FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums!

ALL Mk1 Sony and DAB radio info and issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
charlieparker View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlieparker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ALL Mk1 Sony and DAB radio info and issues
    Posted: 19 Jul 2009 at 2:02pm
Hi,

I have a Sony DAB radio fitted to my Titanium and it has an intermittent fault.  Occassionally it repeats a short piece of music or whatever I'm listening too.  Probably repeats only a seconds worth but it's really annoying.  Fault exists across all modes i.e. DAB, analogue, CD etc etc.  Has anyone else had a similar fault?

Will book it in shortly but will maybe have difficulty getting them to believe me as it will be perfect when I try to demonstrate the fault.

Sponsored Links

bobuptown View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobuptown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2009 at 10:01pm
Hi charlieparker  Jazz Cool?  I collected Kuga Titanium Avalon with front rear parking sensors could of got privacy glass and roof rail but did not want dark glass so got nowt else.   Picked Kuga up  early Saturday morning covered over 500 miles upto now and have to admit the Sony DAB radio has a mind of it's own like I mentioned in a previous earlier post it's possibly down to user error scanned quickly through operating instructions and thought Jeso why does technology have to be so complicated to understand?  having said that I stumbled across a wheels tyres section in main manual read that the Kuga does not have a spare wheel? and it went on to explain about using some sort of sex aid device which squirts rubber into punctured tyres however whilst shopping and curious I lifted up boot carpet to see if it had any floor secret hideyholes and saw a spacesaver tyre firmly bolted to the floorpan so I must of read the manual out of context. The other problem with DAB is no signal available messages and stations that just disappear hang about DAB was supposed to address all those types of analogue glitches wasn't it?  I have a portable DAB radio which is totally useless downstairs but manages to pickup most stations in half signal strength, but yet to find any station broadcasting with full signal strength Question:    Is Digital TV going to be the next mass public disappointment.   Bob.  
bobuptown View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobuptown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2009 at 10:15pm
Sorry eat a meat pie earler and having difficulty finishing sentences Moooo   charlieparker DAB portables reception improves considerably upstairs. Like I said listening to say Smooth Fm and it jumps onto Radio 1 then onto Radio Cymru which is great because I don't even speak Spanish.
charlieparker View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlieparker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2009 at 10:15am
interesting reply bobuptown, well the bits I could understand were.

The problem is unconnected to digital reception; as I said the repeating happend across all modes digital, analogue and cd, so nothing at all to do with reception.  Seems to be related to a common factor which would be the amp circuit or something akin.
bobuptown View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobuptown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2009 at 6:13pm
Hi charlieparker   Lack of understanding?    May well be down to all those years of doing those cryptic crossword puzzles  . . .  I'm afraid       lol.
KugaV View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KugaV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2011 at 6:00am
Hi Chalieparker, did you ever resolve the DAB radio problem as I too have been experiencing this problem.
Titanium AWD, Moondust Silver, Appearance Pack, Titanium X Pack, RGM Bumperguard, Mud Flaps
marky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2011 at 1:03pm
im new too the kuga , i keep losing reception on the digital staions very annoying . anybody else had problems cheers mark
bobuptown View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobuptown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2011 at 7:52am
Where I live DAB reception is not good, I even have to use our portable Dab's upstairs, bizarrely Kuga's Sony is much better on FM for me.
April 12th 2017 Copper Pulse Kuga 1.5 TDCi Titanium AWD Powershift Convenience Pack, Enhanced Park Assist.
BruceKuga View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BruceKuga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2011 at 8:24am
I also think its dependant on where you live at the moment.  We used to have intermittent DAB reception in Thurrock, Essex, but in the last year it has greatly improved, with no drop in signal at all now. Maybe the signals are getting stronger.
June '16 Titanium X 180 AWD Shadow &
June '17 Titanium 150 2WD Magnetic
bobuptown View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobuptown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2011 at 8:41am
Hi BruceKuga, odd thing is, when you enter your postcode to carry out a DAB signal coverage check, the signal strength is classed as GOOD? 
April 12th 2017 Copper Pulse Kuga 1.5 TDCi Titanium AWD Powershift Convenience Pack, Enhanced Park Assist.
Pennine MC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pennine MC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2011 at 6:43pm
There are, and always have been, two spots on my drive to work where the DAB drops out.  Of course, it's always at those few bars of the song that you like bestConfused
Ian

Sep 2010 - April 2016: 2010/60 163ps/4WD Titanium in Sea Grey with appearance pack.

Feb 2017 - : 2016/16 180ps/4WD Titanium X in Magnetic with appearance pack and Sync2 satnav.
cougar2kuga View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cougar2kuga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2011 at 9:56pm
I've noticed that now I've switched stations the signal around the lower half of the M25 ive better reception. So maybe it's station dependant?
Focus Estate Titanium X driver / appearance pack, sat nav and reversing camera. Panther black with 18" Alloys.
alex1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alex1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2011 at 7:14pm
Smile
had intermittant problems with my dab radio got the main dealer to upload newer software for the unit but still had problems finally got a replacement unit under warranty from ford and fingers crossed no problems now
sometimes my unit just did not work a crackling noise every now and then from the speakers and yes you guessed it when went to dealer radio would work fine only to pack up again a few days later
Niall View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!
Billy no mates shiny NEW car!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Niall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2011 at 11:17pm
Hi Alex - welcome aboard to another 'Kuga loon fae Aiberdeen' - we almost have enough local members to put together a Bridge team !!

Cheers,
Niall
2.0TDCi 163PS AWD Titanium X PowerShift; Lunar Sky; Dec '12; Conv-Pack, App-Pack, SD SatNav + Rev. Camera; 8-off 18" Alloys + Continental Summers/Dunlop Winters; Seat Trays; Thingy; KOC TDH; BSG !!
Teuchter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teuchter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2011 at 10:38am
My Sony DAB unit also repeats a few seconds - but only on FM! Overall pretty disappointed with DAB reception compared to the one in my previous vectra. Has anyone figured out what the info button does??
Kuga Tango AWD Titanium X with Appearance and Convenience packs
bobuptown View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobuptown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2011 at 1:34pm
Hi Teuchter, Kuga's Sony DAB radio for me is a total waste, and it's an issue that I have raised with my dealer initially with the first 2009 Kuga (during 1st service) and more recently with my March 2011 Kuga, basically Ford have clearly ignored concerns as no improvement has been made between vehicles, which for some owners (clearly not all) the Sony DAB radio is basically a heap of rubbish, far better to fit something that actually works, like an FM radio and perhaps use the balance of the high cost of Sony DAB unit by fitting something that will work and be useful, like USB and Bluetooth for example, thinking about it built in sat-nav would be even better.  Big smile
Niall View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Niall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2011 at 1:38pm
This isn't really the fault of the in-car receiver, it is rather a fault with the exceedingly limiter coverage of the DAB broadcast transmitters.

The whole point of DAB might work quite happily in, say, the Netherlands. But, when you introduce 'obstructions' (mountains, hills, tall buildings, short buildings, trees, tall grass, clouds, etc.) then all bets are off.

Inlike FM (and AM) radio - in the 'analogue' - you just receive on long continuous stream of 'signal'. If there is a signal dropout (fading in the old AM days, hiss - or a loss of 'stereo' - in the not so old FM days) then you, as the listener, just put up with it.

In the ;digital' world of DAB, just like the world of BSkyB, when you 'lose' the signal, the electronics tries to 'do something'. On your TV, you see the signal 'freeze', usually in chunky blocks. In the world of DAB, there is a memory buffer that stores the recent data stream, some of which will have been 'played back' to you already, some of which is 'yet to be played'. So long as the buffer is kept full (i.e. it does not 'under-run') then you don't hear any interruption as new data arrives to keep the buffer filled.

But, when signal reception os poor, the buffer 'under-runs' and the software then has to decide what to do next. Now, it may be that there is also data being received from a different transmitter, and so that data can be streamed to the listener - but the problem is where to 'make the change'. Sometimes there will have been enough signal information to tell the software where in the data buffer to make a 'seamless change' from one transmitter to the other. But if the signals from one or other transmitter are sufficiently poor, then that 'seamless' transition cannot be made - hence you hear data being 'repeated'

The basic problem is that our terrestrial broadcast network is cr4p - in many cases far worse than even 'third world' networks - all because we are over-regulated, as well as being under-funded. We are not ready for DAB, but consumers are being herded into buyig receivers (by any and all means) because there is an income stream in the sale of receivers that can be used to subsidise the expansion of the transmitter network.

It is no different from the mobile phone network. Your 'ownership' of your phone helps pay for cellular operators to set up new base stations (or to repair/upgrade stations that have probably been on the go for more than twenty-five years now). But, the income stream doen't always get channeled to the correct destination (just like the tax on fuel doesn't get associated with the road network in most cases).

Bottom line: think of DAB as the same as 3G or videocalling on your mobile. Yes the technology exists, yes it maybe works in Central London. But, do you really want to have to live there in order to take advantage of it?? If you don't, and choose to live in the 'real world', then you have to accept that the DAB network is just not really ready for use, not everywhere (and in many cases, like 3G and videocalling, not 'anywhere').

Where I live - inside the city limits of the third largest city in Scotland, we have NO cellular 3G coverage. We also have NO terrestrial digital TV reception, and we certainly do not have DAB radio reception (unless I stand on the roof!!). Heck, on the daily 20-mile commute round the outskirts of Aberdeen, I barely even get 25% signal strength as far as FM reception is concerned, and I know of plenty of areas between here and Manchester where there is actually NO signal reception, of any kind, whatsoever.

DAB, in my opinion, is still a fledgling technology - and will remain so for the next ten years (until ALL other forms of 'analogue' terrestrial broadcasting have been turned off). Even then, be prepared to encounter somewhere between 10 to 20% of the UK (by land area) where DAB signal reception will simply not be available (because broadcasters only have to reach a 'target audience by percentage', not a 'target area by percentage').

Cheers,
Niall
2.0TDCi 163PS AWD Titanium X PowerShift; Lunar Sky; Dec '12; Conv-Pack, App-Pack, SD SatNav + Rev. Camera; 8-off 18" Alloys + Continental Summers/Dunlop Winters; Seat Trays; Thingy; KOC TDH; BSG !!
Niall View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Niall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2011 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by bobuptown bobuptown wrote:

. . . by fitting something that will work and be useful, like USB and Bluetooth for example, thinking about it built in sat-nav would be even better.  Big smile

My point exactly - DAB doesn't confer any real advantages unless you are in a high-density coverage area (inside the M25, maybe?)

I certainly was more than willing to pay the extra for the built-in SatNav - and even then it was more for the reversing camera than the SatNav. After all, there are FAR better ways to get SatNav in your vehicle (like a Pioneer head unit, for example - which will even give you a reversing camera and the ability to play DVDs).

Problem is, unless you are specifying a new Kuga from scratch, and can negotiate your way OUT of taking the Ford DAB unit as part of an 'enhancement pack', then you are lumbered with the Sony DAB system - which may then have little or no re-sale value, other than to be kept to one side for subsequent re-installation prior to moving the vehicle on to a new owner (and, even then, you would probably get far more by selling it with a decent after-market head unit - as described above).

Cheers,
Niall
bobuptown View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobuptown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2011 at 2:50pm
Niall with respect DAB for me personally is a bit like a Nissan Leaf absolutely pointless but despite the fact that it's £30k and has a ridiculas range in terms of distance it can travel, the main issue is, hardly any of the charging infrastructure is not just there  . . . but anywhere? Nissan have jumped in head first and thrown millions into it. DAB I suspect was also another great idea, on paper, it was rushed out and almost as soon as it went live the DAB authority were announcing, DAB Plus as the next big thing? which was to iron out what is basically a flawed technology as a result of a lack of investment and a poor outdated infrastructure, this technology is hamstrunged by a lack of investment. . . product development costs and when you cut corners all you end up doing is to wind buyers like us up.  
According to UK Digital radio Niall the Meldrum and Mormond Hill DAB transmitter in Aberdeenshire serves your area? Our nearest DAB transmitter is somewhere in the centre of Manchester just over nine miles away.  
Rampman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rampman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2011 at 4:06pm
Bob / Niall - it does very much depend on where you live - I find my DAB excellent - yes I know there isnt a hill within about 30 miles of Peterborough but I do listen to it a lot whilst travelling for work ( 25K miles per year all areas England & Wales ) & have only noticed two brief instances where the signal disappeared .

One other thing - you really need DAB when your favourite radio station is only broadcast in digital !!!!!!

Niall - like your new nickname - now if anyone ever catches you with so much as a speck of dirt on your Kuga...

was -Awd Zetec , appearance pack , Sony Dab + B/T & Usb , mudflaps & bootliner
now - BMW 4 series
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic