FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums!

ALL Mk1 engine management & DPF issues & info

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 29>
Author
bigtaz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigtaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ALL Mk1 engine management & DPF issues & info
    Posted: 24 Aug 2008 at 11:22am
Hi Folks

First post as I have only had the Kuga since Friday.  Very pleased with the spec and especially the looks, I picked a Titanium in Vision Blue and it looks awesome. 

Would really recommed the dealer, Archers in Ashby, they were fantastic to deal with.  Had a few issues getting the car taxed as I live in N. Ireland but it was all resolved in the long run.

Car is misbehaving though but will hopefully get it to my local dealer tomorrow and I'll let you know How I get on.  I keep getting an Engine Malfunction warning every time I start the car and the Crusie Control does not turn on, perhaps they may be related. 

The Engine Malfuction started on the M6 on Friday and I was advised that it was okay to drive by the dealer, as I had a 300 mile trip to catch a ferry in Stranraer I was a bit worried but she kept going and got me there thru the mess on the M6 on a Bank Holiday weekend.

Can't compalin about the car yet as people keep looking at it and telling me they love the colour, but I may change my mind depending on how I get on tomorrow.

Anyone else had engein or CC problems?
Sponsored Links

bigtaz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigtaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2008 at 6:08pm
The wonderful Clap guys at my local Ford dealership found the fault.  The brake pedal switch had jammed down which meant that the Cruise Control thought I was braking all the time and the engine was just plain confused.

All fixed with the minimum of fuss and the Kuga is well again
Mike B View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2008 at 7:14am
Hi Jamie.

Picked up my Kuga Titanium last Tuesday, Friday I get the engine malfunction signal, turbo siezed.   Se my posting under siezed turbo.

Hope all goes well

Mike B
Mance View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2008 at 8:26am

Hi All,

Picked up my Kuga yesterday, on the way home the engine malfunction warning appeared. Had AA to check it who said it was OK to drive but recommended getting it checked at my local dealer.

On the way to work this morning had a number of people flashing me, turns out my brake lights are stuck on.

Sounds similar to BigTaz's issue, fingers crossed I'll get it back today.

scotty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2008 at 5:21pm
Hi all, had my Kuga 3 weeks and the engine malfunction keeps coming on which also drops the revs on the engine. My ford dealer informed me it was the carbon filter not burning off the soot , they played about with it for 3 hours and it's now on most of the time.
I'm very worried now and beginning to regret buying it. 
Rspannerman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rspannerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2008 at 5:31pm
Have you read the manual about regenerstion to clean the carbon filter??? I would take it straight back to your dealer it should be a quick fix !
scotty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2008 at 6:08pm

This is what they were supposed to be doing and its gone mental since their efforts. On collection of the vehicle from the service dept they handed me the key and said it was fixed but as soon as i started the car the warnung engine malfunction came on. The mechanic said take it for a blast to clear it but how do you do that with low revs???????????? I'm not sure i have any confidence in the service dept after saying that!  see what tomorrow brings 

n.                                            ui 

gazpops1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gazpops1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2008 at 2:52am
Cry

Not sure if this discussion is still going.
I'm new to this owners site.

I have had my Titanium Kuga since mid July and have had the engine malfunction problem 3 times since then. It seems to be triggered each time I take the car for a Jet wash so I assumed something had got wet resulting in a problem with the sensors on the car. Much like most of the other posts on this forum the engine malfunction signal comes on and I can only rev to a minimum level enough to change up in the gears; but the car seems to be getting worse now. I have already had it serviced by Hendy Ford twice now; who have spent a week trying to figure out the problem with little success of fixing it.

So;does anyone by chance know the definitive reason why this broblem is triggered and how to fix it because my local Hendy Ford dealer doesn't have a clue and I'm looking at the prospect of losing my car to them for another week whilst they try and discover what is wrong with it again

Pleased to hear any ideas on the matter?

Many thanks
Gaz

quatroxquatro View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quatroxquatro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2008 at 4:59am
Hi Gaz,

This post is from some time back:

Fred was having different problems, probably related to water in the fuse box. Seeing as your probs seem to return after jetwashing, it could be that this is the case here too.
There are a few other posts about strange electrical related problems, so I suggest you aviod the jet washes (I always use a hand wash place or wash it myself) and see if the probs stay away. I have had my K about the same lenght of time as you without problems.

Good luck, Thumbs%20Up

Stick-in-the-mud? Moi? My flickr Kuga set
Notts Apothecary View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Notts Apothecary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2009 at 12:34pm
CryThe Kuga has been great.  Until June 29th, that is, when the engine management icon showed. A call to the local Ford dealer and it was checked promptly on Thurs July 2nd 9.15am 'there is a fault - we have to order a part from Ford'. No problem with this as we didn't need the car, so said to keep it until 3rd. No word on the 3rd, so called at 4.00pm - 'Ford don't have the part, next poss. delivery will be Tuesday'. Told the fault was DPF filter, assured the car was OK to drive so collected it at 5.00pm, asked if I could have a replacement car under the terms of the Ford Direct warranty - answer no. Car drove badly and red warning light had appeared. Called person at local dealer again Sat am who said not to drive it and he couldn't authorise a replacement - have to talk to Ford Direct. Tried this but Ford Direct is closed at weekend! Have an important 3-day trip on Monday so have had to rent a car from Avis!
bobuptown View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobuptown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2009 at 5:55pm
Hi Notts Apothecary  Oh dear not very good service from Ford.  DP Filter  a word I stumbled across many times in the brochures and motor mags when I was looking to change to a diesel it appears to be a problem which is suffered by all marques, no expert here but appears problem more acute when driver is doing a lot of short stop start runs? apparently short stop start trips can create a build up of soot which clog the filter, just to complicate matters  one of many engine mangement/exhaust sensors can also fail  and activate dash light,  hey isn't technology brilliant?
Notts Apothecary View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Notts Apothecary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2009 at 2:26pm
Thanks for that. The Kuga has a soot overload warning lamp (p72 in my manual) and instructions on how to regenerate the filter (p110). In this case, the lamp didn't show up so the fault must have been something else. ~~Phoned the dealer this morning for a progress report, 'the DPF has arrived this morning and we were about to phone you'. Also phoned Ford direct to discuss a claim for the car hire, to be told I have to talk to the dealer.
ditabl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ditabl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2009 at 6:32pm
 Hi guys,
  Been driving this evening with 50 kmph when suddenly and instantly ''engine malfunction" lit up.Instantly.Noticed nothing else at all like engine temperature etc.Done 7000 kmh.Has antbody encountered the same?
                                                                                                           Thanks
HODGE View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HODGE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2009 at 8:14pm
hi ditabl,
you dont say  that  you had a complete engine shutdown,or not. and having normal temperatures, in water and oil, it may have just been a  glich in the  computer  proccessing
unit that controls,the engine management, i have not heard off any  such failures.
hope it turns out fineSmile
ditabl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ditabl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2009 at 8:48pm
Thanks hodge,
  the engine seems to work just fine,no engine shutdown,no temperature rising.Drove 40 km since then,everything Ok.Only a slight creeking noise when accelerating,but probably has to do nothing with the signal.
Normang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Normang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2009 at 9:18pm

hi ditabl,

I had a similar experience a fornight ago. Alarm, engine malfunction message and amber lit engine symbol followed by reduced/limited power mode. All other lights dials etc were as normal. Switching off and restarting cancelled the message and restored power whilst the amber engine symbol remained on.
However, the same fault message reappeared within a mile - erratically - sometimes immediately followed by loss of power, sometimes we had full power for another mile.
To cut a long and continuing story very short (lets not talk about Ford Assistance) the Ford dealership checked the car, upgraded the software and the fault disappeared. No actual fault found. Not an entirely satisfactory result (I was without my car for some four days) albeit the car has done some 400 kilometers since the "repair" without a problem. Car had done 4000 miles/6400 kilometers.
I hope you have a better experience.
WAZ1 View Drop Down
Senior Groupie
Senior Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WAZ1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2009 at 10:40pm
mine was in for the same thing as its happened twice, the first time drove 40 mile on the M8 after it went off by itself and no loss of power when it was on or off. Took it in after the second time and no fault appearing in the cars memory so was told nothing to worry about, if it comes on and its affecting the cars power etc then i've to get it in otherwise theres nothing wrong with it. Its done 6500 miles now
Harbrimar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harbrimar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2009 at 8:46pm
Had a similar problem last weekend. Engine malfunction light came on, went into limp mode so I called Ford Assistance and got a very good response with AA turning up within an hour. AA man connected his lap top to the car and got several fault codes - P244B, P244B+, P2453+. He cleared the codes (Ford garage wasnt happy about that) but fault remained (new codes P2493 and P2463+ appeared) and Kuga was recovered to Ford garage. End result was that the Diesel Particulate filter was replaced with car offf road for a week. I have done 5000 miles to date but only 6 miles since collecting fro repairer. Hope the problem has been solved. Had a loan car through Ford Assistance so I was very happy with the service.
ditabl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ditabl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2009 at 9:01pm
 Two days after the problem appeared I took her to the dealer.They connected the lap top but they found absolutely nothing.The car's incident memory was clear.They said it was an accidental fact.Probably a sensor's fault.Done 1000 km since then,nothing came up.Good luck with your car.
Harbrimar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harbrimar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2009 at 9:30pm
Unfortunately the same problem has occurred less than 60 miles after the diesel particulate filter (DPF) assembly was replaced. I was overtaking in the outside lane of the A3 doing about 70 when the chimes sounded, engine malfunction light came on and the car immediately lost speed which was disconcerting for a tail gating car behind me. This time round the Kuga regained power and the engine  malfunction warning dissapeared but the yellow engine symbol remained on. I drove to the dealer and a computer check was carried out while the engine was still running. Basically much the same indications as before; differential pressure fault and DPF fault. They spoke to Ford Technical while I was there and they have indicated that a batch of DPF's have problem with some holes that have not been drilled properly or failing that there is an issue with the sensors. Going back in again on Thursday watch this space!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 29>
  Share Topic