FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums!

ALL Mk2 dashcam, reversing camera info

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 13141516>
Author
Ozekuga View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ozekuga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2017 at 5:21am
That looks very like the wedges that come in the floating floor installation kit.
2016 Kuga Trend MY16.5
2.0L Ecoboost 242 ps AWD with Sync 2 8" touch screen
LED DRL's
Sponsored Links

murcod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murcod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2017 at 6:39am
I think they are used for levelling kitchen cupboards etc. in the building industry. I had a selection of them in different heights (angles) and the black is the largest. I'll post another screen print after I take it out for a drive. I don't think it will give me as low an angle as that test shot with the Mitsi 380 in it.

I've attached it all together using the 3M Dual Lock tape, so it's easily reversible or I can make a bigger wedge and swap that in if this one isn't enough. I've also removed the cradle from the Mobius camera and stuck Dual Lock directly on it. (The Mobius cases are cheap to buy if I want to revert back to the cradle and can't get the Dual Lock off.)
2016 Kuga Titanium 2.0l EcoBoost
CrispyUK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrispyUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2017 at 11:34pm
I'm surprised Ford (and everyone else for that matter) haven't caught on and started offering a factory-fit dash cam option yet. Having it built into the sensor/camera collection behind the rear view mirror would be a very tidy solution.
DaveR-uk View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveR-uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2017 at 11:55pm
CrispyUK,
I think part of the problem is a relative lack of standards among dash-cam manufacturers.  The technology has been advancing in leaps and bounds but if things settle down and some agreed standards emerge, it will only need one major manufacturer to fit them (or at least offer them as a factory option) and every major manufacturer will offer them.

2017 Titanium-X, 2.0 TDCi 180PS AWD powershift, Deep Impact Blue, Appernce Pk, Premium Sync3, Active Prk Assist, Adaptive Cruise Ctrl, Drivers Assist Pk, kick tailgate, heated steering wheel, mudflaps
murcod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murcod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 1:53am
I read somewhere a couple of weeks ago some new car does come equipped with a factory dash cam. I can't remember what vehicle it was though?
Fillco View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fillco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 5:24am
The problem is that most if not all of the Dash Cams are manufactured in the Far East and all offer some basic solution to mounting the camera, but of course every car has a position moss suitable for mounting the camera but the mount may not suit that position. Ideally a custom mount, which you have to make your self.

As for meeting automotive standards, a car manufacturer will meet the standards if a Dash Cam equivalent but I doubt the Far East will run the cost of meeting AEC-Q100 standards unless reflected in the final retail price.
Kuga Titanium X Sport 180 Manual(AWD), Magnetic (with a few extras). March 2016.
Makes you want to drive it, though not necessarily buy it.
murcod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murcod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 1:40pm
The hardware store wedge looks spot on.

These were in some pretty challenging light conditions (factory privacy glass and setting sun.)

This looks like a sane gap at 80km/h:

Stopped at traffic lights- front of following vehicle clearly visible....perhaps a texting driver following??

Ozekuga View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ozekuga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2017 at 9:36pm
Wow that looks really good, how does it cope with night driving with headlights shining at the camera?
Pleased to see that Adelaide drivers are keeping the tradition of tailgating, that Land Cruiser would have no chance of stopping if you braked hard.
2016 Kuga Trend MY16.5
LED DRL's
murcod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murcod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2017 at 1:12am
Yes, he was being stupid. That was about 30m before entering a 60k zone and he obviously objected to me slowing from 80 down to the 60k limit. I'd lifted off the accelerator and he deliberately didn't slow down until he was very close- all I could see in the mirror was the top of the bull bar.

I don't think it would have much hope of reading the plate of a following vehicle at night- unless it was stopped in traffic at an intersection. The privacy glass will also kill the night performance.

Then again, a quick press of the brake pedal could give enough light to help light up the number plate of a following vehicle?

brin23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brin23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2017 at 5:16pm
hi  guys where is the best place to pick up a switched live   supply for a hardwired  forward facing camera om my 17 plate kuga awd
Alan1005 View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Alan1005 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2017 at 5:22pm
Try fuse 85 up behind the glove box... Lay on back in passenger footwell... Mine is wired to this via piggy back fuse on my 2015 titanium x sport 😀
2015 Kuga Titanium X Sport AWD 180PS Moondust Silver. Factory fit tow bar, Adaptive cruise control, Family pack, Driver assist pack, Keyless with hands free tailgate, BLIS.

brin23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brin23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2017 at 5:29pm
tnx allan
murcod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murcod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 1:48am
Originally posted by murcod murcod wrote:

Filco, I just tested out 6 DAB stations with the ignition on (engine not running) and there's no difference to the audio with the camera running. No sign of interference. I'll try FM and AM if I remember- I don't use them when the DAB is so much better.

An update on the Mobius I mounted on the tailgate- it does seem to affect the DAB Cry. I haven't had the radio on much but last night when I switched to DAB the audio was fine for around 30 seconds and then dropped out. Changing to FM the audio was fine, back the DAB and no audio again.

I did recently have it in at the dealer for issues with the Sync 2 "Indexing" non stop and they reset the Sync 2. I'll have to do some elimination on what the cause is, but it's most likely the Mobius camera.

I have got an A119 camera I can try out in the same position to see if that works without interference. I have previously read the Mobius is very noisy (for RF emissions.)

I guess I could wrapped it in aluminium foil and only leave the lens exposed LOL.
Ozekuga View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ozekuga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 3:28am
Just wrap a Balfours pie dish around it.Wink
2016 Kuga Trend MY16.5
LED DRL's
Fillco View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fillco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2017 at 6:55am
Well yes you could wrap the camera in foil but you then need to connect the foil to ground, and you dont know if its the camera or the power supply and the interference is radiating off the supply lead. Ideally you need to be able to power the camera from a non switch mode supply, or a supply that you know is clean. The Kuga antenna does not help you in this situation.

The exact antenna topology on the Kuga is used by other manufacturers (though not all rear screen antennae connect to the radio head the same) and the antennae designer has tried to be clever and its not worked as it become extremely directional. The problem is known and while the Kuga is poor but it is not the worst vehicle, but manufacturers are still happy to send out an inferior combination because they can argue its all subjective when on the road. The problem is that any radiation from a product such as the camera and PSU should be lower than the minimum specification for radio reception and standards exist for this. On the Kuga its compounded with a directional antenna, so as you pass into what is possibly a marginal but acceptable signal area, the antenna which I suspect has a direction property to the tarmac, substantially reduces the ability to actually receive the marginal signal because of the point the radio is actually connected to the antenna.

An example of the above, your TV antenna, look at it, the directional properties are obtained by the elements that are in the direction of the transmitter and the one behind the radiator (where your cable connects). The elements to the front and the one behind may give a gain of 10, but it has also reduced the signal to the rear by 10 too and proportionally any signals to the side. So as you twist and turn along the road the signal strength is changing constantly. You have then to add the complication that in the car your moving, so every 75cm you hit a peak and trough in signal position for FM and for DAB its 35cm. You may notice on FM when on the fringe of your local radio coverage and your moving very slowly in traffic and noise appears on the reception.

The bottom line is that products for automotive use are supposed to meet AEQ (Automotive Electronics Council Qualified)) specification and that involves a lot of money to achieve that qualification, but that should not prevent a product manufacturer achieving the standard/specification without going for certification. So even though the Kuga has a poor reception issue its not the Kuga that's at fault, it just makes it worse.

Edited by Fillco - 17 May 2017 at 3:09pm
Kuga Titanium X Sport 180 Manual(AWD), Magnetic (with a few extras). March 2016.
murcod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murcod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 4:36am
Wow. Way too technical Fillco LOL , you're bringing back memories from trade training many, many years ago!

More driving closer to the city shows it rarely drops out on DAB. So it appears the electrical noise is reducing the sensitivity eg. it's a bit hilly where I live and the first dip I drove down on the way home the DAB dropped out.

I'll look into it further and see if I can come up with a solution - or I'll just buy an A119S if the wife's A119 works better.

Fillco View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fillco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 5:37am
Sorry about that, I'll restrict in future, but hopefully explained what happens with all the elements acting like directors giving the directional properties due to where the actual antennae connection is made, i.e at the top of the rear window. Sensitivity stays the same, the interference produces errors and the radio mutes until the recovered signal has less errors.
murcod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murcod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 9:26am
I found a few DIY tips for creating your own conductive paint- so that might be a new project and then I'll paint the inside of the camera's case. There's a commercially made conductive case available for the Mobius, but it's not cheap and I'd rather invest the money in a newer camera!

I just checked the footage from the rear camera and it's fairly useless at night - much like I was expecting. (I've got privacy glass.) You need very well lit intersections to make things out other than headlights and building lights/ signs. (That's well lit by Australian standards- possibly dimly lit by other country's standards?!) You would be able to read number plates from following cars when queued at traffic lights or if being tail-gated.

Fillco View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fillco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2017 at 9:30am
You could put a proper infra red light at the rear of the car David. Not sure that may be legal mind.
Oldboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2017 at 5:07pm
Hi

I am a new member having acquired, two weeks ago, a year old 16 plate Titanium X AWD automatic. Finding any automatic proved difficult so I was pleased to find such a high-spec model. Two weeks in and I am thoroughly happy with the KUGA both for around town in stop start traffic and on long motorway/A road journeys. I do however find the lack of any parking sensors or reversing camera a real issue so am looking to retrofit a camera. Unlike many posters on here I cannot claim any degree of technical skill with car electronics so have been looking into supplier fitted options. I have found a company called Car Communications who seem ideal. They offer a camera that they claim is optimized to work with the Kuga Sync 2 system and display through the main infotainment screen. Even better they offer a home fitting service. It all seems good (although at £500 a bit pricey). My concern is that maybe this is all too good to be true. They have a very professional web page but they are at times a bit general (every query from any address returns a "we have fitters near you"  response and no-where across all their product range can I find any customer reviews at all. Has anyone used them, or know anything about them? Any feedback on them, good or bad, would be really appreciated.

On a related point, at a year old my KUGA still has two years of manufacturer warranty. Never having added such a significant modification to a car still under warranty before can anyone let me know how Ford would react to this in terms of warranty validity?

Many thanks for any feedback
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 13141516>
  Share Topic