FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums!

ALL Mk1 Sony and DAB radio info and issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Rampman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rampman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2011 at 8:46pm
If it clicks etc just hold the on/off button for 30 seconds or so until the unit says 'reset' - job done . Have had this issue with mine twice but it has always been with multiple phones being bluetoothed at the same time.
was -Awd Zetec , appearance pack , Sony Dab + B/T & Usb , mudflaps & bootliner
now - BMW 4 series
Sponsored Links

Rampman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rampman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2011 at 8:48pm
Bob - its hardly the stereos fault that your Dab coverage is rubbish...not that you will care at the minute if you support either City or United !!! ( Any Spurs or Arsenal fans care to comment )
now - BMW 4 series
Dr_Niss View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr_Niss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2011 at 8:55pm
Originally posted by Rampman Rampman wrote:

Bob - its hardly the stereos fault that your Dab coverage is rubbish...not that you will care at the minute if you support either City or United !!! ( Any Spurs or Arsenal fans care to comment )

Well at least I have good DAB reception
09 Xetec 4WD. Panther Black. Convenience pack. Appearance Pack. Factory fitted removable towbar. Blue footwell lights. Bumper protector. Mud Flaps. Lockwood SS sill protectors Thingy.
JB1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JB1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2011 at 10:27pm
Hi all

I had this very problem when my car was only a couple of months old back in 09.  Took it to dealership the next day but the stereo was working ok.  They done checks on it but couldn't find a problem.  It then happened again about 2 months later and managed to get it to the dealership whilst it was clicking.  They agreed to replace it under warranty but apparently didn't have a warranty aggreement with sony.  Had to wait approx 4 months and got Ford UK involved who said it wasn't their problem.  Insisted it was and phoned their help desk everyday for a week.  In the end I refused to allow the girl at Ford to put the phone down on me until i spoke to her boss. 

Anyway, the dealership finally got a new stereo and fitted it.  Damaged the plastic surround so had them replace that as well.

I read on here that there was a batch of dodgy stereos fitted back in 09.  Not sure if mine was one of them, but the reception on my new stereo is way much better and receives more channels covering the same journey.

Hope this helps you all

JB
bobuptown View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobuptown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2011 at 12:35pm
Hi JB1, remember reading someone (you?) posting that facia surround had been damaged.  Yes, yes also recall Ford having production issues with Titanium models, Autumn? 2009 as a direct result of the Sony DAB units, delays whilst Sony carried out an upgrade.
April 12th 2017 Copper Pulse Kuga 1.5 TDCi Titanium AWD Powershift Convenience Pack, Enhanced Park Assist.
bluga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2011 at 3:30pm
I too had this problem, once went all way to Newcastle with it ticking, nothing solved it. On return from airport one week later it was fine. Second time it did it went straight to dealership so technician could hear it. They did a software upgrade which seemed to solve it temporarily until about two months ago when it did it again and then resolved itself. fingers crossed!
nedkelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nedkelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2011 at 9:43pm
So far its been ok fingers crossed maybe it was having a bad dayTongue
Kuga Titanium mk 2 awd Apperance pack Panther Black ,Bluetooth Kit
Noddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2011 at 11:00am
Wonder if anyone has experienced a similar problem. I have been happily using both bluetooth and ipod connectivity with my Sony DAB radio unit for over two years, however while fumbling with my iphone I inadvertently initiated a call to an unknown number, I pressed the red telephone button and the radio display 'froze'. I was forced to switch off the ignition to reset the unit but on restarting, the radio would not power up. The time is still displayed and functions such as CD eject still work, but the unit does not play. Any ideas anyone pleaseDead
Rampman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rampman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2011 at 3:06pm
Press & hold the on/off button for about 30 seconds - the unit will re set itself.
now - BMW 4 series
Noddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2011 at 7:28pm
Many thanks for the info, I noticed when dark that the information display and radio remained illuminated even with the car locked. Yes! next morning -2 deg battery flat. When I jump started the car it would not turn over but the radio came back on.
Some hours on the battery charger and all was well again, appears I have discovered an alternative method!

Appreciate the help.Tongue
jk2447 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jk2447 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2012 at 7:50pm
Hi All

Just after some advice myself and didn't see the point in raising a new thread, hope that's ok?  Guess I'll find out.

My 09 reg Kuga Sony DAB radio thinks its got a cd in bay2 when it has not.  Would my radio be covered under the warranty do you think?  Its getting close now, so I better tell them if it is covered :S

Any advice would be much appreciated, Jim
minimadgriff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minimadgriff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2012 at 8:13pm
Hold down the on/off button for about 30 seconds or so and it will reset the radio, see if that helps.
Sea Grey Titanium AWD Kuga. App Pack, BT/VC/USB, 18" wheels, FX NAV, etc etc
jk2447 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jk2447 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2012 at 1:21pm
Hi, thanks for the advice but that did not work, does anyne know if my warranty would cover the radio?  I must be approaching 3 years old soon
Berkshire Bandit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Berkshire Bandit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2012 at 9:46am
Hi jk2447

Yes it is covered under the 3 year warranty so if it is getting close you should get it in sooner rather than later

KugaNo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KugaNo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 9:10pm
I've just part-ex'd my 59 plate Titanium for a 12-plate Titanium. On my old car, the DAB reception was perfect, never lost any reception on BBC or stations like Absolute Radio (I live in Beds). New car is identical, but this Sony unit loses reception, especially on lower ground. Any idea why? The new car has a scratched head unit, and marks around the "key holes", so I'm wondering if my car had a different head unit (sat nav?) and it was swapped before I purchased it - maybe the aerial is loose?

Dealer has promised me a replacement head unit, but I wouldn't be surprised if they just replace the damaged trim.....
Dozers Dad View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!
Suspect #1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dozers Dad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by KugaNo KugaNo wrote:

Dealer has promised me a replacement head unit, but I wouldn't be surprised if they just replace the damaged trim.....

Hi KugaNo,

You could put a tiny mark on the headunit with a UV marker pen. Then check it when the radio has been swapped? If they haven't swapped the whole thing and you can prove it. I can see a free service and some general bum kissing will follow! Big smile Do a short video on a mobile phone of yourself marking the head unit aswell incase you need to email it to Ford or whoever you bought the Kuga from.

Regards Jez
Owner of "Freddy" the Moondust silver 60 plate TDCi Titanium Z pack, Appearance pack, Bluetooth with USB & Voice control, Reversing camera (Thingy owner but it's been removed for it's own safety) :0)
Stupot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stupot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by KugaNo KugaNo wrote:

I've just part-ex'd my 59 plate Titanium for a 12-plate Titanium. On my old car, the DAB reception was perfect, never lost any reception on BBC or stations like Absolute Radio (I live in Beds). New car is identical, but this Sony unit loses reception, especially on lower ground. Any idea why? The new car has a scratched head unit, and marks around the "key holes", so I'm wondering if my car had a different head unit (sat nav?) and it was swapped before I purchased it - maybe the aerial is loose?

Enter you reg number on Etis, this should tell you what ICE system was installed at the factory.
Kuga 1 08-58 Titanium TDCi 136 AWD, Panther Blk.
Kuga 2 11-61 Titanium X TDCI 163 AWD. Panther Blk. P/Shift.
Kuga 3 14-14 Titanium X Sport, 163 AWD, Frozen White, P/Shift.
KugaNo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KugaNo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 9:56pm
Thanks for that Stupot. Checked Etis and it says...

BT/VC Phone Interface + USB Connect
 With Centre Antenna
 High Level CD+AM/FM+DAB
 Ice Feature Pack 82
 With 8 High Series Radio Speakers

So it looks like the head unit hasn't beem swapped, but it does explain the scratch or damaged key holes. To be continued.....!

EDIT: wish I hadn't looked now, my 'new' car was built in May 2011 !

Edited by KugaNo - 02 Apr 2012 at 10:11pm
KugaNo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KugaNo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2012 at 8:59am
Got my Kuga back, new headunit fitted, but still losing the DAB signal where it was fine in my old Kuga. It's booked in again for 30th Apr, but service manager admitted he doesn't know what they can do, which is reassuring....
KugaNo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KugaNo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2012 at 7:22am
Question: my old Kuga had the aerial at the front of the roof, whereas my new Kuga has the aerial at the rear. As mentioned, the DAB reception on old Kuga was excellent, but the new Kuga keeps losing the DAB signal at certain points of my daily commute, even on mainstream BBC stations. Just wondering if anyone who has traded to a newer Kuga has experienced a worse DAB signal with the aerial being mounted at the rear? Unlikely I would have thought, but you never know.....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic