FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums!

ALL Mk1 Sony and DAB radio info and issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
martyrcomms View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martyrcomms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2015 at 9:17pm
Hi All
For the information of all who think that they have a problem with the DAB Reception.
The problem occurs when the radio finds that the dab signal has reduced so what happen the Sony radio is designed to fall back to FM when this happens on the first units you can switch this off but with experience it is best left on automatic. The reason that you can hear around half a second of the same audio is that one comes from satellite and the other is terrestrial and you can hear the delay formed by the round trip to and from the satellite feed very similar to listening to radio from sky and your FM radio at the same time.
I hope this makes sense to you all.
Sponsored Links

KentaKuga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KentaKuga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2015 at 6:51pm
Do you know how you can upgrade to DAB+ please?If there is any upgrade Ouch
Gazwats View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Kuga Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gazwats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2015 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by KentaKuga KentaKuga wrote:

DAB+ hasn't been launched in the UK and is still very much in the testing stage so any software or hardware 'upgrade' is going to be some time off

Edited by Gazwats - 16 Feb 2015 at 7:09pm
09 Zetec with factory fitted: parking sensors, xenon headlights, roof rails, tyre deflation system
Feel like adding your Kuga pictures to Flickr?
KentaKuga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KentaKuga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2015 at 7:34pm
Many thanks Gazwats :) 
bobuptown View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobuptown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2015 at 4:06pm
The Sony DAB radio in my first MK1 Kuga was about as useful as a sewn up onesie, how Sony have continued to retain this supply contract with Ford is a complete mystery. . . . kindness perhaps, or just cheap.
DAB+ has been talked about for many years now here in the UK, it's just my opinion, the coverage and the sound quality of DAB radio still remains poor, and their is a very good reason for that the whole network needs resources, at present the content is being transmitted at just 128 k/bits even your average cable provider are transmitting at double that figure 256k/bits unless I get the urge to climb up on the roof and swing from my TV aerial the DAB signal strength at home is awful and as a result I much prefer the ultra reliable and popular FM which the government keeps telling us is being ditched by 2015? but apparently with an election just around the corner it's had a reprieve now from 2017 - 2019. 4G/5G? and DAB+ licences are in place to generate even more money for the treasury via OFCOM and it's irrelevant if that technology works or not that's not their priority. Everybody knows that for some (not all) that DAB is poor and the problems seems to be a lack of investment in the infrastructure. I purchased a Roberts radio which was launched in the bin a few years ago because it sucked batteries dry within a day or so curiously that had a DAB+ function button? wishful thinking or what? The cost of this switchover to the public is an estimated 7.7 Billion that's an awful lot of money that would be better spent elsewhere . . . don't you think.

Regards.

Bob.

Edited by bobuptown - 17 Feb 2015 at 4:07pm
April 12th 2017 Copper Pulse Kuga 1.5 TDCi Titanium AWD Powershift Convenience Pack, Enhanced Park Assist.
Fillco View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fillco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2015 at 5:11pm

Interesting comments Bob. Bear in mind that Sony make very good OEM equipment, so why is the unit in the Ford so poor. I’ll draw a slight comparison with the SATNAV head unit in the MK2 Kuga, that radio actually seems OK apart from being clumsy to use, the SATNAV is awful, being a Sony SATNAV with TomTom mapping. One or both of the latter have got something wrong in the design intent as the 2013 mapping on my car is actually less detail than my 2011 Garmin. Like, the Channel Islands don’t exist in the Western Europe version 4 in my car. I’m aware that V4.1 now has some limited Chanel Island detail.

I digress. The DAB radio reception on the MK2 is abysmal but it’s down to the poor antennae design in the rear window which because of its directional properties causes drop outs even in line of site with the transmitter at 20 miles away.

Why Sony have continued to supply is odd, but even more is that Sony could have transferred their design technology into the Ford project, they appear not to have.

The SATNAV head unit in the MK2 as a combined Sony/TomTom is poor but both companies successfully market their own brands, so what design intent were they given by Ford to produce such a un-worthwhile piece of kit?

What was wrong with the MK1 DAB, was it juts poor or was it user interface? Your Roberts radio wasn’t a Sports Dab 5 was it?

Edited by Fillco - 17 Feb 2015 at 6:31pm
Kuga Titanium X Sport 180 Manual(AWD), Magnetic (with a few extras). March 2016.
Makes you want to drive it, though not necessarily buy it.
piemonster View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
The Honeymonsters twin brother

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piemonster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2015 at 6:13pm
Never had a problem with the my MK1 Sony Dab unit, only lose reception when out of range of local station.........it soon finds another........
A white un with 4 wheels, engine, cumffy seats, ice blue interior lighting, mud flaps, Ford DRL's, carbon rear bumper protector, wind deflectors, gel badges all round, chrome handle covers
KugaSpud View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KugaSpud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2015 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by Gazwats Gazwats wrote:

Originally posted by KentaKuga KentaKuga wrote:

DAB+ hasn't been launched in the UK and is still very much in the testing stage so any software or hardware 'upgrade' is going to be some time off

I'm told Australia doesn't broadcast the old DAB signal, they have gone straight for the DAB+ system. Wink

So the standard Sony unit fitted to me 2011 Kuga worked fine in Australia picking up their DAB+ broadcasts. Bloody long way to go just to test the DAB reception. Embarrassed
Frozen White 140 FWD Tit, Manual with 18" Alloys, App+Conv Packs, BT/USB -Born 25 Sept 2011, Added Extras: Mudflaps, Wax, KOC TDH, Westfalia Detachable tow bar. Some LEDs and Ford DRLs.
phoneman View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phoneman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2015 at 10:22pm
Can't agree about the adverse comments on Sony unit, my MK1 unit is spot on and never had a problem and I use DAB a lot of the time . I can only speak as I find but I must agree if the antennas not right then reception never will be. Ford introduced rear screen antennas years ago in the Granada and they weren't very good then
MK2 Titanium X Sport in Panther Black, wind deflectors, bumper and bonnet protectors
Fillco View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fillco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2015 at 10:37pm
MK1 has an external antennae of course.

MK2 SATNAV head unit is clumsy to use and reception is poor due to antennae design. Sony head unit in my old Mondeo and it was very good

The antennae on the MK2 has been designed by someone who clearly doesnt understand the effect of putting bits of foil near the element to effectively tune the antennae, but which also makes it directional.
Kuga Titanium X Sport 180 Manual(AWD), Magnetic (with a few extras). March 2016.
Swampy83 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swampy83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2015 at 6:53pm
Have a look in settings there is a function where the radio will auto switch between DAB and fm when there is no DAB signal could be that
ftoomsh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ftoomsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2015 at 10:49am
ftoomsh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ftoomsh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2015 at 10:58am
Hi guys,

having had our 2011 163 awd titanium for a week we are now getting a little frustrated at having a DAB Radio that keeps dropping signal or showing that the station is not available???

is there a software update to cure this???

thanks
Crispy View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crispy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2015 at 11:39am
I sympathise
Whilst mine doesn't drop very often (which is probably mostly due to living near London I suspect) the radios ability to get a signal when changing stations is questionable at best.

I think it's a common problem with DAB radios in cars - the technology just isn't up to scratch yet which considering national FM is "supposed" to be being switched off soon is pretty poor.
anthonyjayw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonyjayw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2015 at 9:13pm
I have a Sony stereo in my kuga and occasionally when I start the car the display stays black, the unit works but it can't be turned up or down nor can it be turned off. None of the buttons works.

When the car is turned off and started again a wee while later it works as it should, ie the display is back on and the buttons work.

Is there anything to fix this or do I need to replace the complete unit?

I can live with it for now but it will drive me potty eventually!!
Dneilom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dneilom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2016 at 4:22pm
Thinking of changing from cd6000 to.the sony upgraded one.
Whats the difference between 2008 and 2012 models. I see on fleabay they have both options.

Edited by Dneilom - 30 Jan 2016 at 9:39pm
Wild Rover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wild Rover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2016 at 8:52pm
Hi guys I've just purchased my Kuga which is mk1 61 plate. I'm also new to DAB radios. I noticed today on my way to Nottingham that whilst listening to the DAB radio it sounded like it had bad reception. Some channels stopped working all together.

Is this normal?

Is there any way to improve reception?

Am I missing something? (No puns please) ☺
Delboydog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delboydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2016 at 5:24pm
Hi and hello
I am new to the forum ,and if possible need some help
I have just bought a 2009 kuga .the radio in it is a Sony dab /cd player.yesterday it started to click with nothing else working ie voice control ...cd then this morning it worked fine till I stopped to pick up a paper and again no radio just the clicking .i took the unit out today and the date on the radio is June 2014 so it's been replaced before I want to come away from the Sony ford radio ..I am thinking of buying a new double din radio but need help as I do not want to lose the voice contor .is there a good aftermarket unit that will support This I will be great-full for any help
Carloss1515 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carloss1515 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2016 at 9:56am
Could anyone advice me or tell me of a repairer in the south yorks area
My problem is my dab radio when I switch it on anyways trys to eject a cd ( none in there) then it comes up with cd error message .. I would like to be able to use the cd player again
2011 titanuim kuga 163bhp
Fillco View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fillco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2016 at 1:10pm
You probably thought of this, but is the CD eject button perhaps stuck in. If you havent tried, give the button a few presses.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic