New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - How to - Adjust xenon headlights for driving in EU
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Ford Kuga Owners Club Forums!

How to - Adjust xenon headlights for driving in EU

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Gazwats View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Kuga Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gazwats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to - Adjust xenon headlights for driving in EU
    Posted: 16 Oct 2009 at 8:25am
I posted this a while back in another part of the forum but seeing as we've now got the new How To area thought it worthwhile reposting the details here.

Originally posted by Gazwats Gazwats wrote:

Hi all,

There's been a few posts asking how you manually change the headlight beams on Kuga's fitted with Xenon headlights.

Well having taken the Kuga down to the dealership this morning to replace a blown indicator bulb (after just 5 weeks Unhappy) the fitter printed off the relevant page from the Ford technical bible.

He said it's as simple as three clockwise turns of the outermost (nearest to the front wings) yellow screws on the headlight housing.

Edited by Gazwats - 16 Oct 2009 at 8:27am
09 Zetec with factory fitted: parking sensors, xenon headlights, roof rails, tyre deflation system
Feel like adding your Kuga pictures to Flickr?
Sponsored Links

Gazwats View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Kuga Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gazwats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2010 at 11:08am
Just a quick update on this:

I spent the festive period in Europe and decided to use a cross head screwdriver to adjust the headlights with the end result being that the inner part of the yellow plastic housing is now mangled.

So I'd recommend that anyone planning to take their Kuga abroad uses a No 7 allen key to make the adjustment instead.
09 Zetec with factory fitted: parking sensors, xenon headlights, roof rails, tyre deflation system
KugaConvert View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KugaConvert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2012 at 1:54pm
Hi.
Sorry to resurrect an old topic, but when I tried the technique using the rearmost yellow allen screw on my HID Xenon units (Kuga 2010), only the vertical alignment changed;  ie, the amount of dip.  For driving in France I need to adjust the horizontal alignment, ie move the beams direction from left to right, to suit the fact that they drive on the wrong side of the road in France. Does anyone know how to do this, or indeed if this adjustmant can be made on the Kuga?  
PS, the frontmost yellow screw didn't seem to do anything to the dipped beams
Gazwats View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Kuga Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gazwats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2012 at 11:24pm
Originally posted by KugaConvert KugaConvert wrote:

Hi.
Sorry to resurrect an old topic, but when I tried the technique using the rearmost yellow allen screw on my HID Xenon units (Kuga 2010), only the vertical alignment changed;  ie, the amount of dip.  For driving in France I need to adjust the horizontal alignment, ie move the beams direction from left to right, to suit the fact that they drive on the wrong side of the road in France. Does anyone know how to do this, or indeed if this adjustmant can be made on the Kuga?  
PS, the frontmost yellow screw didn't seem to do anything to the dipped beams
That post of mine above still works perfectly fine on a 2009 Kuga when I do my twice yearly driving trips through France.

So unless the set up on the xenon lights changed between the 2009 & 2010 versions of the Kuga I'd suggest taking it to a dealer and asking them to print out or show you on a screen the relevant & current page from the Ford Etis technical site (which is where the print out in the top most picture is taken from.)

I simply asked at the service desk of my local dealer & they were more than happy to oblige. In fact it might be worth printing this page off and explaining to them that what works for someone else doesn't actually work for you so what can they suggest? 

KugaConvert View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KugaConvert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2012 at 4:40pm
Thanks Gazwats.
This afternoon I popped in to the local Ford dealer, who was very helpful.
They checked the adjustment procedure for HIDs for a 2010 Kuga on their system and confirmed that your technique was still current.
They also said however, that this adjustment using the rearmost yellow allen screw affects only the maximum height of the beam that the auto mechanism can set.    
This seems to be the recommended procedure for driving on the right; ie, just keep the beams low.
There appears to be no way of adjusting the horizontal angle. 
Thanks for your help.

john_o View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john_o Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2014 at 8:59pm
really helpful thanks Gaz
2010 Mk1 TDCI 4wd Manual Titanium X Frozen White | badge overlays | AWD rear badge | ELMConfig+cable
HeavyD101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HeavyD101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2015 at 10:36pm
Hi All,

I'm a newbie to the Kuga world and to the owners club, having just purchased a 2012 Titanium-X. 
So far i have loved every mile of it.

I am due to travel to France in July and have been looking at headlamp deflectors, as it turns out I have Xenons which apparently won't work with deflectors and the lamps can apparently overheat with deflector use!

I found this post, which has been most useful but, before I travel I was basically wondering if this is still the common practise for the adjustment for travelling to the continent or is there new/updated method.

Thanks in advance.
Dan
Gazwats View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Kuga Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gazwats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2015 at 9:09am
Originally posted by HeavyD101 HeavyD101 wrote:

Hi All,

I'm a newbie to the Kuga world and to the owners club, having just purchased a 2012 Titanium-X. 
So far i have loved every mile of it.

I am due to travel to France in July and have been looking at headlamp deflectors, as it turns out I have Xenons which apparently won't work with deflectors and the lamps can apparently overheat with deflector use!

I found this post, which has been most useful but, before I travel I was basically wondering if this is still the common practise for the adjustment for travelling to the continent or is there new/updated method.

Thanks in advance.
Dan
Yep it's still the same procedure, it limits the height of the light projected rather than moves the light beam from left to right. 

Edited by Gazwats - 22 Jun 2015 at 9:09am
HeavyD101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HeavyD101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2015 at 9:11am
Thats great, thank you for your help.

Dan
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic