FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums!

Advice please! Diff whine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mattarazi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattarazi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advice please! Diff whine
    Posted: 10 Jan 2017 at 3:46pm
Strange one here.  I "think" there's a worn bearing noise from the rear of the Kuga (Mk1, 2010, AWD diesel).

Taken it to local indy, rate them pretty highly, they tell me that they had the stephoscope out and no problem with the wheel bearings - they tell me it's the diff.  They cannot touch it as it needs to be main dealer programmed.

Not entirely sure that's right, but OK. (I gather Haldex needs programming...)

All 4 tyres, in my 25k miles ownership, have been pretty much within tolerance for similarity of circumference.  Replaced all 4 prior to taking in, to rule out this as forums are full of tales of tyres causing this noise.

Possibly unrelated, had an episode of clutch problems about 800 miles ago, which simply went away - changing into 6th caused a heck of a rumbling from the clutch and accompanying noise like a box of spanners fallen off the underside.  Hasn't recurred.

No faults registering at all - no warning lights, nothing logged using my ELM327 scanner either (FORscan hooked up to check).

The whine picks up from about 15mph, doesn't really vary - does decrease when properly warmed up (20 miles or more driven at 50mph +). 

I know there's lots of discussion about Haldex/Diff whines etc., wonder if anyone can give an informed opinion on this one - booked in to dealers next Monday as that's the earliest they can see it, and I will be wanting to be shown exactly what the problem(s) is (are)!

Thanks in advance everyone... 
Sponsored Links

tarmo120 View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tarmo120 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 4:03am
First I'd try different tyres. My winter tires make a same noise you describe. Summer tyres on the other hand make almost no noise. At least not noticable noise. And go from there.
My car (2008 MK1) has done 203k km. And I've replaced only the front wheel bearings. Absolutely no other bearing noises.
2008 Ford Kuga Titanium AWD Tango(Red)
GKRK View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GKRK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 1:11pm
We have exactly the same issue albeit on a 2.5 4x4 turbo model. The dreaded 15mph whine under the rear seat.
The rear unit needs an oil and filter change and the pump cleaning.
We are having running battles with Ford. Infact Volvo have been more help but will not service the rear diff. (Our engine is Volvo)
Ford C/S atrocious and keep asking us to take the vehicle to Ford only to be told they wont service it.
So it looks like a summons is going in as we have a vehicle that we cannot drive.
Can anybody let me know if their is a TSB on the rear diff???
Kuga Titanium 2.5 Turbo, Induction Kit, Intercooler, Stainless Scorpion Exhaust System, polished black alloys chrome lip, reversing camera.
mattarazi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattarazi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 2:25pm
Many thanks for this.

Based on the (lots!) stuff I've read, I'm kind of hoping that a simple oil & filter change will fix.  If Ford won't do it, then I'll have to find somewhere that will (or do it myself - there are guides online here that I'll use).

Anyone know of places that will do this?
GKRK View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GKRK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 4:36pm
You'd better hope the pump has not failed the same as me. It could be just blocked and covered in sludge.
Kuga Titanium 2.5 Turbo, Induction Kit, Intercooler, Stainless Scorpion Exhaust System, polished black alloys chrome lip, reversing camera.
mattarazi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattarazi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2017 at 4:44pm
Well, I can't get any error codes out of it, and it's never given any warnings.  So, checking with the garage, they are 99% it's the diff whining and not the haldex.

Booked for a swapped diff tomorrow, let's see if that fixes it.
tarmo120 View Drop Down
Kuga King!
Kuga King!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tarmo120 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2017 at 5:21pm
But did you try different tyres?
2008 Ford Kuga Titanium AWD Tango(Red)
mattarazi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattarazi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 8:39am
Per original post:

"All 4 tyres, in my 25k miles ownership, have been pretty much within tolerance for similarity of circumference.  Replaced all 4 prior to taking in, to rule out this as forums are full of tales of tyres causing this noise."
mattarazi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattarazi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 8:39am
Diff repaired and noise gone, all good :-)
Delboy777 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delboy777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2017 at 1:16pm
So what was wrong in the end ?
mattarazi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mattarazi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2017 at 4:54pm
Diff repaired.  Detail was the pinion bearing and associated flanges, washers etc.  Oil replaced, haldex oil replaced at same time, all good.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic