FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums!

ALL Mk1 engine management & DPF issues & info

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 28>
Author
Harbrimar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harbrimar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2009 at 7:00pm
The DPF was removed and checked and found to be okay. The sensor has been replaced (consists of a plastic valve shaped thing with two 3' long aluminium tubes). So far, about 60 miles of use everything seems fine.
Sponsored Links

jac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2009 at 2:03pm
I have been having a simialr issue but it is not yet resolved.  First of all I kept getting the oil service warning this came on about five times with the dealer telling me it was resolved each time (I had oil changes, filter changed, new software downloaded etc).  The next time it went from oil service warning to engine malfunction with some loss of power.  I was told by local dealer to carry on driving it as ford assist would help if it stopped completely (very reassuring).  That time I was told it was yet another software update and it was definitly resolved now.

Last week I had yet another engine malfunction.  It has been in the garage since and they have been unable to reset it.  I have been told ford technical are going to visit and look at the car today as they are unable to assist any futher over the phone.

Frankly I am hoping they are unable to resolve it as I no longer want the car I have lost all confidence and would rather cut my losses.  I have had to take it to the garage 6 times in 1 year - very poor for a new car.  Any advice how I can proceed from here?
jac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2009 at 10:23am

A quick update - I have been advised that the my car has had to have yet another software update (this must be the third) and a valve has to be replaced.  They 'believe' this will sort the problem and it will not reaccure again until the next service is due.  I have no confidence that this will work having been told this twice before. I have no choice but to keep the car now for another year and I really don't want it.  I buy a new car to prevent all this hassel and have never had a problem with a new car before.  Loved the car when I brought it for all the reasons people rave about it on this site but I do not have the time or understanding employers to be mucked about like this taking it in and out of the garage so I want rid.

xanadu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xanadu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2010 at 1:01pm
I had a similar problem with the fuse box it turned out the aircon pipework situated over the fuse box condensates and the resulting drips of water fall onto the fused box. remedy- replace fuse box under warranty and insulate said piping problem solved.
Unfortunately second problem developed totally different ENGINE MALFUNCTION! no loss of power or weird noises just loss of cruise control then it would clear with no trace of the problem. The boys in blue stopped us, the brake lights were on! the fault turned out to be sticking brake pedal switch which would not allow cruise control and confused the engine management. hope this helps others with similar problems.    
TWO LITTLE DOVES View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TWO LITTLE DOVES Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2010 at 10:26pm
Hi, I've had My Ford Kuga Titanium since DEC 09, When I picked it up I loved it, until i noticed three holes in the leather seat drivers side, the dealer I bought it from has still to replace the faulty seat, but more annoying than that I have had to take my Kuga back to the dealer for an Engine Malfunction 4 times in the last month, The have replaced bits and uploaded an new programme and when i called to see if was ready after they have had it for a week they tell me yes it's fixed, I drive the 45 min drive to get it and they say actually when we started it up the engine malfunction has come back on, When this happens I can't accelerate or use cruise control and won't go over 60mph, The dealer hasn't a clue whats wrong with it and they now still have my Kuga, I'm thinking I want my money back (whats the point of having a snazzy new car if you don't ever get to drive it )but don't know where I stand, Any help in either solving the problem or info on my rights would be greatly appreciated Thanks
Gazwats View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Kuga Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gazwats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2010 at 10:42pm
Mine came back from the dealer on Thurs having had the engine malfunction warning message, you're lucky to get yours over 60 as mine couldn't get anywhere close to doing 30!

My problem turned out to be in dealer speak "the cat sensor" and was sorted in just a few hours. I think there's been various other posts on this site where others have had similar warning messages but been for various different problems. Your garage should know straight away what the problem is by hooking the Kuga up to their diagnostic laptop.
09 Zetec with factory fitted: parking sensors, xenon headlights, roof rails, tyre deflation system
Feel like adding your Kuga pictures to Flickr?
TWO LITTLE DOVES View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TWO LITTLE DOVES Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2010 at 10:45pm
Thanks Gazwats the garage has hooked it up three times but they say that there is nothing else they can do so need to speak direct to Ford!
quatroxquatro View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quatroxquatro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2010 at 11:28pm
As Gazwats says this is probably, based on feedback in this and other forums, the DPF (Diesel Particulates Filter) sensor in the exhaust system that is blocked or faulty. The Kuga was delayed in release due to a faulty batch of these sensors, but should have been fine on your build. Maybe you only ever make short journeys? This will not give the DPF time to burn itself clean, and you may have this symptom as a consequence.

I would take the car to another dealer.

Edited by quatroxquatro - 03 Apr 2010 at 11:31pm

Stick-in-the-mud? Moi? My flickr Kuga set
Hartly View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hartly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2010 at 12:22pm

I think the suggestion from quatroxquatro may be your best way to go.

There are so many sensors on a modern car that trying to find the problem is the main crux of actually sorting it out and you may find that the dealer is looking so hard that he cant see a problem that is staring him right in the face and another dealer may put his hand straight on the problem.

Would you beleive I once had a car that the ABS light would come on any time it saw fit.  It was back at the dealers on about 5 occasions before I took it somewehere else and it turned out to be odd tyres !!!! On one axle i had a conti and a dunlop and the abs registered different tread patterns.  The only problem was then when it did this it went into safety mode and I could do no more than 30 miles an hour for 40 miles and then it reset itself.

Good luck and let us know how it goes .............

Sorry guys has to Panther Black all the time ...... Zetec AWD and loving it
skimad View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skimad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2010 at 12:44pm
Hi All
      Has any Kuga owner had a problem with this part.My Kugas engine management light has illuminated(orange) and my local garage said the cause was this filter.They said they had cleaned it out but the light came back on in acouple of days.Is it easy to change and where is it located?
kugey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kugey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2010 at 4:13pm
Has anyone had problems with the diesel particulate filter blocking on their Kuga's due to urban driving.
Just inquiring as I have heard a lot of rumors going around about this,all makes not just Ford's and was wondering if it's a major problem or not, or if it's like when the catalytic converters came out on petrol cars and everyone saying they would need to be changed to get it through a m.o.t every year

Elder View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2010 at 5:37pm
Hi Kugey,
No problem with the DPF filter if you follow the instructions on page 101 in the Owners handbook.
I've had my Kuga from new, 9 months old now.

kugey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kugey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2010 at 6:06pm
Elder, haven't got the Kuga yet, what's it say on page 101
most of my journeys will be short ones in the week, longer at weekends, thinking now have I made the right decision about a diesel, but don't think I could afford to run the petrol version.
Thanks
daryl631 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daryl631 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2010 at 2:24am
I have come across this problem in work the dpf needs to regenerate when soot levels increase so the ecu puts extra fuel in on combustion or injects into exhaust system but this is only done when engine is warmand doing over 2000rpm the problem is if you are only doing urban driving or pottering down motorway in 6th gear the engine does not stay at 2000rpm long enough,sometimes the solution is for me to drive car at over 2500rpm for over 20minutes but this only works if the dpf is not blocked too much then you have to go into dealer for forced regeneration or new dpf and this is not covered under warantee,if you only do urban driving you may want to get petrol version
daryl631 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daryl631 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2010 at 1:59pm
Check my reply its what we advise aa members with dpf faults
BruceKuga View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BruceKuga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2010 at 2:34pm
Most of our journeys mon > fri are very short (1 mile)!! We did 9000 miles in our first Kuga without problem and have done 5500 miles in this one, again without problem.  I am sure the designers have thought of most problems before we create them. 
Diesel is still the best decision for us. 
1: It is very torquey and fun to drive.
2: When on a proper drive or holiday, we get 44 > 46 mpg fully loaded (2adults, 2 children and a boot FULL of luggage).
June '16 Titanium X 180AWD, Appearance & convenience packs, Shadow Black. Towbar/13 pin. Mudflaps.
kugey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kugey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2010 at 4:38pm
Thanks BruceKuga, this is similar to what mine will be doing, that's made me feel better.The way I was reading it everyone who was doing predominately short journeys were going to have problems,
not just Ford's but all makes
Elder View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2010 at 5:40pm
Hi Kugey,

Elder here again,

From the book:
Unlike a normal filter which requires periodic replacement, the DPF has been designed to regenerate, or clean itself to maintain operating efficiency. The regeneration process takes place automatically. However some driving conditions mean that you mayneed to support the regeneration process.

If you drive only short distances or your journeys contain frequent stopping and starting, occasional trips with the following conditions could assist the regeneration process;

Drive your vehicle, preferably on a main road or motorway, for up to 20 minutes avoiding prolonged idling, but always observing speed limits and road conditions.

Do not switch off the ignition.

Use a lower gear than normal to maintain a higher engine speed during this journey, where appropriate.

I do mostly short journeys around town, and have only done 3000 miles in 9 months with no DPF problem.

I have to take the wife shopping out of town each week, so I try to assist the regeneration process at the same time.

Bob
daryl631 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daryl631 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2010 at 1:41am
Mostly getting problems with certain german manufacturers no names, but not seen any fords yet which is a good sign giving the amount of fords on the road.
Rampman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rampman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2010 at 3:03am
I think the Nissan Cashcow also gets singled out for plenty of DPF problems....
was -Awd Zetec , appearance pack , Sony Dab + B/T & Usb , mudflaps & bootliner
now - BMW 4 series
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 28>
  Share Topic