FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums!

ALL Mk1 engine management & DPF issues & info

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 282930
Author
Rokuga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rokuga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2018 at 7:31am
This gives me hope. I'll post when I'll speak wit the mechanic..
Sponsored Links

Fillco View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fillco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2018 at 8:30am
I wonder if sometimes a change of fuel has some temporary effect on the engine and its management.

When I got my first Kuga 163 in Jan 2014 as usual I used Asda (so anyone fuel) and I was getting a disappointing 3mpg after about 4000 miles, reached within 2 months on a regular 142 mile round trip and some other long haul journeys. So, decided to try BP fuel for the next month with no apparent increase in mpg and no discernable difference in performance.

First thing I noticed when switching back to Asda fuel was what we'd call pinking or sound of frying chips from the engine when under modest to hard acceleration and it was fairly obvious, but it had disappeared after a 98 mile Journey from Lincoln to Redditch. Present Kuga (58,000 in 2 years) and my previous Mondeo 140 (90,000 mile) was generally Asda or a local (to Lincoln ) Texaco. MPG on the 163 Kuga never got better than over 43 on my regular combined 142 mile round trip the Mondeo returned around 46 mpg. Present Kuga 180 we are up in the 47-48 and higher on just motorway. Still on Asda fuel. There isn't a definitive on the use of fuel, but the EML warning could have been due to just a change of fuel.

Just an observation..
Kuga Titanium X Sport 180 Manual(AWD), Magnetic (with a few extras). March 2016.
Makes you want to drive it, though not necessarily buy it.
kuga4574 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kuga4574 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2018 at 9:40am
They are so fussy modern cars it could be anything
Have you had the fuel filter changed?
Fillco View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fillco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2018 at 6:54pm
Thats the trouble Geoff and Ford probably make money out of them being fussy.

Have you had the fuel filter changed? (I guess thats to Cris!
Kuga Titanium X Sport 180 Manual(AWD), Magnetic (with a few extras). March 2016.
Makes you want to drive it, though not necessarily buy it.
kuga4574 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kuga4574 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2018 at 7:31pm
And check the air filter is not blocked
yes your right Phil far too complicated
Rokuga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rokuga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 4:26am
Hi I changed the filters around this Christmas, about 15000 km ago (along with oil and oil filters- the regular stuff you change at 100 000km).

What I noticed is that it will give me this error when reaching 120km/h on automatic gear, but if I switch to manual (sport/sequencial what ever the S stands for) and go over 3000rpm I can reach 140+ km/h no problem...

I think it might have also something to do with gas pressure and engine load/strain
Rokuga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rokuga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 4:34am
Thank you for the input,

I guess they will check that too, what bothers me though is that I only used premium fuel (the +additives kind, the winter era one) from a trusted source.. I can't believe that after only 100 000 it would get clogged up..

Just an explanation: for the past 5 years I only used one type of fuel, this last month I used fuel from a different source but a good one (OMV is quite big over here), before the error I was running on empty so I used my regular source (a big Romanian supplier called Rompetrol), after I refilled I only got about 15km and got the first error..
kuga4574 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kuga4574 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 4:56am
It sounds like it could be fuel related
is it illegal to remove the dpf in Romaina?
if not  a remove and a remap might be a idea
Rokuga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rokuga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 6:00am
this gives me hope!
Thank you!

Yes it's illegal.
RENRAG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RENRAG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2018 at 8:15pm
If anyone else is still experiencing this issue. I have read through many many many forums and solving 99% of people's issues still tends to be changing the dpf pressure sensor. Of which I now have 2 for sale both genuine ford parts. If anyone is interested I just played them on eBay. Search for;
Genuine Ford DPF Pressure sensor 3M5A-5L200-AB if you want one of them.

To add to this thread.

I attempted to change the sensor first along with a full clean with 2 different solutions. Had no luck.
Confirmed wiring was ok but car would not regen due to the fault reoccurring constantly and yes in the dreaded limp mode.
So I bit the bullet and changed the dpf for a new one.
Funnily enough, still no change and everything had been checked. Then tried a second dpf pressure sensor just in case first was a new part reject.
Found a guy who knew how to bypass the ECU and trick it into thinking the fault never occurred at all on the car. This time the fault stayed clear and on the very next run the fault didn't come back after the couple of minutes it normally took. It's been driven all day and considering we tried everything and it always came back, I'm confident that this time we finally got it.
Rokuga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rokuga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 4:32am
I'm taking the car tomorrow to the mechanic, we'll see. But in the mean time I've refueled from a different supplier altogether (MOL) the fault cleared, and only reappeared after I didn't drive it for three days (was away) but after a day driving the issue again went away (again I refueled from MOL). Been driving on my daily commute (60km+60km a day) for four days now. No issue in sight.. will post after the visit to the shop tomorrow.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 282930
  Share Topic