FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums!

ALL Mk1 Sony and DAB radio info and issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
bobuptown View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobuptown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2011 at 4:42pm
Haz, continual "drop out " via Kuga DAB which is annoying, got two dab radio's forget about using any of them downstairs signal strength is one bar, go upstairs and it may improve slightly, one has an SD card for recording, but it's pointless recording bad/poor reception.
Haz, what would your favourite station be?
I listen to Jazz Fm they originally broadcast on Fm, but not anymore, Why still use Fm? I have no idea.
Available through Freesat, Sky, and via the internet. 
April 2014 Deep Impact Blue Kuga Titanium AWD Powershift Convenience/App Pack, with Tyre Def.
Sponsored Links

Teuchter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teuchter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2011 at 8:05pm
I've been a user of DAB radio since 2004, using initially a Bush personal DAB at home (2.5 miles from the Mormond Hill transmitter) and work lunch times (Tullos, Aberdeen at the time) and for three years with a Vectra SRI.

My point is that the sony unit fitted to the Kuga doesn't compare well to the one I had in the vectra, which i think was a Blaupunkt unit and was vastly superior in performance, losing the signal very infrequently. The Sony's performance has been very disappointing .

Kuga Tango AWD Titanium X with Appearance and Convenience packs
HugaKuga View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!
The forums Youtube & Google King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HugaKuga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2011 at 8:24pm
http://www.ukdigitalradio.com/coverage/postcodesearch/
useful link - to see also which stations you might get nearest your post code...
Niall View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!
Billy no mates shiny NEW car!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Niall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2011 at 9:54pm
Originally posted by Rampman Rampman wrote:

Niall - like your new nickname - now if anyone ever catches you with so much as a speck of dirt on your Kuga...

Rampman - not my choice!!! The nickname has been 'imposed' on me by our witty moderator team. Of course this just means that I will have to clean my Kuga even MORE often !!!

Cheers,
Billynomates
2.0TDCi 163PS AWD Titanium X PowerShift; Lunar Sky; Dec '12; Conv-Pack, App-Pack, SD SatNav + Rev. Camera; 8-off 18" Alloys + Continental Summers/Dunlop Winters; Seat Trays; Thingy; KOC TDH; BSG !!
Rampman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rampman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 8:37am
Bob - BBC Radio 6 is my station of choice.

Niall - just cos the nickname has been imposed on you doesnt mean its not true
was -Awd Zetec , appearance pack , Sony Dab + B/T & Usb , mudflaps & bootliner
now - BMW 4 series
Niall View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Niall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 8:40am
RM - I didn't say I was denying it, I just didn't 'choose it' !! (but I am organising a 'fatwah' against the moderator team, just to be on the safe side)

BNM
2.0TDCi 163PS AWD Titanium X PowerShift; Lunar Sky; Dec '12; Conv-Pack, App-Pack, SD SatNav + Rev. Camera; 8-off 18" Alloys + Continental Summers/Dunlop Winters; Seat Trays; Thingy; KOC TDH; BSG !!
Rampman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rampman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 8:47am
was -Awd Zetec , appearance pack , Sony Dab + B/T & Usb , mudflaps & bootliner
now - BMW 4 series
bobuptown View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobuptown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 1:55pm
Hi HK.  Re: Ukdigitalradio postcode checker, yes, yes you ae correct you can check to see what station you are likely to receive, however that checker is like any other checker it's main function is to sell DAB, I recently changed my I-Phone 4 for a Samsung SII and migrated from Orange to the O2 network,(transferring music from I-Tunes to the Samsung should be fun) but before doing so I did the mobile phone postcode checker thing, all GOOD ticks for reception/coverage, the reality for me is 02 are really no better or worse than Orange, generally despite the pap on the website, updating, internet access is poor. 
April 2014 Deep Impact Blue Kuga Titanium AWD Powershift Convenience/App Pack, with Tyre Def.
Niall View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Niall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 8:51am
To Samsung Galaxy S2 from iPhone? Me too. Your initial feelings? (I stayed O2 throughout, I have tried all the other network providers, and have been a cellular dealer in the past, and I still reckon O2 'have the edge' - in the UK at least).

Cheers,
Niall
bobuptown View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobuptown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2011 at 11:48pm
Niall, for me personally the Samsung Galaxy SII is brilliant compared to the I-Phone, however I find it not quite as easy to navigate but it's packed with more features and right now voted No1 mobile handset, the very latest "must have phone" downside just like my old I-Phone 4 it needs charging daily, screen resolution and video is quite stunning in comparison, got a 32Gb micro SD so storage should not be an issue, I was going to hang on a few weeks until September for the All White Samsung SII,  but black is just fine, build I have to say compared to the I-Phone and wifes HTC HD seems a bit fragile  . .  but we shall see, what can I say  . . . . . all my mates want one. 02 stores were quite expensive, they wanted money upfront for the handset, and overall bundles offered were poor compared to the best deal which was Tesco (02 network) 750 minutes, U/L Txts and IGb of data. £32.50 per month, I-Phone was £40 plus the bundle now seems quite laughable. Enjoy.   
Niall View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Niall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2011 at 12:06am
I got my SGS2 on £18.50/month, 100minutes, U/L texts, 500Mb data and £100 'up front'. That is HALF the price I was paying for my crap iPhone3G 16Gb - and I sold the iPhone on eBay for £125 !!!

I don't need any more minutes or extra data - after all, I'm Bill-no-mates, and I spend too much time polishing to be phoning (and, I've got a proper PC, and a real phone at home that I can use, and WiFi to save on data - none of which is 3G anyway, 'cos BNM is fortunate to also be Billy-no-neighbours as well, and so the cellular networks don't plan to upgrade our area to 3G until well after everyone else has been upgraded to 7G)

Cheers,
Niall
SteveH40 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Gutbuckets Wingman in the Caravan Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveH40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2011 at 7:36am
Back to the original point - My DAB works really well in and around the Tamworth area, Planet Rock is stable with no apparent drop outs or loss of signal.
Vision Blue Zetec 2010,2.0 TDCi - 2WD, Roof rails, Privacy glass, Sony DAB with voice control + bluetooth, 18" alloys.
tonymac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonymac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2011 at 8:52pm
Back to the original post........
I too thought I had an issue with my Sony DAB headunit. FM and DAB would seem to skip a second or two, or miss a second or two
Living where I do (in the middle of the Peak District), this was happening regularly, which led me to believe it was a reception issue. In my case, the problem was related to the "Digital Radio Service Link" option. This issue is discussed in the first couple of posts on this link

I disabled this option and the issue has gone away!

Not sure how this explains the problem with CD and AUX though

Hope this helps someone!

Edited by tonymac - 18 Aug 2011 at 9:03pm
nedkelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nedkelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2011 at 12:04am
Hello so far i have been pleased with the Kuga but tonight the radio decided not to work .It is all lit up but there is a clicking noise coming from the speakers .Ihave turned it off a couple of time but still the same .I will have a look tommorow and take the fuse out and disconect the the radio to see if this helps has anyone else had this ? .Cry
Kuga Titanium mk 2 awd Apperance pack Panther Black ,Bluetooth Kit
bobuptown View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bobuptown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2011 at 2:32pm
Hi nedkelly,  unfortunately for some Kuga owners with a Sony DAB it's what's called a  "Characteristic" Yes, yes mine clicks  goes dead, and sounds as though it's been broadcast from under water sometimes, however good news is dealer informs me that it's another  Sony Characteristic.
ukcobra View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ukcobra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2011 at 3:07pm
There is a reset procedure documented on here somewhere. I actually like the Sony DAB unit.
NOW Sold : 59 ( Jan 2010) Moondust Silver, Titanium AWD, Appearance, USB + BT, 18" Wheels (PM Me for Details)
Dr_Niss View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dr_Niss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2011 at 3:22pm
I've found a post which mentions to reset you hold the on/off button for 30 seconds.
Mine came without DAB and I fitted a Sony DAB radio as I couldn't find another dual din DAB and my old single din one with an adapter looked a bit naff.
No problem with DAB reception or clicks but I did fit a glass mounted DAB aerial as it was easier than changing the rear fitted aerial.
09 Xetec 4WD. Panther Black. Convenience pack. Appearance Pack. Factory fitted removable towbar. Blue footwell lights. Bumper protector. Mud Flaps. Lockwood SS sill protectors Thingy.
nedkelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nedkelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2011 at 7:45pm
Thanks for the replies started car this morning and it worked will monitor
Kuga Titanium mk 2 awd Apperance pack Panther Black ,Bluetooth Kit
Phill View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2011 at 11:10pm
Mine does this, clicks once when engine turned on every time but then works fine... but on the odd journey (maybe 1 in 100) it just clicks and clicks and clicks, no amount of button pressing gets any music out of it -  turning off the engine and restarting it makes no difference either so fingers crossed it never happens on the start of a long journey lol...

...I have mentioned it to the dealer when i had other warranty work done, but they just fobbed me off, I will definatly get them to investigate it further at its service in the next month or two.
2009 Vision Blue Kuga Titanium 2.0 TDCI, with some extras...
bobuptown View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobuptown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2011 at 6:08pm
ukcobra, you like your Sony, well good!! but it really all depends on where you live, DAB reception in my area for example is poor, probably due to an out of date transmitter/infrastructure, which sadly is unlikely to improve any time soon. All my passengers comment on how pretty the Sony unit looks, but being pretty is not quite enough I'm afraid.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic