FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums!

ALL Mk1 engine management & DPF issues & info

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 272829
Author
Ozekuga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ozekuga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 11:37pm
Originally posted by tsobo tsobo wrote:

If they fix this sensor, will I notice any improvement in the overall performance of the car?

If you've had the car for a while have you noticed the performance dropping off?
2016 Kuga Trend MY16.5 Deep Impact Blue
2.0L Ecoboost 242 ps AWD with Sync 2 8" touch screen
LED DRL's, Mud flaps
Sponsored Links

tsobo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 11:56pm
Yes come to think of it off late yes it hasn't been performing that great. Also am I right to assume that I should always drive it at least 70 miles per hour on the motorway, to stop it clogging up again?
Ozekuga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ozekuga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 11:59pm
I have a 2.0L EcoBoost petrol so I can't give you any advice on running a Diesel.
2016 Kuga Trend MY16.5 Deep Impact Blue
2.0L Ecoboost 242 ps AWD with Sync 2 8" touch screen
LED DRL's, Mud flaps
WestCountryKuga View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WestCountryKuga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2017 at 7:26am
An update on my issues regarding DPF and DPS fault codes on my 2.0 TDCi 2WD 140.
It went away for a short period, but didn't last. Basically ended up with what seemed like almost all the DTCs associated with the DPF system. "Soot accumulation", "DPF perfomance", "Pressure Sensor Circuit" etc. etc.
It may have just needed a new DPS, and a regen, and all would be fine, but looked at the sort of money a sensor was, and it wasn't much, but wasn't guaranteed to fix the issue. With the potential for a new DPF required, I decided to just cut my losses and found a local tuning garage online which solved my DPF issues forever (plus a complimentary ECU remap to disable DTCs and regen attempts while taking the engine to 185HP).

£450 later and I no longer have any worries about the DPF or EGR, and won't ever have (from a technical perspective) in the future.

Nice bonus is the remap has made the engine much smoother, and MPG improvement on the in-car trip computer is showing about a 5 - 10% improvement. But am going to get real data on the next few fill-ups.

Would recommend this course of action personally if you don't mind the potential pitfalls.

-WCK
Fillco View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fillco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2017 at 7:36am
Its a shame that the issues of DPF reliability hasn't been addressed by the manufacturers even retrospectively on existing cars, providing that its not because the engine hasn't had a long run to carry out a regeneration because on the majority of vehicles its seems to work well.

I'm going to be slightly controversial here, pity the problem wasn't solved as it's now contributing to another problem.

Kuga Titanium X Sport 180 Manual(AWD), Magnetic (with a few extras). March 2016.
Makes you want to drive it, though not necessarily buy it.
tsobo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tsobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2017 at 10:23pm
So after my engine warning light a significant triangle came up was worried sick, as anticipated the worst. Took it in and they stated it was the pdf sensor. They charged me 175£ for the privilege and car is back to normal. I am now trying to figure out what causes this and due to my limited technical ability am lost. Car has done 132k driven about 40 miles each way Monday to Friday on the motorway and I normally drive grandpa style at 65 miles an hour as am never in a rush. Could this be the course of my issues to drive slow and reasonably at below 2 000 revs?. Eversince they fixed it, she's been a dream and pleasure to drive.
Fillco View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fillco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2017 at 5:33am
Well the sensor itself may have failed and seems to be a common occurrence but it also may have been the rubber pipes connecting the sensor to the exhaust which had become brittle and broken and this is a known problem due to incorrect choice of rubber material but Ford would never admit that. I guess that occurs with all manufacturers, their poor choice design costs the owner in future repairs.
Kuga Titanium X Sport 180 Manual(AWD), Magnetic (with a few extras). March 2016.
Ant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2017 at 8:29am
How do you do a forced DPF regen whilst driving.....
2015 Titanium 2ltr TDCI 150 tiger eye
haggisfrance View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisfrance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 9:39am
I am having problems with my Ford Kuga 2.0 TDCi 150 ch S&S BVM6 4x4 TITANIUM as well, so have been reading up on solutions, as Ford here in France will admit nothing! 
According to an article by RAC I read the DPF (filter) has a lifetime of 100,000 miles. I had a price from the Ford main agent and it is € 320 for a new one.
Does anybody know if the regeneration system on the Kugas is active, or passive?
I get the car back running properly again by running at sustained revs >2,500 for 15 mins. This gets the engine power back to normal and also clears the orange icons from the display. It seems to me that this should be done as a matter of course to "regenerate" the DPF (filter) before my next long journey.
My car is 2 years old, just out of warranty. I have had no problems with it, until I started to drive more than 1,000kms on motorways to Spain. My conclusion is that this is not a long distance cruiser! I am surprised at the lack of help I am receiving from Ford, but it may be a function of the "laissez-faire" attitude the French have towards customers, (particularly if they are not indiginous!).
haggisfrance View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisfrance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 9:42am
Drop down the gears to get the revs up above 2,500 and hold the speed constant for 10 - 15 mins.
This increases the temperature in the exhaust, sufficient to incinerate the soot blocking the filter. 
Fillco View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fillco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2017 at 10:16am
What do you mean by reference to the DPF regeneration as to whether it is active or passive? The regen is normally transparent if your doing some sustained travelling and are you only just noticing this or is this Kuga new to you?

Ford I think will be rather 'cagey' due to some issues with the regen on the MK1 as its similar to the MK4 Mondeo where the sensor connector pipes go brittle due to incorrect choice of material and break, and also DPF sensors were an issue (though how much this issue was the pipes is another thing). You dont indicate that you have had problems with the sensor itself.

In my previous Mondeo, and 2014 Kuga and my present 2016 Kuga I'd travelled between 1500 and 2000 mile a month and I never noticed a regeneration. I stopped doing the miles in June and I think I can just detect when my car is carrying out a regen if I haven't been on a long run in 500 miles or so.

Edited by Fillco - 04 Aug 2017 at 10:19am
WestCountryKuga View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestCountryKuga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2017 at 7:42am
I assume you are meaning by passive or active, that if it were passive, the latent heat from the exhaust gasses is enough to burn off the particles blocking the DPF, whereby active you are meaning there is a mechanism to heat the DPF for a certain duration for a regen?
If so, then I would say it is "active" as the exhaust system has a fuel vaporizer which when attempting the regen will vaporize and ignite fuel into the exhaust prior to the DPF heating up the gases to above 600 C to regen the DPF.

By the sounds of it, if this keeps occurring, I would get it sorted one way or another; sooner rather than later. One problem can so easily lead onto another with this exhaust system in my opinion.
320 Euro for a complete new DPF sounds almost too good to be true though, (unless that is just the DPF part and it is a reconditioned one).

-WCK
redjag View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redjag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2017 at 4:12pm
Hi I have not been on here for a while but now getting the occasional P2002 code with orange engine light on dashboard this only happens on start ups when it is a cool or cold damp day !
I have checked all the usual suspects e.g. rubber pipes to DPF electrical connections etc, no probs.
So then I started to think what happens when it is cold and damp and came up with the Intake Air Temperature sensor reading the incoming air temp.
I got one at EurocarParts for around £21.00 and replaced it , one torx screw time 1 minute, and have had no problems for ages, on checking the original I found it to be coated in oil from the turbo I suspect so cleaned it with air mass cleaner or the like and kept it in the boot .
Had to change my cleaned up sensor today after the light came back on right after I removed fault codes .
Dirty one cleaned up and back in the boot for next time , time for job including opening bonnet and removing engine cover less than 2 minutes.
Now how do I stop the very small amount of oil mist emanating from the turbo and entering the intake pipework any ideas.
KugaBuga View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KugaBuga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 2:59am
You should have no oil mist from a turbo, your seals are wearing which is letting the oil through. Are you sure it's not coming from the EGR valve
Kingofyick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingofyick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2017 at 9:30pm
Hi people on a new topic can anyone give me any tips on immobilizer problems.just pulling away from lights lost all power all lights still on .brand new battery on it. Try to restart try turn over immob.light flashing won't start .any help most welcome
Fillco View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fillco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2017 at 4:56am
We guess your spare key does work.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 272829
  Share Topic