the reflection

Edited by richardjames - 20 Mar 2014 at 4:22pm
kugey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kugey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2014 at 11:26pm
Had this problem with my Sterling grey, it went back to a very good bodyshop and they resprayed it, it was better but still not 100%. The accessor agreed it's a problem with certain colours and even contacted Ford who were aware of it.
He even got the bodyshop to spray a foot square plastic piece they use to check the colour match, put it flat on the floor and it looked the same all over, folded it in half so it was angled and the two sides looked a totally different colour.
Have looked at loads of Ford Kugas and it's quite common with a lot of the colours, might go for a solid colour with the next one
Ford Kuga 2 Titanium 2.0 TDCI AWD 163bhp.Sterling Grey. Convenience Pack. Appearance Pack. Keyless entry.
allerton5 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allerton5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2014 at 11:45pm
Got the same problem with my platinum white kuga x sport
Ford want to respray the bumpers
Front one the worst
Asked for a new bumper,but was told it would look the same
Complained from day one
Waiting for the warranty claim go ahead
Beautiful car,but the front bumper looks yellow
Can't stop looking at bumpers on other cars,so many mismatch
Got a 12 year old silver bmw ,bumper match perfect
nbells View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nbells Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2014 at 7:06am
sorry to say but ....... Not a problem with my nice new shiny blue sport Wink
bobuptown View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobuptown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2014 at 8:34am
Sadly it's an issue Ford have never resolved and clearly it's something that should be picked up during the many? vehicle inspection points. I have a Frozen White Kuga with slightly off white bumpers and my personal feeling is either Ford have Mr Magoo carrying out the visuals or much more likely Ford are aware but they just don't care, and because this problem has been going on for years now my money is on the latter. When I took my Kuga into EH for servicing I mentioned the slight colour mis-match and was told, "seen a lot worse than your's mate? metal vs plasic your never gonna get a perfect match we can try and get it as close as we can but?" and that was pretty much that, to be fair when it's just been cleaned it is barely noticeable however when dirt starts to accumulate that is when the issue is evident, it's over three years old now and when I looked at other marques Audi, Honda, Mazda, VW I did not see that paint problem on any of those examples, mind you none of the cars displayed were white. Lets hope Deep Impact Blue is a perfect match.
April 12th 2017 Copper Pulse Kuga 1.5 TDCi Titanium AWD Powershift Convenience Pack, Enhanced Park Assist.
allerton5 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allerton5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2014 at 8:41am
Seen a blue one in my dealers,when I took mine back,that was mismatched when you are looking for it
It's a shame to have spent so much money
Had three mark 1 Kugas thought the build quality was much better than the mark 2
Love the car,just not the paintwork quality on external supplied parts
Anyone unhappy,we should all get together and approach Ford as a collective group?
allerton5 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allerton5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2014 at 9:54am
You are lucky, seen a blue one at my dealers when you are looking for it you will notice have not seen a sport with bumpers that are 100% match.they are supplied from a external supplier ready painted
nbells View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nbells Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2014 at 12:07pm
Well I must be lucky then ..... My Paintwork is 100% spot on

kuga4574 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kuga4574 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2014 at 1:32pm
Just had a new bumper fitted to my mondeo and that came painted black perfect match
My kuga is frozen white and that is okay as well
At the dealership where I bought mine they had a front bumper resprayed as the customer who ordered it  would not accept it and was going to reject the vehicle
but Fords wouldn't pay the dealer did rather than lose the sale
Tongi kuga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tongi kuga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2014 at 9:36pm
awaiting fords decision but this is not plastic/metal sheen it's the wrong colour !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Fillco View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fillco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2014 at 10:29pm
Can you take a shot from the front down the side. Mine doesnt look like that.. Yours appears to be:- The Wrong Colour.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic